Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2017, 10:10 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeguy1 View Post
Thanks for the input guys and gals. I went ahead and pulled the trigger and bought it yesterday.

14 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Eco Diesel
Does it have any drive train warranty? The '14's had severe problems with the emission system which could be very expensive.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:21 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea49 View Post
Does it have any drive train warranty? The '14's had severe problems with the emission system which could be very expensive.
I would think that would be a zero expense. Maybe a lot of down time but emissions controls come under Federal guidelines and have yo be warranted for 50K miles.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:59 PM   #43

Quote:
Five years, 100,000 miles.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:26 AM   #44

Eyeguy1, good looking truck you purchased now get out and enjoy it. It will do great pulling the camper. I would also not look at all the negative things on here all brands have their goods and bads. Enjoy the truck.
Crusader 816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:24 AM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Five years, 100,000 miles.
Please, what's the payload capacity?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:39 AM   #46
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiggins View Post
May think its funny but why don't you talk to someone that had their life damaged by someone being irresponsible and overloading a truck. People are killed or injured by this on a regular basis. I see telling someone its ok is almost as bad as doing it yourself.

There is a reason many RV dealers will not allow people with too small of a TV tow a trailer off their lot. Its not due to they are worried about your transmission and the truck pooping out. Its due to they know they can get sued if that person gets in an accident due to an overloaded truck.
Did I say it was funny? NO. Did I encourage anyone to over load their set up? NO. Did I damage anyones life? NO.

If you don't like the popcorn thats fine but some of us do.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:03 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Please, what's the payload capacity?
Advertised payload for the ED is 1610. Real world numbers usually run 1400-1500. The OP got all the questions answered. His setup will be close to the limits. Remember, max payload is not a limitation...it's a goal.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:53 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Advertised payload for the ED is 1610. Real world numbers usually run 1400-1500. The OP got all the questions answered. His setup will be close to the limits. Remember, max payload is not a limitation...it's a goal.

I like that emm-dee!!! Lol

Marty, Carla, Gabby and our ankle biters Rocky and Addy
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Eco Diesel
Forest River Wildwood 30KQBSS
eyeguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #49

Anyone tow with a Ram 1500 Eco Diesel?

You got opinions from every corner.... people that never sat in the truck, people that pull 6K trailers with a 3500, and people that have actually towed with the truck in question. You seem to have sorted through the info just fine, imo.

I would seriously consider Timbrens or airbags, and I would load as much as possible in the trailer rather than the truck. I would also go to the scales making sure your hitch is properly transferring weight back onto the steering tires.

Best of luck!
2016 - 47 nights
2017 - 47 nights
LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:19 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Curious. Any evidence of a dealer refusing a sale to someone with what they might consider to be a vehicle too small to do the job? And any evidence of any lawsuits that were ever filed against a dealer for not doing so? Not internet gossip, but actual evidence. (I'm guessing the greater majority of dealers have no idea what the tow capacity is of a certain truck and so long as you can pull it off the lot, they are happy and will remain ignorant.

One of the most mentioned items when someone asks about towing capability of a truck; traveling over 65 mph, etc., is a statement about it being illegal. But so far, never seen any empirical evidence.

So, if there is any such evidence, PLEASE bring forward so we can all be enlightened to this fact and purchase vehicles and/or trailers with more care in the future. Thanks.....
To answer your questions:

1.) Any evidence of a dealer refusing a sale to someone with what they might consider to be a vehicle too small to do the job?
A: I talk to three separate dealers in VA that asked what my TV was when I was looking at fifth wheels. All told me about recommendations on "minimum truck" for the job and asked what I had. Two told me they do not allow people to tow off oversized trailers from their lots with illegal overwieghted trucks. Both said it was a legal liability for them. I have had this issue with equipment trailer dealers for my business also.

2.) And any evidence of any lawsuits that were ever filed against a dealer for not doing so?
A: Only evidence is dealers telling me its their policy due to lawsuits. I personally have no knowledge of any lawsuits but people sue for everything now a days. Also by the way, I am in construction not even the trailer business... I will tell you I can off the top of my head know the payloads and towing caps of most trucks due to just being around them. I doubt that makes me special by any means, just a redneck. So I think camper dealers probably have a pretty good idea also.

