Old 06-08-2015, 12:49 PM   #1
Cable TV hookup trips 30 amp breaker

Hello all, I have a 2011, 32 SRV wildwood, fifth wheel, toy hauler. I've been a little puzzled as my cable causes my 30 amp breaker to trip as soon as it touches my RV. I've tried all the obvious things like:
1) unplugging the rv and then hooking up the cable TV, then plug back in the power and it blows
2) bypassing the outside cable hookup directly to the inside splitter box,,, then it blows
3) I replaced the 12 volt battery, still blows
4) I've tried hooking it up to the neighbours (that works fine for him) then it blows
5) I've tried green light off and or on for the antena, still blows.
6) went up to the roof to make sure antenna is not shorted out anywhere
7) after about 12 other attempts I finally ran a cable directly to the TV, thinking that I outsmarted the system, then I plug in my TV,,, and then it blows the breaker!
8) finally I ran a cable direct to the box and and electrical extension cord to a seperate plug not at my site and it works.,,, issue is what is possibly wrong with my system?

I'm stumped !!!! Can anyone help?

Any help would be much appreciated

Forward Message Reply With Quote

Jpaulmurphy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:08 PM   #2
any chance that 30 amp breaker is a GFCI breaker?
I'd say something is wrong with your TV. It's shorting to ground or neutral through the coax.

iowasparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:49 PM   #3
Go Pack Go!!
On your item #8 where you ran a cord to a separate plug not at your site, was it still a 30A 125V outlet or a 15/20A 125V outlet?

The way a GFCI breaker works is it internally measures current flow through the hot and neutral (grounded) conductor. E.G.- if there is 4 amps flowing on the hot there should be 4 amps flowing on the neutral. If there is a 4-6 milliamp current differential between the two conductors, the GFCI breaker will trip out, which means current flow is leaking out via another path to ground. This could be happening when you connect the cable wire, because the shielding is grounded at a different location, it finally completes the circuit.

Is this a campground park cable setup? My first guess is that there may be a poor connection between the 3rd prong on the trailer plug to the receptacle (the green or bare equipment grounding conductor), or the wiring inside the receptacle could be corroded or a high impedence connection.

Snap some pics of you setup and maybe that can help us help you.
1994 Damon Hornet 27R
2008 Wildwood PT- 392FKTB (For Sale)
2016 Wildwood 4092BFL (Still Getting Fixed by Dealer After Production)
codespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
It sounds like you've got a bad ground, or your TV is having issues. Could you check the coax with a volt ohm meter and see if there is any voltage on there that shouldn't be. From both ends as well. At the TV and From the TV
pthomson is offline   Reply With Quote