Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2017, 08:50 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 9
31KQBTS Black Tank Question

Hello all!

This is our first season with our new 31KQBTS camper. I have some questions regarding our black tank---I'll try to keep it as clean (ha) as possible!!

We've taken the camper out twice now and THOUGHT we'd emptied the black tank, but the indicator showed it never emptied. Knowing that it's easy for the sensors to give false readings, we weren't too worried about it....until this trip. You guessed it---we are full.

Then we moved to it must be clogged, and tried a few remedies that have worked in other trailers we've had.

Finally today, my husband crawled underneath and found a second lever to the tank line, pulled it, and---all is well.

Questions--does anyone know why there are two levers? We've never had that in any other camper we've had.

Also---now there is QUITE the odor. I'm assuming it's because all of a sudden things are moving, but it's pretty bad and it's been several hours without getting better. Now my hubs is wondering if that should be closed again for odor control. We do have the one closest to the hose connection closed as always, and the other one he'd have to crawl back under to close.

Any thoughts or suggestion would be great---you all are always very helpful!!
__________________

medicKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:30 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
mblee21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 137
So do you have two levers or 3 levers? Any chance you have two grey tanks? On my TT i have two grey tank levers and my blank tank lever is hidden up underneath.
__________________

mblee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:55 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 173
I have two valves for my black tank. One near the tank, and one near the hose connection. I would keep them both closed until dumping. Then open the one closest to the tank last. I think that would prevent solids from backing up into the pipe.
As far as odors, use a black tank odor control packet after each and every dumping. I do, and it works wonders. Just follow the instructions.
I also have two grey tanks, each with their own valves. Dump the grey tanks last. That will help to flush out the hose. I use odor control liquid in my grey tanks.
otrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:14 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mblee21 View Post
So do you have two levers or 3 levers? Any chance you have two grey tanks? On my TT i have two grey tank levers and my blank tank lever is hidden up underneath.


Hmmmm......we definitely have 2 grey tanks because of the outdoor kitchen too...he said these two were on the same pipe about 2 feet apart.
medicKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:17 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by otrtrucker View Post
I have two valves for my black tank. One near the tank, and one near the hose connection. I would keep them both closed until dumping. Then open the one closest to the tank last. I think that would prevent solids from backing up into the pipe.
As far as odors, use a black tank odor control packet after each and every dumping. I do, and it works wonders. Just follow the instructions.
I also have two grey tanks, each with their own valves. Dump the grey tanks last. That will help to flush out the hose. I use odor control liquid in my grey tanks.


Thanks for the advice! Is there a reason you know of that there are two on the black tank?
medicKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:29 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicKH View Post
Thanks for the advice! Is there a reason you know of that there are two on the black tank?
I could only speculate. But, the only reason I can think of is that the one nearest the tank prevents solids from gathering in the pipe between the tank and the hose connection. That would prevent a "stopped up" situation.
That is why I leave it closed until I'm actually dumping, and I open that one second.
otrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 40
Second Tank Lever

On my Coachmen Leprechaun 260DS (Class C), the cold weather package comes with double (upper and lower) tank levers (and tank heaters and double pane windows) to help prevent liquids from the tanks freezing in the pipe between the tank and the discharge fitting. I don't know if this is the reason why you have two, just saying.
__________________
2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 260DS w/Banner, Luxury, recliners, double door refrigerator, 15K BTU A/C with Heat Pump, Camping Cozy Package, Big Foot Jacks.

Toad - 2016 Ford Edge SEL AWD w/6 cyl
pkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:13 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkaplan View Post
On my Coachmen Leprechaun 260DS (Class C), the cold weather package comes with double (upper and lower) tank levers (and tank heaters and double pane windows) to help prevent liquids from the tanks freezing in the pipe between the tank and the discharge fitting. I don't know if this is the reason why you have two, just saying.
That makes sense too. I don't think I have a cold weather package though. The grey water valves are at the hose connection, far from the tanks.
otrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:58 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
CaptnJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 3,619
Sounds like a mislabeled galley tank/black tank situation.
__________________
2019 Montana 3761 FL
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 LB Dually
Edgewater 205 EX 150 Yamaha
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:11 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Sounds like a mislabeled galley tank/black tank situation.
Nope. The valves aren't labeled at all. The bottom of the tanks, as well as all of the drain piping is in plain view from underneath the unit.
As expensive as the MSRP is on my unit, it was built cheaply. Hanging wires, exposed wiring connections, no vent tubes on the fresh water tanks....
__________________

otrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
black, black tank, tank

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 AM.