3.) Your question about overloading a truck being illegal? Just look up laws. Its pretty easy to show as there is a reason there is weight stations in every state to my knowledge. With all the trucks I run for business, I always get a call every once in awhile from one of my drivers telling me they are pulled over getting weighted by a state trooper due to he thinks the truck is overloaded (By the way never have gotten fined for it). In Virginia, they have mobile equipment they can put in few of their state police cars that can weigh the truck and trailer on the side of the road. And they pass out huge fines for being overweight for the road, pass ratings for the trailer and/or truck, and etc. Do not believe me? Call the state police office and ask...

Ratings are mainly for safety reasons and personally feel its common sense not to push their rates to the max or beyond. Anyways all I was trying to do was pass on real advice before the gentleman bought a truck that is rated UNDER what his trailer is Grossed at. Call me the police or what not, I feel its good advice.
2013 Ford F-350 Ultimate Lariat Edition with 6.7 Power Stroke
chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:04 PM   #51

I have no problem towing at max load ratings. I don't believe in needing a one ton truck to tow a 5k trailer.

If you are worried about a vehicle running at its max load rating, I suggest you avoid flying. Airlines want to carry as much paying weight, cargo and people, as possible to maximize efficiency and profit. The days of sitting on an empty 737 are over.

I will say the one difference between trucks and aircraft is that I was a little more concerned about the turbines running at 100% rated power continuously then keeping my accelerator pedal floored while towing up the "Ike Guantlet".
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:36 PM   #52

Lol 😂

Marty, Carla, Gabby and our ankle biters Rocky and Addy
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Eco Diesel
Forest River Wildwood 30KQBSS
eyeguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:16 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I have no problem towing at max load ratings. I don't believe in needing a one ton truck to tow a 5k trailer.

If you are worried about a vehicle running at its max load rating, I suggest you avoid flying. Airlines want to carry as much paying weight, cargo and people, as possible to maximize efficiency and profit. The days of sitting on an empty 737 are over.

I will say the one difference between trucks and aircraft is that I was a little more concerned about the turbines running at 100% rated power continuously then keeping my accelerator pedal floored while towing up the "Ike Guantlet".
You have no problem with towing at max rating that is fine but not my way of doing things. My point is passed max rating which brings on safety issues along with the other issues. Personally I never push trucks to tow on a regular basis at max rating due to that is why you see trucks with new transmission at 50,000 miles, rear end issues, and etc. Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you have whether a truck, plane, bull dozer, and etc... If they are run full on they will need repairs and/or replacement way sooner than a piece of equipment that is run easier.

Any your explanation about airlines? I bet the airlines have run the numbers to find that it is cheaper to run their planes harder due to fuel costs and/or competing to keep rates low while it increased repair costs IS more efficient than their pass ways. But they are keeping within the manufacturer's ratings is the big thing. People make those business decisions to better their business models. My business decision is to never come close to the ratings on my equipment to make it last longer and have few repairs, that makes my bottom line better.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:47 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiggins View Post
You have no problem with towing at max rating that is fine but not my way of doing things. My point is passed max rating which brings on safety issues along with the other issues. Personally I never push trucks to tow on a regular basis at max rating due to that is why you see trucks with new transmission at 50,000 miles, rear end issues, and etc. Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you have whether a truck, plane, bull dozer, and etc... If they are run full on they will need repairs and/or replacement way sooner than a piece of equipment that is run easier.

Any your explanation about airlines? I bet the airlines have run the numbers to find that it is cheaper to run their planes harder due to fuel costs and/or competing to keep rates low while it increased repair costs IS more efficient than their pass ways. But they are keeping within the manufacturer's ratings is the big thing. People make those business decisions to better their business models. My business decision is to never come close to the ratings on my equipment to make it last longer and have few repairs, that makes my bottom line better.

