Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2016, 04:44 PM   #1

Black Tank / RV Anti-freeze

Ok. So I've seen multiple answers and want to do some more research. I live fulltime in our 5th wheel with my husband. We are dealing with snow right now and really low temps. I dumped the black tank yesterday so it's empty so we won't have to do it again for a week or so. We do have a heated water hose and skirting up. My question is, I use the Geo Method. Would it hurt to put some RV Antifreeze in my black tank? And if I can use it how much? I've also heard of using Rock Salt. But I'm not completely comfortable with that idea. Opinions helpful. Thank you in advance.

Visit my blog:https://www.rvlifemilitarystyle.blogspot.com

🌺 Christina LaPlaca 🌺
Angelbunnie13182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
Site Team

It certainly wouldn't hurt anything, but if you are actively using it, I don't know how much good it would do. It would get diluted pretty quickly.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
It certainly wouldn't hurt anything, but if you are actively using it, I don't know how much good it would do. It would get diluted pretty quickly.
Agree 100%! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:00 PM   #4

You dont/cant say where you are but your unit is Only a 3 season unit! It has to have drastic Mods to be used in COLD weather! There are certain places/times in the USA that it will NOT be livable,in regards to WATER system! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:17 PM   #5

When we used the Kenworth Motor Home all winter for snowmobileing in the UP of Mi I would dump about a quart of rocksalt in right after dumping.This will be washed to the low part of the tank (valve) and protect it from freezeing.There were 4 of us,wife and 2 kids,so after a day of use,I would add a gal of RV antifreeze.After that I added another quart of rock salt for every15 -20 flushes.There was a log (no pun) in the bathroom that would be after updated after each flush.There was a "#1 and # 2 " colume to check,so I had exact knowledge of what went in the tank. The thing about doing the rock salt thing is that if the toilet drops straight into the tank,there is no problem.If the line to the tank is a long horizontal run,dribble the rock salt in so the flush water can carry it away.In 10 years of winter use,which included 3 years on a perminant site in Indian River Mi,we never had any problems. I put 1 gal of antifreeze in the grey tank after draining but we used the grey sparingly,maybe for a hand wash in the toilet,but showers were at the camp facility (if it was open) or we just stunk for 3 days! What few dishes we had were done in a pan and tossed out the door.Styrofoam bowls,cups and plastic flatware most of the time.I built the MH with a basement that housed the fresh water tank and I ran the ducted heat trunk directly under it,so no problem there. Hopes this helps!
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:48 PM   #6

I would "think" that the heat from "BW"waster would prevent/deter freezing? I agree that the antifreeze wold end up being so diluted to render it useless. Rock Salt? can't be good for the seals can it?
I would help if you have enclosed and heated tanks. Heated tank kits are available as an aftermarket install.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

I always though the same about the heat... But I still poor some AF in when all is said and done.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:09 PM   #8

-40*C windshield washer is cheaper
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:14 PM   #9
Who Dares, Wins

I have done that as well... That is actually what I use in my drains and tanks usually (NOT IN THE DRINKING LINES!!) but the Walmart had the AF cheaper when I bought it.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 01-23-2016, 02:56 PM   #10

Dump some calcium chloride in there.

Bruce
Old 01-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #11

I wonder if regular auto AF could be used in Gray & Black tanks ???
It is made to be diluted !!!
COST ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I wonder if regular auto AF could be used in Gray & Black tanks ???
It is made to be diluted !!!
COST ???
Last automotive A/F I looked at WAS already a 50/50 mix, I imagine they are trying to keep the price point lower.

Not sure about the EPA regulations now but at one point Automotive A/F was a hazardous material so dumping it into a sewer system was a bad idea.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #13
Who Dares, Wins

It is pretty toxic stuff, if it is drank it can crystallize the kidneys.. Then you die. Kills lots of pets each year... I'd stick to something else.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 01-24-2016, 09:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Last automotive A/F I looked at WAS already a 50/50 mix, I imagine they are trying to keep the price point lower.

Not sure about the EPA regulations now but at one point Automotive A/F was a hazardous material so dumping it into a sewer system was a bad idea.
Your probably right Ford !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:00 AM   #15

It is against federal law to dump any form or ammount of ethelene glycol Engine antifreeze) in any watershed,on the ground,in any sewer system or in any waterway.I was in the marina business for quite a few years and when we were winterizeing boatsthe coasties would stop for a visit every week or so and sample the AF we used.We bought 100% (undiluted) polypropelene glycol ,slush point -200 deg f )and diluted it to schive a -20 deg slush point.This we used in engines,water systems got rv watersystem af.Thecoasties would come around in the spring too and check to see what was comming out of the exhaust when we started up boats that were winterized.The 100% polypropelene is what I jugged uo and used in my black/grey tanks because it was free,and could be diluted down as far as 400% and still have a slush point of around + 10 deg.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank