Old 06-26-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
Added an Outdoor Shower to my 261BHXL

Hi all, I took pictures while I was adding an outdoor shower to my 2012 Wildwood. If anyone else gets the Idea, I hope this post might help.

First part was to decide where to put it, I chose this spot because it's right next to the hot water heater under the full size bed below the bunk, there wouldn't need to be as much water line ran.

Here's what it looks like under the bed when you pull up the plywood planks top picture is where I put the shower, I moved the water heater control out of the way that grey box. Measured down about 2 inches from the bottom of the bed support, and drilled a hole through the wall to the outside of the travel trailer. The bottom picture shows where I connected the Tee's at just out of the way of the fresh water tank

This is where it gets interesting and I cut the hole in the trailer. I also made a stencil of the outdoor shower with a piece of cardboard so I wouldn't cut any more than I needed off, there's not a lot of room from the cut to the screw holes, not much forgiveness for mistakes.

I cut the corners out with a utility knife, I did try to use a reciprocating saw with a sheet metal blade, but theres to much power with the saw, and I didn't want to tear up the outside of the sheet metal, so I used a hacksaw to cut through the metal, it took longer but didn't cause any damage! I also filled in the void where I removed the insulation with expandable foam, and let it dry for about an hour before I messed with it any more.

I started cutting the water lines, had a towel handy to clean up any messes added the two Sharkbite Tee Connectors. I did use the same color 1/2 pex pipe, was cheaper to buy one ten foot piece than 2 5 foot pieces of a different color.

Here is the shower placed in the cut out filled with foam on the outside. Also filled in any more gaps with the expandable foam.

The two elbows, just out of the way of the fresh water tank

then the two straight lines hooked up to the shower itself, it's a plastic end fitting I did use teflon around the threads, I don't think you have to but I didn't want to chance it!

Here's the outside of the shower, comes with a lock and key to hold it in

Then finally here it is working

Some Trailers come with an outdoor shower, I figure it will be a great place to rinse off at if at the beach or some other park, without letting kids and adults track a lot of sand/dirt into the RV to the inside shower.

When I attached the shower to the outside i ran a bead of silicone caulking around the outside and onto the shower itself then attached to the trailer with 1 and 1/4 inch sheet metal screws, used a screwdriver instead of the drill and put it hand tight, didn't want to strip a bunch of holes using a power drill.
After it was connected I put another bead of silicone around the enclosure to make sure water doesn't get behind it, just another barrier of protection.

I purchased the shower from Amazon a DF-SA170-WT for $46.95

Sharkbite connectors
2-1/2 inch push tee's for $23.58
2-1/2 inch push elbows for $16.98
2-1/2 inch FIP push adapters for $17.58
1 plastic tubing cutter for the pex pipe $19.99
1 10 foot piece of 1/2 pex tubing for $4.50
and 1 tube of clear silicone caulking for $4.70

so for a total of $135 added an outdoor shower to the Travel Trailer!

Already had the expandable foam, and the teflon tape.

I chose the sharkbite Connectors because you don't have to have the PEX crimping tool which runs about $50. You only need the cutter, I'm sure you could saw it, but to make sure you've got clean cuts, the cutter was recommended.

hannibaljv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
Mod free 5er
Nice, professional install. Being just the wife and me, I removed the faucet and capped the lines on ours and use the compartment for the satellite cable.

OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Looks good!
Looking to do something similar on the Sabre but just adding a cubby compartment to access wasted space on the inside.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
Site Team
Looks good, I'll have to show this to the BIL who wants to do similar on his wildwood.

One question though, did you put in any shutoff valves? I couldn't tell from the photos but it doesn't look like it.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
There's no use crying over spilled milk, unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
Mod free 5er
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Looks good!
Looking to do something similar on the Sabre but just adding a cubby compartment to access wasted space on the inside.
I hope Ms. Amy isn't holding her breath on this one.
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
No, I didn't add any cut off valves I left it on all night with pressure to see if there were any leaks, the shower seems to be sufficient to keep it turned off. 2 cut off's could be added anywhere after the Tee's. It's higher than the low point drain, so most of the water comes out of the lines when I open them up. It also should be safe to winterizer with the rest of the trailer too.
hannibaljv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:11 AM   #7
I had mine installed by the dealer before I took delivery, but you did a great job on this. Have you found any alternative to the kinking hose? Mine always seems to kink and it's a huge pain. I'm trying to find out either how to get a shorter hose or get one of those flat ones that don't kink.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
2011 Forest River Wildwood 26BHXL
2011 Chevy Tahoe (w/ Tow Package)
Broker777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:14 AM   #8
Did the same thing as soon as soon as i got my trailer and some other mods....take a look at this thread
Simple mods that made my life MUCH EASIER (1 year old trailer RKS)
Also you should have used exterior window caulking and not silicone between the trailer and the shower. Silicone will deteriorate in few years.
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
Great project!! Was just thinking of this idea this week, but wasn't thinking of hot/cold outlets.

Do you need the right kind of expanding foam, as some cause issues with certain types of plastic?

Current location: Buffalo River State Park in MN
2012 Wildwood 28DBUD
2015 Chevy 2500HD Duramax CC LTZ
onthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:20 AM   #10
I was going to do this once my warranty expires. Here is a link to a video that also shows how to do this.

DIY Outdoor Shower Install

whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote

door, show, shower