Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2016, 07:33 PM   #1

Any 201BHXL or 261BH XL owners out there?

Well the time has come. We now own a Rockwood pop up for 3 years now, and have had the roof replaced 2 times already, and it is having the same issue again with small cracks in the coating on the top, the dealer said it comes from me cover the camper.??? Well anyway we want to trade up. We looked at two campers today the 201 and the 261 bh xl. If you own ether I would like to hear what you think. We campe less 50 miles from home I would love to do a road trip soon, we will be towing with a 1999 expadition with a 4.6 towing package. Thanks!!
phillip252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:52 PM   #2

I have a 2016 261bhxl. We love it. Tows real nice. We have had it for about two months and only had some minor things that need to be fixed.
Jnewvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:14 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to contourcrazy

We have a 2016 261BHXL. We shopped around for sometime and this was the most camper we could get within our budget that tour criteria. We have enjoyed it. We have been in 6 states within the first year of ownership. It has had some minor warranty repairs needed. I tow ours with a 2012 F150 XL 5.0. My truck doesn't struggle at all. That Triton should be fine.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:44 PM   #4

I forgot to add I tow mine with a 2016 Silverado 5.3 and it has no problems. Contourcrazy have you done any mods to tours?
Old 08-29-2016, 03:20 PM   #5

I am assuming you mean camper? When we bought it we Bought a Husky Centerline hitch (love it). we had the dealer install a spare tire carrier on it. Ours came with the outdoor kitchen and the bumper swing out grill. I have the parts to wire in a battery disconnect switch. I have made my own chocks. I change the shower head to the Oxygenics one. I mounted a TV in the kitchen (ours did not come with one). I have been slowly changing over to LEDs. I plan to mount a Tv in the bedroom area but there is no indication that Forrest River had put any backing anywhere for it even though there is a cable plug right there. I have the parts to do the pump bypass for winterizing. Will install that this year when winterizing. Bought strip LEDs to put into the outdoor kitchen. Put all the bug guards on all the spots. Wanting to make a fold up counter extender next to sink and a bed rail on the top bunk for my little one.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:34 PM   #6

Nice mine came with all LEDs and the same outdoor kitchen I also just installed the Oxygenics shower head. I mounted the TV in the kitchen also and ours has a sticker in the bedroom that says mount TV here is is on the wall between the couch and bedroom about 5ft up from the floor. Still need to do the pump bypass and battery switch.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:05 PM   #7

Could you possibly post pics of the location worth that sticker on it?
Old 08-29-2016, 05:46 PM   #8

Ya I can tomorrow for you as I am working today.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:23 PM   #9

We got 261BH, w/o the outside kichetn
Old 08-29-2016, 08:24 PM   #10

Thx
Old 08-29-2016, 08:25 PM   #11

We are going with 261BH xl . Picking it up Wednesday, headed out Friday.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:04 PM   #12

Awesome let us know how you like it.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:44 PM   #13

Bought mine (261) in April. Promptly took it on a 4750-mile round trip to the Southwest in June. Love it. Only had minor issues that you could expect with any TT and that I could easily fix. Except for the roof problem which was remedied under warranty by the dealer in July. Didn't want to be camping then anyway--too hot and muggy. I tow mine with a 2016 Ram 1500 5.7l Hemi 4x4. "Don't even know it's back there."

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2016, 10:12 PM   #14

We have a 2017 Salem Cruise Lite 201BHXL.
We love it. I added a battery disconnect switch. No issues yet, and tows like a dream.
We chose this model because of the Murphy bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:46 PM   #15

Just bought a 261xl from Holman in Batavia, OH. First time owner. It took five hours for the walkthrough and fixes. The remote was not working the front jacks and they literally had to rewire some of the electronics to fix it. Another light in the back was not working because it was not wired correctly either. Perhaps the forest river electrician had a bad day? After I got home I lifted up the bunk mattress (trying to find the water heater) to notice the two pieces of plywood weren't level with each other because a vertical trim piece was cut crooked and pushed up one of the flat plywood pieces a 1/2 inch or so... so I took it out and cut it into a straight line... problem fixed. The first time I noticed the floor material was when I was vacuuming and notice the floor was more like a thin paper/plastic material. I like the looks, hope it is durable enough.

I have a couple questions if any other owners are able to answer:
Did your trailer come with any documentation on the radio/CD player? Can the speakers be hooked into a TV when installed? Does your remote work well? You have to be within arms reach of my radio for my remote to work which is pointless for having a remote. I didn't get documentation of any kind so I'm wondering how some of the features like BT work.
Has anyone hooked up a 2" hitch to the bumper for a bike rack. I was told it had a 300lbs limit but a sticker on the bumper says not to attach anything to it.

I'm hauling with a Toyota Sequoia with a 6500lb max tow limit. I was nervous about that but with the new husky round bar sway control it tows nicely... by that I mean I don't have to put both hands on the wheel when a semi passes me, it handles nicely. But I can feel it back there. Looking forward to our first trip in September at Deer Creek. Can't wait for campfire weather!
gclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:59 PM   #16

We bought our 2016 wildwood 261bhxl from Holman. what year is yours? Yiou need to be carefull how much weight you put on those back bumpers. I have read horror stories of bikes being ruined. what brand radio do you have. I may be able to get you a PDF of the one I have. The speakers will only work when you are playing a movie with the radio/DVD Player.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:10 PM   #17

Thanks for the info. It's 2017. They apparently bought like 150 of them and are selling pretty competively for about what comparable used ones on Craigslist were asking, so it was a no brainer for us.
gclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:26 PM   #18

Contourcrazy I went to take a picture for your and my sticker was gone. I think the wife didn't like looking at it. But it it was on the stub wall that the kitchen cabinets are attached to.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:33 PM   #19

Ours was the last 2016 of that model that they had w/ the outdoor kitchen. To get the best deals you have to go the Lrgest RV dealer you can find because they buy such numbers to give you the best pricing.
contourcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclark View Post
Did your trailer come with any documentation on the radio/CD player?
No.

Quote:
Can the speakers be hooked into a TV when installed?
There are component jacks on the wall by the tv mount. Obviously the yellow is for video out. I believe the red/white are for stereo-in which will play through the ceiling speakers if you select aux on the stereo. Test it with your ipod/phone and appropriate cable.

Quote:
Does your remote work well? You have to be within arms reach of my radio for my remote to work which is pointless for having a remote.
Try replacing the batteries in your remote.

Quote:
Has anyone hooked up a 2" hitch to the bumper for a bike rack. I was told it had a 300lbs limit but a sticker on the bumper says not to attach anything to it.
I wouldn't based on the sticker. Plus, Everyone says don't do it.

Quote:
I'm hauling with a Toyota Sequoia with a 6500lb max tow limit.
Your bumping up against your limit there. Mine weighs 6500lbs loaded. I would be very concerned that you aren't surpassing your payload on that Toyota, too. The payload on my Ram is around 1600lbs, and by my calculations, I'm right at it or slightly over. Have you checked into that?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk