Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #1

AC not blowing hard out of all vents

I have a 2015 Wildwood 241QBXL. The AC blows ice cold but it only blows hard out of the vent facing the rear of the trailer which is the bathroom area. The 2 vents on the side blow some and the vent facing towards the bed area doesn't even seem to be a vent at all as it is on the side where the filter is and has zero air coming from it. It also has 2 vents that blow straight down towards the floor and they don't even have much air coming from them. Am i missing something here?!

Thanks!
GeramieI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:09 PM   #2
Site Team

That's not uncommon. There are several threads here about people having the same problem, myself included.

1. Start by removing the return (ceiling) grill and looking at the partition between the supply and return to make sure that it's sealed.

2. While you have the grill off, look at where the ducts connect to the plenum A/C discharge and make sure that sealed up but open to the ducting.

3. Take your phone or other camera that will take a picture looking into the ducts, and take a picture or two down the ducts and see if they're crushed or blocked by something.

4. Remove some of the registers and check them to see that they're sealed to the ducts and take some pictures looking both ways down the ducts. On the end register, take a picture toward the terminal end of the duct to make sure that it's sealed and not leaking air out into the ceiling.

Once you've done these things and rectified anything that needs it, you can order some adjustable registers for the places that you need to direct or reduce the flow out the register.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:33 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. My unit doesn’t have ceiling vents, only vents on the actual ac unit itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67A786FC-071E-42D9-9A47-664D703E2652.jpg
Views:	1637
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	174515  
Old 06-03-2018, 06:42 PM   #4

Slide the little white tab between the two round knobs.
This will transfer the air to the upper vents
Old 06-03-2018, 06:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Slide the little white tab between the two round knobs.
This will transfer the air to the upper vents
I’ve done that and it still doesn’t blow out of the vent that is towards the front(bedroom area).
Old 06-03-2018, 07:18 PM   #6

I spent a good hour picking chunks of foam out of my A/C ducts after the first use. Most were small but they'd get caught on the deflectors at the outlet and in turn catch the rest coming down the line.

Another idea that doesn't work as well in practice as it does on paper (forming the ducts into the insulation foam). I wonder how much cool air is being wasted just refrigerating the roof?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:48 PM   #7

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rk-155396.html
Old 06-03-2018, 07:58 PM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

Not knowing much about HVAC but is the clear deflector on backwards? Isn't the return the area it is blasting that fine cold air right back towards?

Our Greywolf had some pretty crappy flow one direction on the non-ducted system.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Not knowing much about HVAC but is the clear deflector on backwards? Isn't the return the area it is blasting that fine cold air right back towards?

Our Greywolf had some pretty crappy flow one direction on the non-ducted system.
I put that deflector on myself to try and deflect the air coming from the vents that are blowing toward the floor to the front/bed area. However, they don’t blow hard enough and it didn’t make a difference. But yes, it is directing air past the return/filter
Old 06-03-2018, 09:19 PM   #10

Our second unit does the same thing. I close or almost close the rear tab to even discharge.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:09 PM   #11

Although ours is a 2016 Wildwood 230BHXL and we do have ducts, when we took ours in for our 10 month inspection, the dealer took off the A/C cover as soon as he entered and took out a piece of cardboard. He knew what he was looking for and I figured he had seen this before. I noticed on my billing showing warranty work he put repaired A/C. I asked what he had done he said a cardboard piece had not been removed and was blocking a duct. You might check for something like that.
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebourn View Post
Although ours is a 2016 Wildwood 230BHXL and we do have ducts, when we took ours in for our 10 month inspection, the dealer took off the A/C cover as soon as he entered and took out a piece of cardboard. He knew what he was looking for and I figured he had seen this before. I noticed on my billing showing warranty work he put repaired A/C. I asked what he had done he said a cardboard piece had not been removed and was blocking a duct. You might check for something like that.
Now that sounds like something it could be! I had planed on taking the cover off to check for obstructions. This trailer was only used 4 times when i got it so we are still working out the new kinks in it.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeramieI View Post
Now that sounds like something it could be! I had planed on taking the cover off to check for obstructions. This trailer was only used 4 times when i got it so we are still working out the new kinks in it.
Hope it is something that simple for you. My thinking at the time was it was something that was shipped that way and the dealer may have overlooked it in preparing it. Might not have realized it was something to be done until some other units were brought back in with a problem. If you do figure the problem out, please post your findings.
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:36 PM   #14

I have to agree with Doc73 that you are sending cold air right back to the return duct. I would think that since you are cooling cold air it would get real cold. That doesn't solve your distribution problem but I don't think your deflector pointing in that direction is helping you.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
I have to agree with Doc73 that you are sending cold air right back to the return duct. I would think that since you are cooling cold air it would get real cold. That doesn't solve your distribution problem but I don't think your deflector pointing in that direction is helping you.
It’s not helping, I just haven’t taken it off yet. I just tried it to see if I could deflect some cold air back towards the bed area. My wife gets real cranky if she gets hot
Old 06-05-2018, 05:33 PM   #16

Angry

We have the exact same A/C and the same issue. I have taken the top cover off and there is no obstruction inside. The problem seems to be that the front vent only gets air that wraps around the inside edges of the unit and the only cure we have found is to close all other vent including the bottom slide.
Willbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willbur View Post
We have the exact same A/C and the same issue. I have taken the top cover off and there is no obstruction inside. The problem seems to be that the front vent only gets air that wraps around the inside edges of the unit and the only cure we have found is to close all other vent including the bottom slide.
Yep. I just got done inspecting it and noticed that the front vent only receives little air from small openings around the inside edge. Makes no sense that the front vent is the one that recieves the less air, it’s a piss poor design.

Tags
vent