But have you ever towed with a Ram 1500 diesel?
M & A Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #55

have 2015 dodge ram 1500 made to tow .5.7 tried eco but a lot of bottom end .but could run faster to get up to speed. with a keystone 280 krs toy hauler. now have 2017 hper lite 30 hds glade i have the hemi .dont now its there stops good handles even better just saying.eco good on fuel if you want to drive like a car .
bingo king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:21 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by M & A Camping View Post
But have you ever towed with a Ram 1500 diesel?
Nope only driven one. Personally see anything under 1 ton as a toy or a car not a truck just my opinion. But maybe that's just me as the smallest truck I own is a 1 ton and I own a lot of trucks. But to what you are getting at... I have spent my life towing heavy equipment around and my company moves equipment around on a daily basis. So I have a pretty good understanding of towing, safety, regulations, and etc.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:04 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I would think that would be a zero expense. Maybe a lot of down time but emissions controls come under Federal guidelines and have yo be warranted for 50K miles.
Even under warranty you can get screwed. The tolerance on DEF fluid is tight. I was at the dealer when a customer had been told he used the wrong fluid and it was going to cost him $3000. He was furious and said he had been using Blue DEF since the day he bought it over two years ago and that the box said it met the proper standard. The dealership told him to take it up with the DEF company and there was nothing they could do!

As soon as my warranty is up I ripping it all out. You can get a full vehicle program for the 3.0 Eco Diesel out of Australia because they don't have it on theirs and they get between 40 - 50 mpg on the same engine.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:42 AM   #58

We tow our FR TT with a 2015 Ecodiesel CC with Big Horn trim and 4x2 with 3.92 gears. It has the towing package and our TT is about 7200# loaded.

With the trailer tongue weight and passengers I am pushing the 1300# cargo carrying capacity of the truck. Also, I'm cooler months we don't have issues but last summer in 110 degree heat we pulled thru Utah' hills and saw oil temps over 260 and coolant temps hit 245. It was definitely starting to overheat towing in the heat.

Like others before me said, the motor has enough torque to pull that TT but not safely stop it and you'd probably be way over GVWR on the truck. Comfort zone on that trailer is probably a Cummins 2500.

Otherwise, we get 28 mpg on the highway!

Good luck in your TV search.
Squirrelchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:58 AM   #59

Quote:
Even under warranty you can get screwed. The tolerance on DEF fluid is tight. I was at the dealer when a customer had been told he used the wrong fluid and it was going to cost him $3000. He was furious and said he had been using Blue DEF since the day he bought it over two years ago and that the box said it met the proper standard. The dealership told him to take it up with the DEF company and there was nothing they could do!

As soon as my warranty is up I ripping it all out. You can get a full vehicle program for the 3.0 Eco Diesel out of Australia because they don't have it on theirs and they get between 40 - 50 mpg on the same engine.
Good luck with that. The emissions systems are so intertwined with each other and the ECM, that deleting one impacts the others in a negative manner. You'll spend a bundle removing it, I mean a bundle and then you become liable if emissions checked. Volkswagen did it, got caught and fined, keep that in mind.

Not sure about 'DEF tolerance'. We run numerous Class 8 diesels that are Tier 4 compliant and they replenish their DEF tanks at truckstops at the fuel pumps as well as a bulk tank at the yard and we have had no issues ever with 'out of spec' diesel exhaust fluid.

I believe that comment is all about a dealer not admitting their ignorance / lack of training concerning Tier 4 final emissions technology, which is complex.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:13 AM   #60

Quote:
Just FYI but I would be completely prepared to call FCA and open a case if a dealership tried to sell me that line of BS. I would also insist that the dealership administer a DPF test with a sample drawn in my presence as well as a sample for my own testing and provide me with their results so that they can be compared to mine.

There are some dealers who immediately jump to the conclusion that the customer has bad DEF without running proper diagnostics to discover the true cause of malfunction (clogged DPF injector, bad sensor, current flash update, etc) and are simply too eager to move from a covered-by-warranty to a lucrative cash customer scenario.
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, diesel