Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2019, 06:31 AM   #1

Black lines/spots on top of roof where trusses are

Just got on top my 2018 26BHXL Wildwood X Lite and see about 5 light black lines running from side to side on my roof. Looks like they might be over some trusses or braces in the framing. Anything to worry about or just maybe put EnternaBond tape on them? It is not mold or mildew.
Mike
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 V8 4x4
Mike223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike223 View Post
Just got on top my 2018 26BHXL Wildwood X Lite and see about 5 light black lines running from side to side on my roof. Looks like they might be over some trusses or braces in the framing. Anything to worry about or just maybe put EnternaBond tape on them? It is not mold or mildew.
Mike
Picture? Not mold or mildew...but light black lines? Dirt from condensation over trusses?

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:35 AM   #3

Black lines on roof

I have a 2016 Coachmen Chaparral and have the lines also. They are over the trusses, is it a bad sign?, I don't know but would like to have some input from experienced rv buddies or someone in the manufacturing business before a leak occurs.
Matheny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:46 AM   #4

condensation collects dirt. Dirt stains.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
condensation collects dirt. Dirt stains.

Not only that any wrinkle or irregularity in the roof surface tends to collect dirt like gold is collected in a sluice box riffle.

Regular cleaning with a soft "car wash brush" can keep these to a minimum. Ignore and eventually mold, mildew, moss, or just plain algae will start growning.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:52 PM   #6

Put Eternabond Tape on all the problem lines. That should take care of the problem.
Mike
Old 09-08-2019, 05:12 PM   #7

Picture is worth a thousand words
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:45 PM   #8
Fla5er

Do you have a TPO roof? We also have the lines on our roof. After talking to the rv dealer and to other rv maintenance shops, they say that there is nothing to worry about: it seems to be inherent with TPO type of roofs. I clean our roof with a good roof cleaner and accompany it with a medium bristle brush. Most of it will come off, but not all. After I clean it I then use a protector.

I have found that after applying the protector that I can easily clean the roof by using a soft bristle (expandable) brush and the Thetford brand of RV Wash and Wax, approx. every 3 months or so, then follow up with the protector. I've yet run into a huge dirt/mildew problem using that method. In Florida we have to stay on top of things like the roof to keep it in good condition.
FlaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:52 PM   #9

Another dealer moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
Do you have a TPO roof? We also have the lines on our roof. After talking to the rv dealer and to other rv maintenance shops, they say that there is nothing to worry about: it seems to be inherent with TPO type of roofs.

That's all well and good, but what is causing it. Is it mildew from rain soaked mildewed trusses?

Most issues when addressed by dealers begin with or end with.
"There is nothing to worry about."

I clean our roof with a good roof cleaner and accompany it with a medium bristle brush. Most of it will come off, but not all. After I clean it I then use a protector.

I have found that after applying the protector that I can easily clean the roof by using a soft bristle (expandable) brush and the Thetford brand of RV Wash and Wax, approx. every 3 months or so, then follow up with the protector. I've yet run into a huge dirt/mildew problem using that method. In Florida we have to stay on top of things like the roof to keep it in good condition.

campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
Do you have a TPO roof? We also have the lines on our roof. After talking to the rv dealer and to other rv maintenance shops, they say that there is nothing to worry about: it seems to be inherent with TPO type of roofs. I clean our roof with a good roof cleaner and accompany it with a medium bristle brush. Most of it will come off, but not all. After I clean it I then use a protector.

I have an Alpha Super Flex roof, TPO. Also have lines as mentioned, three years old and from what I have learned is don’t worry about them.

Also manufacturer says only use soap; Dawn, Simple Green, Spic and Span or Murphy’s and a big “do not use” UV protection warning as the TPO has built in UVP. Wash three times a year.

None of the above mentioned soaps seem to work better than another in my experience.

I am wondering if you have a different type of TPO roof? Maybe in Florida you need more UV protection. I would actually like to use UV protection but am shying away from it, perhaps someone out there can shed more light on this.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike223 View Post
Put Eternabond Tape on all the problem lines. That should take care of the problem.
Mike
Careful now, if a TPO roof the manufacturer does not recommend that. I put Eternabond on a small cut on my roof and the surrounding area bubbled.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:23 PM   #12

Quote:
I put Eternabond on a small cut on my roof and the surrounding area bubbled.
are you suggesting the bubbling occurred because of the tape being applied over a hole?
Perhaps there was trapped moisture below the cut roof area?
How did you clean that area where you put the Eternabond?

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:33 PM   #13
Fla5er

That's all well and good, but what is causing it. Is it mildew from rain soaked mildewed trusses?

If the problem comes from rain-soaked, mildewed roof trusses, then there is a greater issue at hand here.

Cariboo, my roof is TPO, but I'm unaware of the built in UVP you mentioned. However, I do not know of any damage from the use of a protector to a TPO type of roof.
In Florida, the sun does a lot of damage primarily to paint and decals, and it tends to quickly dull the finish on gel coat as well, so protecting the roof is also a priority. We're closer to the Equator than you, so the sun is way more intense than it is in your neck of the woods. We also have longer daylight hours, therefore more UV rays. It's best to get a good cover, or better yet, to house the rv in an enclosed building (if you could afford it!!) rather than letting it sit out in the sun while not being used.
FlaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:55 PM   #14

I have the lines on my top too. 2016 Cardinal.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #15

Black lines on the roof.

The black lines we had on our Wolf pup turned out to be the result of mold coming from under the roof from damage that had been covered up by a previous owner. It resulted in a total tear off and replace and a new roof by R B Armor Here’s hoping that’s not your problem.
Robin and Jan with Ziva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:47 AM   #16

It is funny though that all the lines are right over my trusses??? I don't have any other "extra ordinary" mold or mildew. Cleaned my roof with regular cleaner and put Enterna Tape over the lines. That should keep anything from leaking if that was to occur in the future.
Mike
Old 09-09-2019, 06:02 AM   #17

If you drive down a residential street when there is morning frost you can often look at roofs and see every rafter, where the frost has melted due to the heat leak due to lack of insulation. RV roofs are insulated with foam and the trusses are uninsulated. The same thing occurs and the condensation from heating and cooling will eventually concentrate dirt or even mildew on these truss lines.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #18

I have had these same faint lines since my trailer was a few months old. I haven't gave it a second thought, dew settles on the two areas differently. I think that is the cause.
ray98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, roo, roof