Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #1

Another Tire Question

We recently purchased a new Wildwood 262BHXL that came with Ridgeway Sport ST tires on it. The size is ST205/75D14. The specs state that it is a load rance C annd a max load of 1760. Has anyone had any issues with this tire? I cant find any real life info on this tire. We have been reading on here about tire horror stories and we are thinking about just replacing these tires before something happens. We have not had a chance to take out TT out yet so not sure how they ride. To be honest we are kinda worried about taking it out on a long trip just because we do not know anything about these tires. If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated or if you recommend a good tire for this trailer i am open for suggestions, thanks!
ww610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:23 PM   #2

Still running the stock Akuret tires on the lite.

After reading some post here I half way expected then to blowup sitting outside.

They now have about 8000 miles on them with no issues.

I let Discount tires balance then and install steel valve stems early this year.

All I have done is keep them aired up.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:28 PM   #3

I have the same trailer and will have to look at what tire we are currently running. I know we put about 2000 miles on the trailer this year at least with out issue. Just curious do you find that trailer to sit really low? I am considering an axle flip since my sewer pipe has been damaged already once for a $400 bill.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:51 PM   #4

A highly rated and popular tire is the Maxxis. I read and worried about my Karrier tires during the first year of ownership. I still have those tires which I check, and keep the proper air pressure (going on our sixth year). No issues at all !

The tires still look good. However, due to age I will be replacing them this spring with the Maxxis brand or Goodyear Marathons.

Know your weights and do not overload your tires.

Good luck........Happy camping!
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:11 PM   #5

I have same tire on our new 2016 Wildwood 230BH X-Lite. Like you, I've searched everywhere and can't find a single review of this tire. Everywhere I find it for sale, it says "be the first to review". I did find that it is distributed by a company called Lionshead Specialty Tires in Goshen. Also appears that a couple of years ago they distributed another tire called the Vail Sport which had a recall on it due to problems. No information on how long the Ridgeway Sport has been on the market that I see.

We got our TT the first of Oct. And only got to take it out twice on short trips before getting it in to winterize. Haven't had any problems but noticed the tires lose about 4lbs over a two week period.

I'm going to just keep an eye on mine over the winter and start saving for other tires when needed or in late Spring or Summer. I see on the sidewall of mine that even though we just got this TT, the date code is 1914 (or the 19th week of 2014 when they were made) so they are almost 2 years old. And the consensus seems to be the tires should be replaced every 3 to 5 years.

Everyone has opinions on which tires are best but where one person has had great results, for another, they have been a nightmare so who knows.

If you find out anything helpful, I'd be interested too.
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:44 PM   #6

I recently just took my longest trip to date with my TT. The trailer pulled good and had no issues. The whole trip i had thoughts of all the people having issues with tires. I kept it at or under 65mph the whole trip. Every time i stopped i would do a walk around. Sebourn I have also noticed that they do not hold air. I brought them up to 50psi a week before my trip and the day we left i checked the pressure and on average they all had dropped about 8psi. I think this spring i am going to either get a set of Maxxis or Kumhos. Still may have issues but it may give me a little more piece of mind.
ww610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:44 PM   #7

Max is seems to have a good following. This subject will give us something to think about all winter I guess.
We picked up our TT from getting winterized and having a few issues straightened out by the dealer today. Drive home was only about 30 miles and no problems at all. I did have the dealer check tire pressure before we hooked up. They were about 5 lbs low. We had left it with them three weeks ago.

Before putting the new covers on them when we got home, I looked them over and they look real good. I'll check pressure over Winter every two weeks and see how they look next Spring.
Good luck with yours.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:05 AM   #8
Learning a lot as I go...

By the numbers:

GVWR 7650 and hitch weight 650 as per FR website. That puts 7000 lbs on your TT tires, or 1750 lbs each. The load C tires are typically rated for 1760 each which sounds good.

However if you put any tire into a tandem axle arrangement you should derate about 15% to allow for uneven weight loading on the tires. Thus giving you 1496 lbs per tire. Ooops.

Your empty weight is around 5801 lbs so ~5150 lbs on the tires or ~1287 per tire.

