Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2014, 02:14 PM   #1

356qbq black tank question

Has anyone else had trouble getting their black tank to completely empty? It gets full and we pull the handle to dump. But after about 10 min it's only gone down to 1/3 full. The manual for the RV said to not let it get completely empty but I wanted to get others opinions. Thanks. By the way the attached picture is the setup we have for the back black tank hose to have it level so it will all push forward to the front Y attachment and dump.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1408734752.502875.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	441.1 KB
ID:	61192

2015 Forest River Heritage Glen Lite 356qbq

"The Pod" aka Place of Duty

Christina LaPlaca

Visit my blog:https://www.rvlifemilitarystyle.blogspot.com

🌺 Christina LaPlaca 🌺
Angelbunnie13182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
Oklahoma Proud

U may have to use the black tank flush to clean it really well to were it will show E.
I drain mine completely and flush till as clear as possible. And check level. Sometimes it wont show e but most times it will. I then add some pinesol and water (probably3-4 gallons) and then a tablet at this point it usually shows 1/3 .
I never leave the tank dry (except winter) but I won't leave any black water in it from before. When I dump tanks, I flush tanks, period.

U may have a vent issue or valve issue if it takes that long to dump your tank though.

Good luck!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #3

That is quite the set up you have there for your sewer. How many feet of sewer pipe you have set up? Does it take a while to set up the system with the Y and everything?

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Oklahoma Proud

Here's the setup we are using now. Its on a somewhat seasonal site, and the joints aren't glued together, but no leaks. If we leave we will just pull to the side slightly and undo our flexible hose ends with bayonet ends
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1408808811660.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	61262   Click image for larger version

Name:	1408808825803.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	61263  
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
That is quite the set up you have there for your sewer. How many feet of sewer pipe you have set up? Does it take a while to set up the system with the Y and everything?
Actually it was pretty easy. We have the rhino flex hoses. The one that is at the first black tank is 10ft. The second that connects to the back black tank is 15ft. Outer neighbor helped us rig up this system but the hose is sagging in the middle. We just have rope on either end holding up the board. Today we are going to go get some cinder blocks to use to keep the plank the hose is on level. Took about 45 min to get it all sorted out and set up.

🌺 Christina LaPlaca 🌺
Old 08-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
U may have to use the black tank flush to clean it really well to were it will show E.
I drain mine completely and flush till as clear as possible. And check level. Sometimes it wont show e but most times it will. I then add some pinesol and water (probably3-4 gallons) and then a tablet at this point it usually shows 1/3 .
I never leave the tank dry (except winter) but I won't leave any black water in it from before. When I dump tanks, I flush tanks, period.

U may have a vent issue or valve issue if it takes that long to dump your tank though.

Good luck!!

Ok so sounds like I might not be putting enough of the water and sewage solution mix in to my tanks. I have only been putting 1gallon of solution that I have to mix with water into each of my black tanks after I flush them. Should I use more?

🌺 Christina LaPlaca 🌺
Old 08-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
Infractee

Yes, 1 gallon will just end up at the drain/gate valve. Will not be enough to work on the "material" inside the tank itself. I always start a trip with 5 gallons of water in black tank plus the enzyme additive.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #8

So we are parked in one spot, does that matter? So 5 gallons of the enzyme/water mixture after each time I dump my tank? Which is about 1x a week.

🌺 Christina LaPlaca 🌺
Old 08-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelbunnie13182 View Post
So we are parked in one spot, does that matter? So 5 gallons of the enzyme/water mixture after each time I dump my tank? Which is about 1x a week.
Correct, you need a good starter mix.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #10
Infractee

Yes even if you are seasonal you need lot of water or "materials" will not break down and will turn into concrete...
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:56 PM   #11

Have you not used the black tank flush? The work pretty well.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:51 AM   #12

your original question asked if you can completely empty the black tank. you cant!!! I have a 2014 heritage glen BH 3200, and it does not empty completely. if you shut off the fresh water and look down the toilet, there is 3/4 to 1" of liquid left behind. forest river did a horrible job with this set up. I used an inspection camera to look inside my tank, there is no taper to the floor. I back flush for 15 minutes, plus I fill the tank, through my toilet with a hose a few times. I fill the tank full and then pull the drain valve, this helps. when I'm done camping for the year, I trailer it home with the cap on the outlet pipe, and the black tank valve open. I then drain the clear liquid out of the pipe in a 5 gal bucket. be careful taking the cap off, go slow!!! good luck
jd350c is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank