Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2016, 01:11 PM   #1

CastleRock tire failure warranty ?

Our 5th wheel is brand new,and a CastleRock tire had a tread seperation.The tread assembly seperated at the sidewall and went across to the other sidewall just peeled it back.Slapping the wheel well flooring before we got stopped.I now have a hole in the flooring.I have talked with Forest River,and Lions Head Company replaced the tire.Now comes the warrenty repair does anyone seen this repair,and does the slide come off.A small hole around 4 inch in length,but lost most of the wood in that area as well.How long would it take.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:46 PM   #2

Make a pattern out of card board for the wheel well arch. Take your pattern to a sheet metal shop and have them cut a piece of aluminum to match. Take it home, and using lots of sealant, put it in place. No more worries. Now, take those junk tires off and replace with Maxis if there 15 inch or a decent LT tire if there 16 inch.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:08 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo67 View Post
Our 5th wheel is brand new,and a CastleRock tire had a tread seperation.The tread assembly seperated at the sidewall and went across to the other sidewall just peeled it back.Slapping the wheel well flooring before we got stopped.I now have a hole in the flooring.I have talked with Forest River,and Lions Head Company replaced the tire.Now comes the warrenty repair does anyone seen this repair,and does the slide come off.A small hole around 4 inch in length,but lost most of the wood in that area as well.How long would it take.
Record the VIN number and every tire DOT serial number and snap a sharp picture of the certification label on side of the RV. and of the failed tire.
Then file a complaint with NHTSA.

IMO the tires should eb replaced for free and the repair cost should be covered by FR/CastleRock. Tread sep is usually traceable to factory defect issue not road hazard.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:35 AM   #4

I must say to all that Forest River support has been out standing.They replaced the blown tire at the next stop which did not interupt out trip but for a hour. I changed the tire myself. We have sent pictures of the damage to Forest River. Today we have a date for the repair,we cannot travel yet do to a hole in the flooring which if it rains,the damage would be even greater.So Forest River whats it repaired asap.The district rep has been notified along with pictures,and has approved the repair.It will take about 2 weeks,since I believe the slide will have to come off.So the warrenty with Lion Head which makes Castle Rock has step up to there warranty claim.Funny thought the repair center whats to evaluate the damage and submit there own claim,before they start repairs.Oh well 2 weeks is 2 weeks.I am going to ask the shop if they will install as part of the repair a piece of steel up in the wheel well.It is because as much as we would like to replace all 4 Castle Rock ST's we can not afford it at this time.So protection against further damage is needed.I will keep even one posted as how the repair is going and what was involved.Thanks for the input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3652.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	474.3 KB
ID:	117700  
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #5

Had 2 Castle Rocks fail on me during our last trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MarkyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:44 AM   #6

TPMS prevented damage to the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MarkyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:44 PM   #7

I discovered a flat tire when I went to get our Flagstaff from storage for a trip this past Saturday. Tread separation and it had just starting to split apart at the conclusion of our previous trip. It had not yet started to lose pressure or heat up when we parked it as all tires were equal when I shut down the TPMS. I also failed to notice the damage on my post-trip inspection. This was not a Castle Rock, rather a Ridgway Sport ST, but the way they're made in China it could have been the identical manufacturer and plant for both.

My point, as others have made here and elsewhere, is if you can't replace them right now is to start saving to replace those tires before your coach warranty expires. Also save for a TPMS. They will save you money and grief in the long run.

Last Sunday I searched the 'net for the best deal on replacement Maxxis tires. On Monday morning I called several dealers with some simple questions which few could answer (like date of manufacture of tires in stock, etc). Monday afternoon I placed an on-line order with Real Deal Tires of Hickory, NC as they were the least cost and the best customer service experience for me. My tires were delivered to my door in Savannah, GA the very next afternoon (FedEx Ground free shipping)!! Do give Real Deal Tire a look when you decide to buy. I had the tires mounted this morning and we are now much more confident of worry free travel on our next camping trip. It's a good feeling!

It's a bit hard to see in the picture but notice the bulging tread starting to the right of the left shoulder rib and it is starting to split near the top of the tire image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160813_180941_resized.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	117730   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160813_180950_resized.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	117731  
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:50 PM   #8

I also purchased 4 Maxxis M8008 ST Radial
ST225/75R15 10PR tires from
Real Deal Tires - Buy Tires Online - Leading Brands including Maxxis, Michelin, Kumho and BFGoodrich.

Best price, $116 per tire, free shipping, great customer service from Austin Kirby. I asked him for the DOT codes on the tires, before I bought them. He gave me them, they were only 6 months old, I bought them. Couldn't be happier with that company.
menekaunee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:07 PM   #9

Austin was the person I spoke with, also. Good guy.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:23 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandSH View Post
I discovered a flat tire when I went to get our Flagstaff from storage for a trip this past Saturday. Tread separation and it had just starting to split apart at the conclusion of our previous trip. It had not yet started to lose pressure or heat up when we parked it as all tires were equal when I shut down the TPMS. I also failed to notice the damage on my post-trip inspection. This was not a Castle Rock, rather a Ridgway Sport ST, but the way they're made in China it could have been the identical manufacturer and plant for both.

