Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #1

Battery question

I've got a 26bhxl, with the stock battery. I think it's a group 24. Is it suppose to last a night for just running the furnace in about 2 to 0 celcius outside temp ?
I'm just curious because i'm going dry camping for the first time this weekend and I just want to make sure that the familly will be warm up all night.
Thanks
Old 05-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Denver, CO

Depends on how cold it gets and how often the blower runs. Plus you will have the lights and water pump etc.

You can search (unless turb or herk chime in) for the list of amperage draws on the site and estimate your total consumption. Than take 50% of your battery capacity, and see if it matches.

If you strictly use the furnace overnight you can most likely make it, but the lights, pump and other stuff may stretch your limit. A typical group 24 has about 80 hour of capacity, so you'd want to stay at or less than 40 Amphours total between charging sessions.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
Site Team

that battery should be able to last one night of heavy furnace use, as long as you conserve power during the day.
do you have a generator to recharge it the next day?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #4

From past experience, if the battery is new it will get through one weekend but not much more. The problem will be your converter's inability to fully charge the battery when you get your TT powered back up. It turns into a death spiral for the battery. I've woken up several times at 4 in the morning freezing my but off because of a dead battery I thought the converter had charged to full. I use an external charger now with no problems.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:44 AM   #5

Yes i have a generator during the day. But the camproung are allowing generators operations between 9am to 9pm.

For charging i'm bringing my 15A battery charger, so in maybe 3hrs of charge the battery should be full charge.
Thanks
Old 05-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfx4 View Post
Yes i have a generator during the day. But the camproung are allowing generators operations between 9am to 9pm.

For charging i'm bringing my 15A battery charger, so in maybe 3hrs of charge the battery should be full charge.
Thanks
your trailer's converter will probably charge the battery faster than your 15A charger.
just plug the shore cord into the generator and let it run. no different than it charging the battery when you have electric hookups.
that way you don't have to lug the charger around.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
Denver, CO

Chargers taper off pretty fast, so will not charge at the rated amps very long. The last 20 Amphours or so take ALOT of time. Realistically, a 3 hour charge with most 15 amp external chargers may give you 30 Amphours total. The 25 amp converter will probably do better, but not much.

So if you can charge 30 or 40 amps into the battery and not use more than that, then you'll be ok.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
Denver, CO

And if you drop the battery much below 50% capacity very often, they won't last long.