Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2018, 07:54 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 8
Awning and Awning Motor

So I have a standard LCI head unit (Blocky type mounted on the awning arm off the tube).

Recently it has been operating extremely slow and eventually stopped. It will currently work intermittently. I took it to a local RV repair shop and they said I had a crimped wire. I assumed problem was fixed (Checked it before i left). When packing out of Fort Wilderness it would roll up. Checked for crimped wires , to my surprise (insert sarcasm) no crimped wire. I was able to manually help the motor pull the awing up, after 45 minutes of freaking out.

My question is.

-To me this seems like a failing motor. Anybody agree?

-Has anyone successfully changed their own motor?

-Lastly. The awning itself may have one more season on it. Has anyone successfully installed a awning on this type of unit?
__________________

JBRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:01 AM   #2
World Wide Wanderer
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Sprung Leak, NC
Posts: 1,622
Not a fan of LCI, prefer Carefree or ZipDee.

The motors are replaceable as is the fabric. No need to purchase a complete awning, the fabric basically slides into the channels. You will need to find the exact procedure, there are springs in the roller that you don't want to accidentally release tension on.

I will have to dig up the schematics for the LCI. I would check voltage at the motor head and make sure you are getting full voltage, loose connections, bad switches and such can mimic a failing motor. Go for the cheap fix first!

Aaron
__________________

__________________
Aaron & Rhonda
wahoonc & Airangel60

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:41 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
realebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: baltimore,md
Posts: 405
I had a problem with my power awning working intermittently and finally traced the issue to the 2 pin connection from the motor to the wire in the arm. 1 pin was totally corroded. cut the connector off and replaced it. applied dielectric grease to the pins. now have a working awning again!
Attached Images
 
__________________
2008 rockwood signature ultra lite 8315SS[SIGPIC]
realebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:50 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Not a fan of LCI, prefer Carefree or ZipDee.

The motors are replaceable as is the fabric. No need to purchase a complete awning, the fabric basically slides into the channels. You will need to find the exact procedure, there are springs in the roller that you don't want to accidentally release tension on.

I will have to dig up the schematics for the LCI. I would check voltage at the motor head and make sure you are getting full voltage, loose connections, bad switches and such can mimic a failing motor. Go for the cheap fix first!

Aaron
Are the other motors switch out pretty easily with the LCI or will there need to be a lot of retro fitting?
JBRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:56 AM   #5
World Wide Wanderer
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Sprung Leak, NC
Posts: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRIZ View Post
Are the other motors switch out pretty easily with the LCI or will there need to be a lot of retro fitting?
Need to use the motor that it is designed for. You might be able to make something else fit, but will it work and how well? I haven't torn down and LCI so I don't know if they use a proprietary motor assembly or a universal motor in a mount. Based on the picture from their parts website, only and LCI motor is going to fit. List price is ~$205.

Aaron
__________________
Aaron & Rhonda
wahoonc & Airangel60

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:59 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by realebill View Post
I had a problem with my power awning working intermittently and finally traced the issue to the 2 pin connection from the motor to the wire in the arm. 1 pin was totally corroded. cut the connector off and replaced it. applied dielectric grease to the pins. now have a working awning again!
WHOA... that seems pretty cheap... I will look at that. I have the same connector exposed on the bottom of my arm
JBRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:42 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 110
There is/was a thread here a while back about replacing awning motors. These folks found that a power window motor out of junked cars fit fine. Might look at that route before big bucks on a motor from a dealer.
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:42 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 337
Last year, my local RV Repair Shop changed out the 3 year old Dometic awning material with a heavy duty material supplied by Carefree. The 18' awning material was about $400 installed.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #9
Bene Gesserit Rule
 
Murbella7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRIZ View Post
So I have a standard LCI head unit (Blocky type mounted on the awning arm off the tube).

Recently it has been operating extremely slow and eventually stopped. It will currently work intermittently. I took it to a local RV repair shop and they said I had a crimped wire. I assumed problem was fixed (Checked it before i left). When packing out of Fort Wilderness it would roll up. Checked for crimped wires , to my surprise (insert sarcasm) no crimped wire. I was able to manually help the motor pull the awing up, after 45 minutes of freaking out.

My question is.

-To me this seems like a failing motor. Anybody agree?

-Has anyone successfully changed their own motor?

-Lastly. The awning itself may have one more season on it. Has anyone successfully installed a awning on this type of unit?
There (usually) is a connector between the motor wire tails and the supply wires from the control panel, just near the motor itself. This may not be connected/seated properly, resulting in a high resistance, which would sap the power, leaving insufficient voltage to run the motor properly. Check that.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:00 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,725
Just one more reason the old manual awnings are better !!!
__________________

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
awning

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 PM.