Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2017, 08:12 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
I believe the L on the label you showed us means your tires are rated for 75 mph. That is an improvement on the old trailer tires that were rated for 65 mph, but there are ST tires available now that are rated higher. Mine are rated for 81 mph.
My LT tires on my truck are rated for 106 mph.

If your old tires don't show a speed rating, it means they were rated for 65 mph. If so, you were exceeding their rating at 68. I've found on a hot day, they blow up at any speed.

X2 on upgrading weight rating. Most trailer tires barely handle the empty trailer.

If we stop buying tires with low speed ratings, we'll get better tires eventually.
Even with G rated tires that have a maximum speed of 75 I would pull at 62. At 65 I get 8.8 MPG, at 62 it climbs to 9.6. That is a 10% increase in mileage for only a 5% lower speed. Significant if on a long trip. It is less stressful, actually relaxing to let everyone else on the highway pass me and just relaxed and not worrying about slowing down, avoiding other vehicles, etc.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA111 View Post
So I ended up going to the sailun S637 14 ply tires. It is SHOCKING at the weight difference between the tires. The castle bomb is half the weight of the sailun tire.

Are your rims rated for 110 lbs?
2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 CCLB DRW Cummins HO 4:10s
2018 Heartland Big Country 3950FB
Dan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:59 AM   #23

FWIW(for what it's worth) Discount Tire direct has $100 + $60 if you use their C/C on the Edurance tires.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
FWIW(for what it's worth) Discount Tire direct has $100 + $60 if you use their C/C on the Edurance tires.
Looks like rebate applies to several brands.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/promotions/labor-day
gpaw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:49 PM   #25

At the end of the time that we had a 5th wheel, we would have lots of blown tires. Before a trip, I would make sure every tire was perfect. We drove from Orlando to Tampa and had a blowout. Only 80 miles. We took it to a Firestone dealer and found out the tires were recalled. The dealer explained what was causing it.

Here is the issue. This probably will include all of you that pull 5th wheels.

We would drive all day then back into our driveway and park the 5th wheel until the next trip.

What happens is the tires are hot from freeway driving. When you get home, you pull forward then start backing the RV down the driveway. This twists the tire. The tread is planted on the pavement and the trailer is twisting until the tire starts to move backward. The twisting of the hot tire causes the tread to separate from the tire, but it doesn't show up until your next trip.

Same thing backing into a campground spot.

The next time out on a freeway and the damaged tire just comes apart.

No longer pulling. We now have a 2015 Dynamax REV.

Tom D Orlando
Tom-n-Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:03 PM   #26

Isn't the tow vehicle backing up too? Why don't those tires blow. Trailer tires may have more side load but have to throw a BS flag on your dealer.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:29 PM   #27

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I don't think there's any reason to call "BS". I think the facts/particulars are simply clouded in the translation/wording.

I find the dealers mention of the additional heat during the post trip tire "twisting" (aka tire scrubbing) to be an interesting point and can easily see that being an additional contributing factor to tread separation. Excluding vehicles with multiple rear axles, tow vehicles see NONE of this load.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:03 PM   #28

Just an excuse to try to cover for failure. What he is saying, is the tires are not designed or constructed for its normal use. Backing up is normal use. Should come with a label that backing should not be done when tires are hot. If that is the cause of the failure the manufacturer should design and sell a tire suitable for the conditions in which it will be used.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:44 PM   #29

Castle Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by micsol84 View Post
Wow I feel lucky that my castle rock tires made my recent 5000 mile trip trouble free
We are on our way home from a 3500 mile trip on our "Bombs". I checked them before we left and had the right pressure and no visible issues. At 1000 miles I lifted the axles and checked bearings, brakes and tires. No issues and began to feel more secure from all of the scare stories I've read about the, "china bombs". I jumped a curb this morning turning and rode the rest of the day to where we are camped now, 7hrs. 30min. over less than ideal roads at speeds of 66 to 69 mph. We'll get home tomorrow and in 2 weeks travel again on those same tires. Maybe something will happen to those tires but I'll wager nothing will. I will run them until the year warranty is up. And if they still look good, keep on until the tread wears thin. If FR was putting inferior tires on their trailers then they would be in hot water. I think if people used good judgment this wouldn't be such a hot topic.
Retiredtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:01 PM   #30

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredtwo View Post
We are on our way home from a 3500 mile trip on our "Bombs". I checked them before we left and had the right pressure and no visible issues. At 1000 miles I lifted the axles and checked bearings, brakes and tires. No issues and began to feel more secure from all of the scare stories I've read about the, "china bombs". I jumped a curb this morning turning and rode the rest of the day to where we are camped now, 7hrs. 30min. over less than ideal roads at speeds of 66 to 69 mph. We'll get home tomorrow and in 2 weeks travel again on those same tires. Maybe something will happen to those tires but I'll wager nothing will. I will run them until the year warranty is up. And if they still look good, keep on until the tread wears thin. If FR was putting inferior tires on their trailers then they would be in hot water. I think if people used good judgment this wouldn't be such a hot topic.
There are bombs that stand a lesser chance blowing and there are those like TowMax ~ NUKES!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:05 PM   #31

Quote:

