Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2018, 07:21 AM   #1

27RKSS Cable/Satellite Connection

Have question for any 27RKSS owners out there. I haven't been able to make the cable connection to my TV work since we have had the TT. I have tried both connectors on the side and, I have a fairly new Vizio TV. I cannot get any of the campground cable to work. Any ideas on where to start? BTW, I can get some digital reception from the antenna.

Thanks!

JR
2016 F-250
2016 27RKSS
JRnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:17 AM   #2

Hey JR. Just wondering if when you hook up and trying the cable, do you push the button to turn off the antenna booster? The booster on will block the cable signal, so I thought I would ask.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:34 AM   #3
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz1 View Post
Hey JR. Just wondering if when you hook up and trying the cable, do you push the button to turn off the antenna booster? The booster on will block the cable signal, so I thought I would ask.
X2. The antenna amplifier must be in the off position to receive the CATV signal through the outside connection. Also keep in mind the SAT connection is designed to be connected to a dish with your SAT receiver controlling the LNB(s) on the dish.

Once the connections are made for CATV you must conduct a scan for the CATV channels on the VIZIO set-up menu. Antenna and Cable scans must be accomplished according to your set-up.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #4

Check the input function on the TV to make sure you have it set to the correct source. If you are getting channels via the antenna, that is what your current source is. Change it to cable, then do the channel scan. Worked for me.
otrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:21 AM   #5

Thanks for the input. I have tried all of the suggestions with no success. I may have to pull the connector panel inside and see how everything is connected? I'm glad we bring a lot of movies to have something to watch.

I have been thinking of getting a dish to carry along for the two times of the day, we actually watch TV. I like to keep up with what is going on with the news and weather when, we are on the road. Would like to have an automatic portable dish but, don't want to pay the price for one. Thinking of a standard dish but, not sure how much of a pain they are to setup after, you've been on the road all day?

JR
2016 F-250
2016 27RKSS
Old 02-07-2018, 09:23 AM   #6

It's also possible that the cable signal wasn't coming out if the pedestal at the campground. Is it possible to run a cable from your house to the outside of your camper to check that. If the cable channels still don't work, it's likely in the cable inside the unit. Stuff does get pinched, or cut, or not connected during the build.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #7

On my RLSS (which I assume is similar) I have to move the tv cable to the other wall jack, make sure the power button is off, and then connect the campground cable to the cable input jack (not the satellite jack). I then program the tv to search for cable channels.
I don't have satellite but there is a lot of info on the forum. Do a search. From what little I know I would get a portable dish ($300) and then a Dish box with monthly service option (even though I use Direct TV at home). Apparently Dish has better offering for RVs.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #8

Oh. I forgot. Make sure the cable/antenna switch on the wall is in the correct position. Happened to me. I was ready to call a professional when I found the switch. FIXED. At least it was for me.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:21 AM   #9
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRnTX View Post
Thanks for the input. I have tried all of the suggestions with no success. I may have to pull the connector panel inside and see how everything is connected? I'm glad we bring a lot of movies to have something to watch.

I have been thinking of getting a dish to carry along for the two times of the day, we actually watch TV. I like to keep up with what is going on with the news and weather when, we are on the road. Would like to have an automatic portable dish but, don't want to pay the price for one. Thinking of a standard dish but, not sure how much of a pain they are to setup after, you've been on the road all day?

JR
2016 F-250
2016 27RKSS

Not that hard to do. You can find simple 18" dishes and tripods real cheap. There are apps that will give you the azimuth and elevation settings according to zip code. You'll need a compass for azimuth, but there are apps for that also. The biggest problem is getting a clear shot at the southeastern sky where the satellites are. If a campground is heavily wooded it may obstruct the signal. Also, the farther north you go the lower the dish elevation, and structures may block the signal. With DirecTV the satellites are located at 101, 110 and 119 degrees.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #10
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRnTX View Post
Once you pull the receptacle, if you could post pics of the front and back, we could take a look at it to see if it's wired correctly.

Question: Are you receiving any signal on the terrestrial antenna?
Old 02-07-2018, 10:43 AM   #11

I had the portable tripod Dish setup and it was a real pain to setup. Opted for a Tailgater from Dish and only have to worry about trees! We do a lot State Parks and trees block signal about 50% of the time. Best to find a spot with the lake/pond to the south. Good luck on the cable issue. Definitely need to turn off booster. I still forget every now and then after ten years!
CCSILVERBACKBJANDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #12

He said he gets some channels on the antenna. But no cable.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #13

If the transmitters are not very far away he could pick up some channels through just the coax cable within the rv.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:43 PM   #14

I do get stations on the antenna, when in an area with semi-decent reception.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:25 AM   #15

Just installed my Vizio telavis
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:30 AM   #16

Just installed my Vizio tv

had to select satellite on the source menu to get digital channels, 46 in all

option button at the wall set to off.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, lite, satellite