Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2009, 08:01 AM   #1

27RBEC Converter DEAD

I can't believe it. I've had this thing barely a month and the darn converter crapped out. I noticed the other day when I was re-arranging some stuff in the TT that the lights were dim. I checked the shore power and it was fine as the radio was working. I checked the fuses they were fine. I grabbed the voltmeter and checked the battery. 6.4 volts going into it. I called the dealer and spoke with a tech. He advised that it probably was dead and to bring TT in. I asked him if this is something that happens frequently. He advised no but it has happened.

I'm a little worried that this could occur again, and again etc.......

2009 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0
2009 Wildwood LE 27RBEC
brittsnbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Sorry to hear about the converter problem. It's a mechanical component and could just be the bad one in the bunch manufactured. We went through 2 Executive DVD Home Theatre Players before we got one that worked fine. I haven't heard of any big problems with converters so I wouldn't worry about getting another dud. If it was made by the manufacturer of the Concertone Systems that would be another story. Good luck.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
Site Team

You most likely have a WFCO converter. As said above, anything electronic or mechanical can go out. The good news is that most electronic failures are infant mortality and rare. You just had the good luck to get one of the bad ones. They'll install a new one and you'll probably go for years with it. Don't let this minor issue worry you.

I would press for a new battery if that one was reading less than 10.5 volts. If it got down to 6.5 volts it damaged the battery.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:04 AM   #4

Hopefully that will be the only problem. However in my quest to figure out what was going on I pulled the outside panel off of the refer to see if it was dead. I noticed looking inside that the drain tube for the refer was in a "U" shape pointing up. I noticed there was a tag attached and read it. It was in reference to positioning the tube outside of the TT to prevent the tube from draining inside the trailer. Now that kind of torqued me. So I gently pulled the tube and found the end and passed it out the side of the cover so that it would vent to the outside. I will point that out when I take it back in a few weeks to get the converter replaced.

As far as the battery goes, it appears to be taking a full charge. We will see, I'm headed out today for a weekend Trout fishing trip.

Thanks for the input!!

2009 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0
2009 Wildwood LE 27RBEC
Old 05-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We had the same thing with our refrigerator tube as well. We found it when the tech did our demonstration. He corrected it as soon as he saw it. He was showing us the access panel and how to take it off as well as how to turn on the gas valve. I wonder if it's common practice to leave it tied up or if it's just a rare occurence.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #6

bought a 2008 rockwood 8315ss. had the same problem after using it about a month.called the dealer and was told they did not have a replacement converter in stock,but would order me one. while i was waiting for that one to arrive,i hooked a battery charger to the battery and everything worked fine. i have since put in the replacement converter. no problem so far this year.
realebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:51 AM   #7

Spoke with the service tech at Olathe RV in Gardner Ks. He advised they would get one on the way and call me when it's in. He said they can install it while I wait.

I like that kind of service.

2009 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0
2009 Wildwood LE 27RBEC

Tags
wildwood