Old 01-31-2019, 08:22 PM   #1
rgw

Axle issues

We have a 2011 Wildwood 28RLSS travel trailer. During a trip last year we had an unfortunate "meeting" with a steel cattle guard that blew a tire, bent the rim, and also bent the axle. After replacing the rim and tire we ended up spending several days in a way point waiting for a new axle. The axle was installed by the trailer service company and we were on our way again. However... I noticed that the axle is not straight across like the other axle. Instead, it's slightly "crowned," meaning it is bowed up in the middle (like an inverted "u") a few degrees. The trailer service firm said it's fine and the bowing is normal, however the other axle isn't bowed at all. Even more concerning, I check the hub temperatures at every stop and the hubs for the wheels connected to the bowed axle are much warmer to the touch than the ones on the straight axle. Does anyone have experience with the axles on these trailers, and can you tell me if this is indeed normal and nothing to worry about?
Thanks!

rgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:17 PM   #2

The axle should be bowed up in the middle. The bearings may be set a little tight if they are a lot warmer.

bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:38 PM   #3
Site Team

I think I'd be concerned about the old axle that ISN'T bowed. Both of mine are and one is only 1 year old.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 55; booked = 20
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #4
Head Rambler

As said above, the axles should be crowned. However the factory has been known to use straight axles. Having one crowned and one straight won't hurt anything.

As for the heat issue, get yourself an infrared heat gun and check them with that to see just how much hotter the new ones are than the old ones. It could also be that the brakes are working better on that axle than the old one and you're feeling the heat from stopping.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:36 PM   #5
rgw

Thank you!

Great insights. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I'm relaxing now...
rgw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle