Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2017, 07:13 PM   #1

Cargo carrier on rear bumper

If I put a hitch on the back of my travel trailer to use my cargo carrier how much weight can I safety put on it without harming the bumper. Id like to out my generator and maybe a cooler but my generator is 100+ pounds by itself when full of fuel.
micsol84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:53 PM   #2

None. The only safe way to do this is to build a sub frame from 4" channel and run it fwd to the rear spring hangers.I used to pull doubles when we had a 24' Layton.I sub framed it,put a reciever on the sub,and regularily pulled a 2 place dirt bike trailer behind it.I dont want to hear from the saftey/wieght police about this setup because when I built it I pulled the whole rig down to the OSP post on Airport Highway (we lived in toledo at the time).They looked at it and said it was legal and looked plenty sturdy.Also said that since it was legal in OH, it was legal anywhere as long as length requirements were met.We pulled that rig all over Mi,Oh,Wv and kentuckey for over 2 yrs and never got stopped or even looked at.No further safety discussion from me.
As a side note,our 20' Corn-Pro 3 place horse trailer came from the factory with a 2" reciever in the rear crossmember.I ask about it when I bought it and was told"its for pulling doubles"Ive never done it but the fact remains,its there.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
None. The only safe way to do this is to build a sub frame from 4" channel and run it fwd to the rear spring hangers.I used to pull doubles when we had a 24' Layton.I sub framed it,put a reciever on the sub,and regularily pulled a 2 place dirt bike trailer behind it.I dont want to hear from the saftey/wieght police about this setup because when I built it I pulled the whole rig down to the OSP post on Airport Highway (we lived in toledo at the time).They looked at it and said it was legal and looked plenty sturdy.Also said that since it was legal in OH, it was legal anywhere as long as length requirements were met.We pulled that rig all over Mi,Oh,Wv and kentuckey for over 2 yrs and never got stopped or even looked at.No further safety discussion from me.
As a side note,our 20' Corn-Pro 3 place horse trailer came from the factory with a 2" reciever in the rear crossmember.I ask about it when I bought it and was told"its for pulling doubles"Ive never done it but the fact remains,its there.
X2, 0 weight above a spare tire, without a weld job to frame that voids warranty.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:54 PM   #4

I have one but only use it for fire wood. Even with fire wood I had to shim between the tube and receiver and bolt instead of pin to make it more stable. I definitely would not put generator on it. Plan to do what trbomax did. I would feel a lot better about whats back there.
gpaw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:44 PM   #5

Bumper Brackets

I can't speak from experience here, just interested in the answer myself.
Does something like these work ?

https://www.amazon.com/4SQUARE-Safet.../dp/B00JASCNEE

They bolt to the frame, giving the bumper more strength.
yourguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:19 PM   #6

I don't know what TT you have , but 2years ago I contacted FR to ask how much weight I could put on the bumper of my Wildwood UL26". I was told the max was 123 pounds. My new TT has a warning label on the bumper that installing any after market item voids the warrenty.
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:39 PM   #7

cago carrier on rear bumper

Just curious... How come I see several FR model TT's with nice cargo carriers right from the factory? What is different on those TT's. Please let us know as I like the idea of the factory carrier.
PaulRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRod View Post
Just curious... How come I see several FR model TT's with nice cargo carriers right from the factory? What is different on those TT's. Please let us know as I like the idea of the factory carrier.
Those are usually tied into the rear of the actual frame. They are not simply mounted to the bumper.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:47 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRod View Post
Those that are ultralight trailers, have ultralight frames.
Therefore the metal is thinner and bumper welds are barely able to support a spare tire. They're the ones with warning stickers on the bumper.

Other trailers have beefier but heavier frames, therefore can handle heavier weights on the bumper.

Depends on which one it is.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:19 PM   #10

I have the 4 Squares on my bumper and haven't had any issues. But all I put back there is a light weight aluminum carrier and my empty portable waist tank. I moved the spare under the trailer. The whole set up weighs about that of the spare and mount. Maybe less. I don't think I would put anything more than that on it.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Does something like these work ?

https://www.amazon.com/4SQUARE-Safet.../dp/B00JASCNEE
I have those struts... about 2 years and 6000 miles with no issues... I carry two, 2 inch hitches...
hitch 1 is for my bike... closer to the right side of the trailer. (not the middle).. maybe 40#

hitch 2 is for my fire pit... close to the left side... maybe another 40#counting the aluminum HF carrier...

both carriers are mounted close to the bumper... trying to minimize the torque applied by having a weight bouncing far from the bumper center, spare moved to bed of my truck

no visible damage, cracked welds or twisting to the bumper or the frame...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:39 PM   #12

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1031894

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:29 PM   #13

I am very fortunate. My new FR251RKS Arctic Version, came with a very heavy carrier. I took it off and use it only when needed. The spare tire was mounted under the TT, and I moved it to the canopy on my TV.

-------------------------
Ram2500 4x4 diesel, 6 speed manual, 8 foot bed
FR251RKS
debit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cargo