You most likely have a WFCO converter. As said above, anything electronic or mechanical can go out. The good news is that most electronic failures are infant mortality and rare. You just had the good luck to get one of the bad ones. They'll install a new one and you'll probably go for years with it. Don't let this minor issue worry you.
I would press for a new battery if that one was reading less than 10.5 volts. If it got down to 6.5 volts it damaged the battery.
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!