Maintained at proper max pressure of 50 PSI you are ok for an empty trailer by the numbers. But fully loaded does not look so good. An unfortunately common story as I find my TT falls into this category of weight vs tire too. I am considering jumping up to Load Range D. Or maybe for even more $$$ jumping up to 15" wheels/tires.
stevejahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejahr View Post
By the numbers:

GVWR 7650 and hitch weight 650 as per FR website. That puts 7000 lbs on your TT tires, or 1750 lbs each. The load C tires are typically rated for 1760 each which sounds good.

However if you put any tire into a tandem axle arrangement you should derate about 15% to allow for uneven weight loading on the tires. Thus giving you 1496 lbs per tire. Ooops.

Your empty weight is around 5801 lbs so ~5150 lbs on the tires or ~1287 per tire.

Maintained at proper max pressure of 50 PSI you are ok for an empty trailer by the numbers. But fully loaded does not look so good. An unfortunately common story as I find my TT falls into this category of weight vs tire too. I am considering jumping up to Load Range D. Or maybe for even more $$$ jumping up to 15" wheels/tires.
Don't forget part of the load is also on the tongue or pin depending on the trailer.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:34 AM   #10
Learning a lot as I go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Don't forget part of the load is also on the tongue or pin depending on the trailer.

Covered that in the first and second lines of my response
stevejahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #11

Ridgeway tires are junk

I have a 2016 Forestriver Salem 27 RKSS with 3000 miles on it. I maintain my tires very well. On our trip last week, when we arrived at the campsite, I noticed two of my tires had strange "bubbles" on the sidewalls? I had to have those two tires replaced in order to get home.
I bought Kenda K550's which I am more familiar with and will be replacing the other 3 this week.
BOTTOM LINE 2 TIRE FAILURES ON A 1YR OLD TRAILER, TELLS ME THE TIRES ARE JUNK!!!!!!!
LILDUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww610 View Post
We recently purchased a new Wildwood 262BHXL that came with Ridgeway Sport ST tires on it. The size is ST205/75D14. The specs state that it is a load rance C annd a max load of 1760. Has anyone had any issues with this tire? I cant find any real life info on this tire. We have been reading on here about tire horror stories and we are thinking about just replacing these tires before something happens. We have not had a chance to take out TT out yet so not sure how they ride. To be honest we are kinda worried about taking it out on a long trip just because we do not know anything about these tires. If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated or if you recommend a good tire for this trailer i am open for suggestions, thanks!
As you have described it the letter "D" in the size means the tire is a bias-ply tire. They have durable sidewalls and track well but are not a tire of choice if you're going to do a lot of traveling.

Your current tires do not provide hardly any reserve load capacity if you're traveling heavy - close to fully loaded. Your best upgrade without having to worry about replacing your rims would be the ST215/75R14C. They are about 1/2" taller and wider. They will provide a much needed 110# of extra load capacity per tire.

I would go with the easiest brand to find in your traveling area.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:58 PM   #13

Update after almost one year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww610 View Post
It has now almost been a year with our ST205/75D14 tires and still no failures. Our only problem has been picking up a roofing nail early this summer. I didn't discover it until reaching a campsite. Called Coach-Net who sent someone out to put on our spare. Very pleased all around with the way that worked out. The problem I had with losing pressure seemed to go away somehow but not sure why.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:58 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebourn View Post
It has now almost been a year with our ST205/75D14 tires and still no failures. Our only problem has been picking up a roofing nail early this summer. I didn't discover it until reaching a campsite. Called Coach-Net who sent someone out to put on our spare. Very pleased all around with the way that worked out. The problem I had with losing pressure seemed to go away somehow but not sure why.

So if you drove on the tire with the nail did you scrap it? If you don't know hoe many miles at what load or speed you traveled you probably did structural damage. This is a good example of why a TPMS is a good investment as if you had been warned when the tire started loosing air you might have saved the cost of the tire.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:00 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILDUNK View Post
I have a 2016 Forestriver Salem 27 RKSS with 3000 miles on it. I maintain my tires very well. On our trip last week, when we arrived at the campsite, I noticed two of my tires had strange "bubbles" on the sidewalls? I had to have those two tires replaced in order to get home.
I bought Kenda K550's which I am more familiar with and will be replacing the other 3 this week.
BOTTOM LINE 2 TIRE FAILURES ON A 1YR OLD TRAILER, TELLS ME THE TIRES ARE JUNK!!!!!!!

