Old 06-26-2018, 03:55 PM   #1

Battery Help

Hi fellow RVers. I'm new to this whole journey and certainly no genius when it comes to electrical things. I've tried to do some googling but I really don't understand so I'm hoping someone here can explain.

We have a Wildwood Xlite 271BHXL. The dealer gave us one 12V battery an Interstate HD-24DP. Our first dry trip to the beach we drained the battery in about 36 hours just using the water pump when needed, one LED light inside just briefly, etc. The fridge was on the propane setting. We are considering either adding another 12V for around $100 or trading the one we have and getting two 6V to the tune of about $300 with the credit for trading our 12V.

Anyone have experience with one or another of these options? We won't be dry camping for more than 3-4 days max. We do have the setup for the GoPower system which is $680 so we may get that in the near future or considering one of the Honda portable generators for $1k but those are costly and I'm gathering we would still probably want the two 6V battery system if we go with solar.

The guy at Interstate batteries thinks the two 6V system might run the AC which is a single 13,500BTU but I find that hard to believe.

Help me understand what works for you!

mrscloonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
Site Team

Wow salesmen are all alike. You can not practically run an AC on two 6V batteries. An AC with a 12A load will draw over 120A DC. Most 6V golf cart batteries are 220AHr and you want to try to keep from drawing them below 40-50% so 110Ahr. But two 6V golf cart batteries is the way to go. The group 24 battery is a dual purpose starting / deep cycle?? battery and will support exactly what you saw it support. They are inexpensive and they meet the min requirement to operate the breakaway system and provide some power when not connected. I would go with the two 6V gold cart batteries. They will work well for you and will be good when you add solar. You may also want to check your fridge. The control board and in some models a heater run on 12V even on propane. The heater is a resistance heater that heats the area between the fridge and freezer door to prevent condensation. It is a battery killer. You can remove the wire from the control board to disable it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Oh yea....it will run the Ac....with a big inverter.....for maybe 10 minutes....totally frying the batteries. Do not do that. Look into the solar option. There are many options that may cost less.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:16 PM   #4
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
OH, by the way, I bought 2 six volt cart type batteries (Trojan clones) for 94.00 each at Costco. If going this route, you will need an additional jumper between the 2 batteries. Remember, these are 6 volt batteries, and must be connected in SERIES.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:20 PM   #5

Thank you both!
Old 06-26-2018, 04:34 PM   #6

Just remember that two 6V batteries are much heavier as a rule than a single 12v.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:35 PM   #7

Thanks Mike. They'll be sitting on the metal brace on the travel trailer so I think it should be ok. Any reason to think it won't be?
Old 06-26-2018, 04:48 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscloonan View Post

The guy at Interstate batteries thinks the two 6V system might run the AC which is a single 13,500BTU but I find that hard to believe.
What an idiot! Next time you see him, tell him he's got a lot to learn.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscloonan View Post
Thanks Mike. They'll be sitting on the metal brace on the travel trailer so I think it should be ok. Any reason to think it won't be?
Just mentioning it as it seems like tongue weight grows rather rapidly. If you don't add a bunch of other weight to the front of your trailer you should be golden. The 6 V's weigh 65-75 lbs versus 40-45 for a grp 24. That could be an extra 100# or more on the tongue. How that works for you will depend on overall weight distribution of your "cargo".

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:54 PM   #10

Wow, you got 36 hours out of a group 24? That is pretty good. Although, you really weren't using much. If you dry camp for 3-4 days, a pair of 6 volt "golf cart" batteries is a good start. Even better if you get a nice little solar system to top them off during the day.

The way I look at it, you have a nice homey trailer to camp in, you shouldn't have to feel like settlers crossing the country in the 1850's, living in the dark doing everything by lantern light.

We have 2 golf cart batteries, spent 4 days, had one person with their computer plugged into a 300 watt inverter for a few hours 2 days, many small electronics charging every day, fridge on propane, water pump running, heat at night to keep the cold off (set at like 55), turned on whatever lights we wanted, and had the awning lights running several hours every night. I do have portable 200 watt solar panels to top off the batteries every day which worked great until the cloudy day, but, we still made it through that day and into the next.

I bought this trailer to be more comfortable than the primitive tent camping. Paid money for the conveniences, and darn it, I am going to use them. That said, I am in the planning phase of 4 golf cart batteries, or maybe 3-4 12 volt batteries and step up my capacity. Then, get a 2000 watt inverter in the picture so that I can run the microwave here and there. Why? Why not? I didn't pay this much money for a trailer so I can stumble around in the dark.

Oh, if you are going to do a lot of dry camping, get a real battery monitor so you can keep track of the battery level. The LED light thing in the camper won't cut it. Or to get you started, get a cheap volt meter and periodically check the battery voltage against the 12 volt battery level chart that can be found all over the internet. 12 volt life is a hobby all into itself.

joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery