Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2019, 01:27 PM   #1

A/C opinions...

I live full time in my TT and this will be my first year without pets (lost my elderly kitty 6 months back [emoji252]) Anyway, I have learned to turn off the water when I leave for work, but what do you guys do about the a/c in hot weather? I have reflectix in all windows, but parked right in the sun for most of the day. Is it ok to leave a/c off or does it need a max temp to be safe? I leave before dark and return early afternoon. I know it’ll get hot inside, but should I leave a window open a little or the air on? Once again, it’s my first year, so I’m still learning. Thanks for all the feedback. This forum is very useful!
xr751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:05 PM   #2

We spend 14 weeks in a row in the summer in our park model. It has the optional 15k ducted A/C. We leave it off. We open a small window in the kitchen while away which is under the awning. It cools down rather quickly with the A/C on high. If you have a Max Air vent (optional) you could open them also while away.

However, the main reason we leave it off is, we don't trust the A/C unit. Dometic has had a rash of bad units that are not serviceable when they fail. We are on our 3rd unit. It is designed to cycle on and off too much for my liking. We even go so far as to set the thermostat at least 10 degrees below the current temp in the trailer so it does not cycle between high and low which happens when the temperature inside is within 4 degrees of the set temp. We shut it down after it drops 6 degrees, which is where we wanted it to stop for our comfort.

P.S. Electric is included in our seasonal site and we still turn it off when leaving for work.

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 Max Tow
alb2tpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alb2tpa View Post
We spend 14 weeks in a row in the summer in our park model. It has the optional 15k ducted A/C. We leave it off. We open a small window in the kitchen while away which is under the awning. It cools down rather quickly with the A/C on high. If you have a Max Air vent (optional) you could open them also while away.

However, the main reason we leave it off is, we don't trust the A/C unit. Dometic has had a rash of bad units that are not serviceable when they fail. We are on our 3rd unit. It is designed to cycle on and off too much for my liking. We even go so far as to set the thermostat at least 10 degrees below the current temp in the trailer so it does not cycle between high and low which happens when the temperature inside is within 4 degrees of the set temp. We shut it down after it drops 6 degrees, which is where we wanted it to stop for our comfort.

P.S. Electric is included in our seasonal site and we still turn it off when leaving for work.

Thanks so much. That’s exactly what I was thinking. It really does cycle on and off too much, so unless I have company or get too hot, I don’t run it much. I appreciate it!
xr751 is offline   Reply With Quote