My point, as others have made here and elsewhere, is if you can't replace them right now is to start saving to replace those tires before your coach warranty expires. Also save for a TPMS. They will save you money and grief in the long run.

Last Sunday I searched the 'net for the best deal on replacement Maxxis tires. On Monday morning I called several dealers with some simple questions which few could answer (like date of manufacture of tires in stock, etc). Monday afternoon I placed an on-line order with Real Deal Tires of Hickory, NC as they were the least cost and the best customer service experience for me. My tires were delivered to my door in Savannah, GA the very next afternoon (FedEx Ground free shipping)!! Do give Real Deal Tire a look when you decide to buy. I had the tires mounted this morning and we are now much more confident of worry free travel on our next camping trip. It's a good feeling!

It's a bit hard to see in the picture but notice the bulging tread starting to the right of the left shoulder rib and it is starting to split near the top of the tire image.
Yup that tire has failed with "Tread Sep". That should have been replaced by tire/RV dealer. Did you record the DOT serial? That is needed to file complaint with NHTSA
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 08-20-2016, 03:06 PM   #11

I did not record the s/n. Was so glad to have the Maxxis mounted that I forgot to load the 3 remaining tires in my truck. Had to return to tire shop and retrieve them to sell on craigslist with appropriate warning to any buyer.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:22 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandSH View Post
I did not record the s/n. Was so glad to have the Maxxis mounted that I forgot to load the 3 remaining tires in my truck. Had to return to tire shop and retrieve them to sell on craigslist with appropriate warning to any buyer.
Not surprised. That is the normal reaction of most RV owners who suffer tire failure. That is one reason I strongly suggest people record the DOT serial number of their tires and keep the info written down in safe place. With only a very few ever submitting complaints to NHTSA the result is that NHTSA does not have sufficient numbers to take any action which means the RV community continues to get stuck with the low quality tires rather than there being a few recalls which would wake up the RV tire importers and RV companies.

Maybe you can capture the S/N of the current tires, just in case.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:35 PM   #13

Very good points. This my second event with a tread separation. Happened to me last year on another trailer that I had just replaced tires on. 25 miles of in-town easy driving, no signs of other damage and the intact tread rolled off the two sidewalls. If this sort of stuff happened in the automotive world there would be heck to pay as you say.

Spoken by the not-so-proud owner of a set of OEM equipped Firestone 700 steel belted radials somewhere back before global warming.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:18 PM   #14

Well am we are home now.The repair did not take as long as expected.Since we were on "the road status" the Forest River dealer allowed us to slot right in and start repair that day we pulled in.Ended up only being 2 days after all.Was really impressed with the dealership.We had vacation interuption plan as well,and they paid for up to 3 days of hotel,and meals.We sumitted the receipt's via smart phone,and a check was mailed to the house before we even got home.The dealership installed 4 piece's of 1/4 inch thick aluminum panels as well.There was talk of submitting for a new set of tires to replace these,but was rejected by FR.I ask and they said if it happens again we will repair at no cost again.Repair looks really good looks like brand new.I paid for the panels at a cost of 198.00 for all 4 to be installed.This they say has help because the tread will slap that till I get pulled over.But once it departs it will or could due damage down the line.It did take out one support for the skirt.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:02 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo67 View Post
Well am we are home now.The repair did not take as long as expected.Since we were on "the road status" the Forest River dealer allowed us to slot right in and start repair that day we pulled in.Ended up only being 2 days after all.Was really impressed with the dealership.We had vacation interuption plan as well,and they paid for up to 3 days of hotel,and meals.We sumitted the receipt's via smart phone,and a check was mailed to the house before we even got home.The dealership installed 4 piece's of 1/4 inch thick aluminum panels as well.There was talk of submitting for a new set of tires to replace these,but was rejected by FR.I ask and they said if it happens again we will repair at no cost again.Repair looks really good looks like brand new.I paid for the panels at a cost of 198.00 for all 4 to be installed.This they say has help because the tread will slap that till I get pulled over.But once it departs it will or could due damage down the line.It did take out one support for the skirt.
Glad things sort of worked out. Have you filed complaints on the tire failure (one for each tire) along with the refusal of FR to stand behind their decision of what tires to supply on their products?
No complaint => no investigation=> no recall

IMO FR would not want to replace the tires as then they might actually follow the law and send info to NHTSA. FR knows that with enough complaints on file NHTSA might do a recall and IMO FR is depending on the fact that too few owners file complaints so sub standard components (tires) can still be applied which saves FR some $$.

Be sure to record the full DOT S/N of all your tires Cars, trucks, trailers, motorhomes as too often when there is a failure getting S/N is last thing people think about then later the tire is gone and without a S/N the complaint isn't as meaningful to NHTSA.

Tags
tire, warranty