Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #1

Bulge in tire on both sides of rim

So I have 2 trips under my belt in my Wildwood X Lite. I noticed before the second trip that one of my tires was low on air. I inflated it, and it lost air over a 2 day period. I changed it for my spare and after inflating to recommended PSI I noticed a bulge in the sidewall on the inside and outside of the tire. The unit is only a few months old. Are tires typically covered by the factory warranty? Any feedback/info is greatly appreciated.
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:14 PM   #2

Cheap junk they put on our RV's. Replace all five with either Maxxix 8008's or Goodyear marathons, end of tire problems. Contact FR, they will send you $$$ towards new tires.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:23 PM   #3
tjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneDude 8289 View Post
. Contact FR, they will send you $$$ towards new tires.

Not my experience. The tires had their own warranty thru the tire manufacture. They will send you new tires. The new tires that were sent to me were a different brand than the originals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:23 PM   #4

There was a recall on the tires on my wildwood x lite - call your dealer for info. I got new tires - make sure you replace with good radials - don't let them send you a comparable tire.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Sno4life01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:30 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantyszka View Post
So I have 2 trips under my belt in my Wildwood X Lite. I noticed before the second trip that one of my tires was low on air. I inflated it, and it lost air over a 2 day period. I changed it for my spare and after inflating to recommended PSI I noticed a bulge in the sidewall on the inside and outside of the tire. The unit is only a few months old. Are tires typically covered by the factory warranty? Any feedback/info is greatly appreciated.
Can you post a pic? I run into this weekly where the tire really has an indention, and it seems like a bulge on the sides of the indention. It's technically called "undulation", and is basically a seam where cord fabric overlaps itself. Nothing wrong with the tire if it's undulation. You will have the indention in both sidewalls directly across from each other. Just about every radial tire has it to some degree, and it's more noticeable on higher ply and wider tires. You may also see it more than one place.

Could this possibly be it?

Hold on and I'll find some pics.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:36 PM   #6
Site Team

Here are some undulation links, so you can compare to see if this is your tire or if it's something else.

http://us.coopertire.com/CooperTires...ulletin_54.pdf

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=32

Here's a tire with two undulations close to each other. The way to check, is to feel on the inside of the tire, directly across from the outside indention, and there should be an indention there too.

If you look real good, you will probably find small undulations on about every radial tire you have, whether on your trailer or tow vehicle.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:12 PM   #7

Wmtire, it is good to have your experience here. I always read your comments with interest. Thanks for your valued input.
Stantszka may have a problem though with his air leak. That type of air leak caused me to inspect my Trail Express tires after my second trip and I found a large bulge on the inside of the tire. Inspection at my trusted tire dealer confirmed separation. I put on 4 Carlisle ST Radials load range D and now have about 25,000 miles on them after 2 years with no problems. I took the new tire supplied by the warrantee and sold all 4 tires to a landscaper for his utility trailer. I did advise him of the "Bomb" nature of his newly acquired tires. My next purchase of tires will include the spare. Hope I never need this one remaining "bomb".
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:49 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantyszka View Post
So I have 2 trips under my belt in my Wildwood X Lite. I noticed before the second trip that one of my tires was low on air. I inflated it, and it lost air over a 2 day period. I changed it for my spare and after inflating to recommended PSI I noticed a bulge in the sidewall on the inside and outside of the tire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordHauler View Post
Wmtire, it is good to have your experience here. I always read your comments with interest. Thanks for your valued input.
Stantszka may have a problem though with his air leak. That type of air leak caused me to inspect my Trail Express tires after my second trip and I found a large bulge on the inside of the tire. Inspection at my trusted tire dealer confirmed separation. I put on 4 Carlisle ST Radials load range D and now have about 25,000 miles on them after 2 years with no problems. I took the new tire supplied by the warrantee and sold all 4 tires to a landscaper for his utility trailer. I did advise him of the "Bomb" nature of his newly acquired tires. My next purchase of tires will include the spare. Hope I never need this one remaining "bomb".
Travel safe
I was actually thinking it was his spare tire that may have had the undulation, from the way the OP has it worded in one sentence. I guess it's possible he changed it for the spare.....then aired up the leaking tire to see the bulges (or indentions) in it. Maybe he can clarify if it's two tires being discussed or just one.

I was not offering any advice on the leaking tire, as there are too many unknowns as to the cause...... which could very well be a bad tire or even a bad wheel.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:44 AM   #9

I too thought the OP was talking about a bulge in the spare hopefully he will get back & clear things up......

The biggest problem I have have with tires that slowly loose air is I pick up a nail, screw, or deer bone. Hasn't happened recently but there for awhile it was a fairly common thing.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:57 PM   #10

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
We had a popped bubble in one of our new tires, then a very very slow lead, on our new Windjammer when we got 900 miles down the road from central Texas to the 4 Corners area. I called FR and told them they should be ashamed of the tires they put on their new RV's. The warranty guy said my options were to get a new tire sent to me,,,,same make and all (NO, THANK YOU!!),,,,,OR he would send me $75 for each tire,,,,,not the spare though, I got $300 from FR.....sold the other new tires including the spare, to some moving guys for $200,,,, took that $500 to Discount Tire and got 5 E Load tires, Carlisle,,,,paid the $75 difference and am very happy with what FR did for me. Consider giving them a call.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:27 PM   #11

Maaxis gets my vote!

I recently bought a 2004 Coachmen Spirit of America 248TBG - I knew it needed tires when I bought it.

I took it into the tire shop and bought Towmax STR's, but the Maxxis 8008's that were on it were 10 years old, probably original.

Very little cracking in the Maxxis, but evident none the less. Towed it about 60 miles home on interstate with them until I later found out just how old they were. Date codes ended in 03 or 04.
davidx2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:34 PM   #12

We had problems with our 2014 Rockwood tires. They were dated Dec 13 and in Nov 14 had cracks in two of the tires and stretch marks on the other two. Rockwood authorized $75 per tires, as that is what the tires are worth, to replace them. Replaced them with better tires and made up the diff.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:23 PM   #13

We had those tires w/bulges on the inside. One blew out and some how made it home. Got rid of the China stuff and went with LT Goodyear tires. So when we traded for a new 5W, we had CW change out the factory tires for our Goodyears - NP now for over 5K miles.
DrippingDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:29 PM   #14

All tires will have indentations, some worse then others. It is where the cord plies are joined when manufactured. Protrusions or bulges are not normal especially if you have a tire that has had a leak or low air pressure in it when you check it. Do not put air in that tire with an unusual bulge or it may blow apart on you.
Tireguy397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:38 AM   #15

Even sitting for the summer here at Lake Georgetown in central Texas, I'm keeping my eyes of them....got em covered and on wood to help.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I was actually thinking it was his spare tire that may have had the undulation, from the way the OP has it worded in one sentence. I guess it's possible he changed it for the spare.....then aired up the leaking tire to see the bulges (or indentions) in it. Maybe he can clarify if it's two tires being discussed or just one.

I was not offering any advice on the leaking tire, as there are too many unknowns as to the cause...... which could very well be a bad tire or even a bad wheel.

I swapped the spare in for the bad tire and then inflated. I mixed soap and water and wet the tire after inflation but could not find a leak. I put it aside and over a few days it lost air. I am taking it to a tire place tonight to have them inspect it to see if it is the tire. If it is not the tire I am open to the possibility of it being the rim.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:42 PM   #17

Stan,,,did you soap up the valve and valvestem?
Old 06-18-2015, 03:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Jim View Post
Stan,,,did you soap up the valve and valvestem?
yep. Started with the stem.

Tags
tire