Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2016, 01:03 PM   #1

Battery charging question

My new TT sits in my driveway under a cover when I'm not using it. I can run a 120 volt extension cord from the garage to plug it in periodically to keep the batteries charged. My question to you, experienced RVers, is how often should I plug it in and for how long? Do you plug it in more frequently in the winter? Would love to hear what the pros recommend. Thanks!

Tow Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Travel Trailer: 2017 Heritage Glen 27BH
SecretAgentMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:08 PM   #2

Unless I'm getting ready for a trip I don't plug my rig (converter) in, however I do disconnect the batteries (with disconnect switch) and plug them into a battery tender so they stay fully charged. I don't see any reason for the entire unit to be powered just for the batteries. With that said may folks leave their's plugged in all the time
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:24 PM   #3

Mine stays plugged in to a 20A receptacle with a 30A to 20A adaptor plug...except when I mow or need the cord for yard work...unplug-->mow/yard work-->replug...
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Unless I'm getting ready for a trip I don't plug my rig (converter) in, however I do disconnect the batteries (with disconnect switch) and plug them into a battery tender so they stay fully charged. I don't see any reason for the entire unit to be powered just for the batteries. With that said may folks leave their's plugged in all the time

I do the same thing. I don't trust the converter for extended periods. While it may never malfunction and overcharge, I know for certain my charger will just shut down if something goes wrong.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #5
When No RV, Ford in Tow.

Take it from my own experience - don't leave your battery plugged in for an extended period of time (like over winter). I did, and it was a big mistake (about $140). I had to buy a new battery, the old one had basically been killed off. I now use a BatteryMinder (similar to Battery Tender) which is a float charger and desulfator. HIGHLY recommend getting one; this way you can keep your battery in tip-top shape when in storage for a long duration. Nice thing is, I also parallel my tractor battery with it over the winter to keep it maintained. Well worth the investment. Just be sure to get one that's compatible with your battery type (there's absorbent glass mat (AGM), gel cell (similar to AGM) and wet cell (old school sulfuric acid).
Greenmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:06 AM   #6

What Greenmetal said.

Only if you live in a cold climate you are better to bring the battery into the garage to avoid freezing temps.

I pull mine at the end of the season, put it in the garage on a plastic shelving (they say its not good to set them right on cement?) and plug it into a battery tender.

During the summer - I just use my battery disconnect (that I added) to unhook it while parked and then plug it in when I'm loading up to make sure its fully charged.
mkosu04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:15 AM   #7

What is wrong with leaving it plugged in to shore power all the time???????

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #8

In my research it sounds like it depends on the inverter/charger that is in your TT. My dad said the charger in their old motor home was set too high and would kill the batteries if they were plugged in too long.

Tow Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Travel Trailer: 2017 Heritage Glen 27BH
SecretAgentMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:58 AM   #9
Site Team

Unless you have a 4stage converter, you should not plug in and forget it as it could cause the batteries to run dry and destroy them. You have several options.

1. Add a battery disconnect switch to eliminate all current draw ( some things are always on) and plug in and run converter for a day or so every month
2. Leave RV plugged in and allow converter to charge batteries BUT you should check battery electrolyte levels monthly.
3. Connect a battery tender to the shore power and allow it to maintain the battery with the RV unplugged.
4. upgrade the converter to one of the new Progressive 4 stage converters.

I have used the battery tender method on my last 3 RV's with excellent results.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:06 PM   #10

Flybob, you are always such a help. (I Liked your last avatar better, though, bro! LOL)

Can you give me a URL for the Progressive 4 stage converter? (And how do I know which one I have?)

P.S.
I do check batteries often.......I have four sixes.........

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:23 PM   #11
Site Team

If you have a build sheet for the 5er it should list the converter. Odds are you have a WFCO . You may also be able to get model from the unit ( should be in the same area as the fuse/breaker panel.). Just to be sure check current model as some new WFCO are supposed to have 4 stage capability. The progressive site will provide direct replacements for the one you have. As you have 4 sixes, you might consider a slightly higher current model ( as long as it has the same dimensions.) Switch out is fairly simple if you can do basic electrical connections.

Avatar needed a change will go back later. Barn owl is one of our raptors as well.

Progressive site RV & Motorhome Power Supplies, Converters and Centers

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:26 PM   #12

I charge once a month, that was prior to my solar panel install.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, battery