Old 10-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #1

Another Tire Question

We recently purchased a new Wildwood 262BHXL that came with Ridgeway Sport ST tires on it. The size is ST205/75D14. The specs state that it is a load rance C annd a max load of 1760. Has anyone had any issues with this tire? I cant find any real life info on this tire. We have been reading on here about tire horror stories and we are thinking about just replacing these tires before something happens. We have not had a chance to take out TT out yet so not sure how they ride. To be honest we are kinda worried about taking it out on a long trip just because we do not know anything about these tires. If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated or if you recommend a good tire for this trailer i am open for suggestions, thanks!

Old 10-18-2015, 06:23 PM   #2

Still running the stock Akuret tires on the lite.

After reading some post here I half way expected then to blowup sitting outside.

They now have about 8000 miles on them with no issues.

I let Discount tires balance then and install steel valve stems early this year.

All I have done is keep them aired up.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:28 PM   #3

I have the same trailer and will have to look at what tire we are currently running. I know we put about 2000 miles on the trailer this year at least with out issue. Just curious do you find that trailer to sit really low? I am considering an axle flip since my sewer pipe has been damaged already once for a $400 bill.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:51 PM   #4

A highly rated and popular tire is the Maxxis. I read and worried about my Karrier tires during the first year of ownership. I still have those tires which I check, and keep the proper air pressure (going on our sixth year). No issues at all !

The tires still look good. However, due to age I will be replacing them this spring with the Maxxis brand or Goodyear Marathons.

Know your weights and do not overload your tires.

Good luck........Happy camping!
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:11 PM   #5

I have same tire on our new 2016 Wildwood 230BH X-Lite. Like you, I've searched everywhere and can't find a single review of this tire. Everywhere I find it for sale, it says "be the first to review". I did find that it is distributed by a company called Lionshead Specialty Tires in Goshen. Also appears that a couple of years ago they distributed another tire called the Vail Sport which had a recall on it due to problems. No information on how long the Ridgeway Sport has been on the market that I see.

We got our TT the first of Oct. And only got to take it out twice on short trips before getting it in to winterize. Haven't had any problems but noticed the tires lose about 4lbs over a two week period.

I'm going to just keep an eye on mine over the winter and start saving for other tires when needed or in late Spring or Summer. I see on the sidewall of mine that even though we just got this TT, the date code is 1914 (or the 19th week of 2014 when they were made) so they are almost 2 years old. And the consensus seems to be the tires should be replaced every 3 to 5 years.

Everyone has opinions on which tires are best but where one person has had great results, for another, they have been a nightmare so who knows.

If you find out anything helpful, I'd be interested too.
2016 Days Camping : 32
2017 Days Camping : 11
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:44 PM   #6

I recently just took my longest trip to date with my TT. The trailer pulled good and had no issues. The whole trip i had thoughts of all the people having issues with tires. I kept it at or under 65mph the whole trip. Every time i stopped i would do a walk around. Sebourn I have also noticed that they do not hold air. I brought them up to 50psi a week before my trip and the day we left i checked the pressure and on average they all had dropped about 8psi. I think this spring i am going to either get a set of Maxxis or Kumhos. Still may have issues but it may give me a little more piece of mind.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:44 PM   #7

Max is seems to have a good following. This subject will give us something to think about all winter I guess.
We picked up our TT from getting winterized and having a few issues straightened out by the dealer today. Drive home was only about 30 miles and no problems at all. I did have the dealer check tire pressure before we hooked up. They were about 5 lbs low. We had left it with them three weeks ago.

Before putting the new covers on them when we got home, I looked them over and they look real good. I'll check pressure over Winter every two weeks and see how they look next Spring.
Good luck with yours.
2016 Days Camping : 32
2017 Days Camping : 11
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:05 AM   #8
Learning a lot as I go...

By the numbers:

GVWR 7650 and hitch weight 650 as per FR website. That puts 7000 lbs on your TT tires, or 1750 lbs each. The load C tires are typically rated for 1760 each which sounds good.

However if you put any tire into a tandem axle arrangement you should derate about 15% to allow for uneven weight loading on the tires. Thus giving you 1496 lbs per tire. Ooops.

Your empty weight is around 5801 lbs so ~5150 lbs on the tires or ~1287 per tire.

Maintained at proper max pressure of 50 PSI you are ok for an empty trailer by the numbers. But fully loaded does not look so good. An unfortunately common story as I find my TT falls into this category of weight vs tire too. I am considering jumping up to Load Range D. Or maybe for even more $$$ jumping up to 15" wheels/tires.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejahr View Post
By the numbers:

GVWR 7650 and hitch weight 650 as per FR website. That puts 7000 lbs on your TT tires, or 1750 lbs each. The load C tires are typically rated for 1760 each which sounds good.

However if you put any tire into a tandem axle arrangement you should derate about 15% to allow for uneven weight loading on the tires. Thus giving you 1496 lbs per tire. Ooops.

Your empty weight is around 5801 lbs so ~5150 lbs on the tires or ~1287 per tire.

Maintained at proper max pressure of 50 PSI you are ok for an empty trailer by the numbers. But fully loaded does not look so good. An unfortunately common story as I find my TT falls into this category of weight vs tire too. I am considering jumping up to Load Range D. Or maybe for even more $$$ jumping up to 15" wheels/tires.
Don't forget part of the load is also on the tongue or pin depending on the trailer.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:34 AM   #10
Learning a lot as I go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Don't forget part of the load is also on the tongue or pin depending on the trailer.

Covered that in the first and second lines of my response

Tags
tire