Bubbles on sidewall could be indication of incipient sidewall flex failure due to running low inflation. TPMS might have given you warning.

Junk or the best... Every tire can fail if you run it low on air.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 08-23-2016, 09:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
So if you drove on the tire with the nail did you scrap it? If you don't know hoe many miles at what load or speed you traveled you probably did structural damage. This is a good example of why a TPMS is a good investment as if you had been warned when the tire started loosing air you might have saved the cost of the tire.
Thanks tireman. Our campsite was about 10 miles from home. I checked all the tires before going, didn't see any nail and all pressures were at 50psi. Upon reaching the campsite on Sunday, I noticed the nail as I was putting on the tire covers. The picture was taken when first noticed and was at the 11:00 o'clock position. (It appears to have rotated 90 degrees when I uploaded it). I checked pressure and the tire with the nail in it was still at 50psi. I checked again the next morning and it was at 49psi. The guy came Monday afternoon and put the spare on. When we got back home on Friday, I took the tire to a reputable repair shop. They weren't sure it could be patched because of the location. When I went back to pick it up, they said it did patch ok but only keep it as a spare. What do you think? Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2005.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	118265  
Old 08-24-2016, 09:19 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebourn View Post
Thanks tireman. Our campsite was about 10 miles from home. I checked all the tires before going, didn't see any nail and all pressures were at 50psi. Upon reaching the campsite on Sunday, I noticed the nail as I was putting on the tire covers. The picture was taken when first noticed and was at the 11:00 o'clock position. (It appears to have rotated 90 degrees when I uploaded it). I checked pressure and the tire with the nail in it was still at 50psi. I checked again the next morning and it was at 49psi. The guy came Monday afternoon and put the spare on. When we got back home on Friday, I took the tire to a reputable repair shop. They weren't sure it could be patched because of the location. When I went back to pick it up, they said it did patch ok but only keep it as a spare. What do you think? Thanks again.

You were lucky. If the tire didn't loose air then no damage from running low was done. The puncture is in a "no repair" location as the damage to the body could grow with use. Keeping as spare is OK. I would suggest you paint "SPARE ONLY" on both sides just to be sure someone (future owner) doesn't put on for regular service.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
You were lucky. If the tire didn't loose air then no damage from running low was done. The puncture is in a "no repair" location as the damage to the body could grow with use. Keeping as spare is OK. I would suggest you paint "SPARE ONLY" on both sides just to be sure someone (future owner) doesn't put on for regular service.
Thanks tireman9, great idea for identifying.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:52 PM   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to contourcrazy
I have a 2016 Wildwood X-Lite 261BHXL. I bought this TT in October 2015. This TT came with the ST205/75/R14 RidgeWay Pro tires mentioned in this post. We live in Louisville, KY and since we bought it the TT has been in 6 states. This past weekend as we pulled into our campsite at General Butler State Park Resort I notcied that a pretty nice portion of tread was missing out of the tread of the rear passenger tire. I changed it with the spare and have replaced all 4 of my running gear tires. I do not have the info on the tires since I haven't picked it up from the shop. When I get it back I will post later. What is weird is it seems like the center three rows of tread were higher elevated than the outer rows of tread on all four tires. Any thoughts?
Old 09-08-2016, 09:36 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by contourcrazy View Post
I have a 2016 Wildwood X-Lite 261BHXL. I bought this TT in October 2015. This TT came with the ST205/75/R14 RidgeWay Pro tires mentioned in this post. We live in Louisville, KY and since we bought it the TT has been in 6 states. This past weekend as we pulled into our campsite at General Butler State Park Resort I notcied that a pretty nice portion of tread was missing out of the tread of the rear passenger tire. I changed it with the spare and have replaced all 4 of my running gear tires. I do not have the info on the tires since I haven't picked it up from the shop. When I get it back I will post later. What is weird is it seems like the center three rows of tread were higher elevated than the outer rows of tread on all four tires. Any thoughts?

I have see a number of tires with very round tread (much rounder than a new tire) IMO these tires may have internal separation between tread and belts. Tire should be dismounted and completely inspected by dealer.
What is your measured load on your tires? What is the Load Range of your tires? Do the tires have at least 15% more load capacity that you are loading to? How old are the tires?

Tags
tire