Normally I would agree, but out of the 4 people on this forum that bought the same exact camper as me, at the exact same time roughly, April -end of May. 2 of them have had castle rocks go [emoji95]. That was enough incentive for me.
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:06 PM   #32

Quote:

I hear your point but I am a tire freak, before, during and after my trips. Pressure is always checked, temp is always checked at every stop, tires are stored with covers on them.
I also read several threads about this issue and kinda shrugged it off as a lot of people do. But last friday just a few miles into my trip BOOM! Plus it tore off some fender skirting. The trailer is new, the tires are new and I don't wanna deal with these issues especially when it comes to the safety of my family. I had no option but to change this tire on the side of the freeway with big rigs whooshing by. Meanwhile I have my wife, my 2yo and two 11 yo in the truck. So that was my "FU#% THIS" Moment. Went the next morning to Les Schwab tires and changed them all out.
It's not about the money to me, I own a 2017 Ram diesel and a 2017 37 ft fifth wheel because I want to have fun with my family and to Not have craptastic BS issues like this. The Castle Rocks are crap and unreliable as far as I am concerned. If they are working for you than SWEET!! I hope you continue with your good trips on them.
What really sold me was when the tire guy laid my castle rock tire on the side and the Sailun tire on the side next to each other and he told me to step on the sidewall. Then pick each one up and feel the weight difference. Wow!! One feels like a heavy duty tire and the other feels like limp piece of rubber. I literally said" Are you kidding me? This crappy tire is all that is keeping my entire rig on the road? Switch them out!" And it was a done deal.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH (sold)
DNA111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:21 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamper00 View Post
Just replaced the Castle Rock tires with Maxxis 8008's also...only had about 1000 miles on the Castle Rocks but didn't want to chance it...
And if they were ST235/80R16E I bet you gave up 100# of load capacity per tire doing so.

Sorry, just a little food for thought.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:44 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA111 View Post
I hear your point but I am a tire freak, before, during and after my trips. Pressure is always checked, temp is always checked at every stop, tires are stored with covers on them.
I also read several threads about this issue and kinda shrugged it off as a lot of people do. .
X2
When I got my trailer an experienced friend said to get a TPMS. Thought they were a little pricey and how bad could the tires be. Did all the above and stopped to check them at a rest stop about 150 miles into a trip. Blew out 20 miles later. Never felt it. Thought what I heard was some clothes hangers in the back seat. A good guy waved me down. Got better tires, load range E, and a TPMS. Have a friend who has traveled about 5,000 miles on his from the factory tires and no problems.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:57 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
And if they were ST235/80R16E I bet you gave up 100# of load capacity per tire doing so.

Sorry, just a little food for thought.
Not sure of the Castle Rocks weight rating. The 235/80/R16 Sailun is rated at 4080 at 110 psi. The 235/85/R16 is rated at 4400 at 110 psi.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Not sure of the Castle Rocks weight rating. The 235/80/R16 Sailun is rated at 4080 at 110 psi. The 235/85/R16 is rated at 4400 at 110 psi.

Castle rock
235/80/16
3520@ 80 psi
Old 08-28-2017, 08:13 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-n-Dale View Post
At the end of the time that we had a 5th wheel, we would have lots of blown tires. Before a trip, I would make sure every tire was perfect. We drove from Orlando to Tampa and had a blowout. Only 80 miles. We took it to a Firestone dealer and found out the tires were recalled. The dealer explained what was causing it.

Here is the issue. This probably will include all of you that pull 5th wheels.

We would drive all day then back into our driveway and park the 5th wheel until the next trip.

What happens is the tires are hot from freeway driving. When you get home, you pull forward then start backing the RV down the driveway. This twists the tire. The tread is planted on the pavement and the trailer is twisting until the tire starts to move backward. The twisting of the hot tire causes the tread to separate from the tire, but it doesn't show up until your next trip.

Same thing backing into a campground spot.

The next time out on a freeway and the damaged tire just comes apart.

No longer pulling. We now have a 2015 Dynamax REV.

Tom D Orlando
I can actually believe that and it makes all the sense in the world.

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:18 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stank Bait View Post
X2
When I got my trailer an experienced friend said to get a TPMS. Thought they were a little pricey and how bad could the tires be. Did all the above and stopped to check them at a rest stop about 150 miles into a trip. Blew out 20 miles later. Never felt it. Thought what I heard was some clothes hangers in the back seat. A good guy waved me down. Got better tires, load range E, and a TPMS. Have a friend who has traveled about 5,000 miles on his from the factory tires and no problems.

Did you check them with a tire gauge?
FWIW(for what it's worth) Tireman9 said there is a chance when checking the core doesn't seat/seal causing an air leak....I checked them and X miles later had a tire failure.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:23 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Did you check them with a tire gauge?
FWIW(for what it's worth) Tireman9 said there is a chance when checking the core doesn't seat/seal causing an air leak....I checked them and X miles later had a tire failure.

In my case yes, they were checked with a hand gauge not more than an hour before it happened.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:54 PM   #40

I checked mine in the morning before I started. Used a heat sensor (infrared) to check them at rest stop. All were cool. Not a hot day. When it happens it happens quickly.