Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2016, 08:53 AM   #1

Cleaned up The Gifts Left by FS

I spent yesterday afternoon cleaning out all of the sawdust and construction debris from the areas behind the inspection panels, (under the water heater, under the bathtub and the area containing the water pump and converter). I must say that I was a little amazed at what I found. It is obvious that the workers do not take any time to clean up in the least. If they drilled a cutout, the plug was just left there. When the cut out was made for under the bathtub, the piece that was cut out was just left where it fell. And, there were mounds of sawdust everywhere. I guess none of that is really a big deal, but it just says, “I don’t care”. By leaving things that way, it seems to say the trailers are built as fast as possible and shipped out the door. I would think it would not cost an extra $25 per unit to do some minimal cleanup and I think the statement it would make not to find the cutouts just laying around would be well worth the $25. I know there is not a lot of margin, but does a company really want this as a reputation?
Anyway, I am not gripping too much, because it did help me get to know my trailer just a little better, (could be I found out a few things I wish I had not known). I am sure I not alone in finding all the “gifts” that FS left for me. I am also sure I will be finding sawdust for a few more months to come. The good news is my trailer is now a little lighter than it was and I have a few more pounds for cargo.
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:01 AM   #2

Sometimes the dealer will clean up that stuff. My dealer got most of mine. Still had a a fair amount of sawdust and a few screws.

Enjoy your new camper!
Old 03-14-2016, 09:12 AM   #3

I de-winterized mine yesterday. I have to say that I was impressed with the new years crop of sawdust that I found everywhere.

I cleaned the TT good last year and was satisfied that I got it all. Holy cow, I just kept staring at the floor wondering where it came from. I guess the FR fairy must have stopped by over the winter and sprinkled my TT.

I think I will start collecting it and put it towards my next upgrade.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:13 AM   #4

I think all of us have found "gifts and presents" left for us by the kind hearted employees. Just part of the "experience".
They left me a lot of nice presents...
Of course the round wood cutout plugs,
Nice colored pieces of wire, assorted gauges.
A nice assortment of various screws and staples.
And of course the sawdust and bits of styrofoam.
All in all a nice little assortment...and after 2 years I'm still finding little "gifts"
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:22 AM   #5

I don't mind the "Gifts" of saw dust, wire nuts, insulation, and screws. What ticks me off is the prompts to learn DIY lessons, like tighten plumbing fittings, find the short in the wire, why don't I have d/c power circuit breakers and why don't import ST (specialty trailer) tires have to meet the same specs as car and LT tires.

Of course then there is that detailed owners manual that covers manufacture liability and not much more.

It's all part of the world of RVing, the RV lifestyle, and the RV experience.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
I don't mind the "Gifts" of saw dust, wire nuts, insulation, and screws. What ticks me off is the prompts to learn DIY lessons, like tighten plumbing fittings, find the short in the wire, why don't I have d/c power circuit breakers and why don't import ST (specialty trailer) tires have to meet the same specs as car and LT tires.

Of course then there is that detailed owners manual that covers manufacture liability and not much more.

It's all part of the world of RVing, the RV lifestyle, and the RV experience.
Finding loose plumbing fittings, unconnected wireing/shorts, ect, falls under the heading of "suprise suprise suprise", not "gifts".
"Gifts" fall under the "happy to leave it for you".
"Suprises" fall under the "Gotcha" heading.
Grumpy
Old 03-14-2016, 09:34 AM   #7

I don't mind the gifts. I can't find the color and style screw they use locally, so I appreciate them leaving some extras around for me. As far as all the sawdust goes- I'm gonna go through my new camper and clean everything and check everything out anyway, so I'm glad I saved the $25.
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I don't mind the gifts. I can't find the color and style screw they use locally, so I appreciate them leaving some extras around for me. As far as all the sawdust goes- I'm gonna go through my new camper and clean everything and check everything out anyway, so I'm glad I saved the $25.
Problem with that line of thought is the stuff actually comes back. It's like dust bunnies...you clean em up, but they come back.
Clean up now, go on a trip, and I guarantee not only will you find it's come back
but there's more of it. Like rabbits, it multiplies!!!
Grumpy
Old 03-14-2016, 09:43 AM   #9
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
But the factory was think'n about us.....free fire starter....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:07 AM   #10

1 year after purchase, still need to vacuum after a couple hundred miles! Keeps coming out of wall/floor joints.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:39 AM   #11

I wonder if the HIGH end TT's like AirStream have the same issues?
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:49 AM   #12

I vacuumed the construction debris and yes, it would be good of them to require their workers to clean up after themselves. (I'm surprised we don't find leftovers from their lunch breaks) But what I would REALLY expect them to do is to test their plumbing systems for water tightness. We are on our maiden voyage in our Rockwood Mini Lite 2304 KS and experienced a minor flood because the hot water line to the bathroom faucet was not tightened. and water pooling between the shower stall and the door because of insufficient caulking.
Everyone knows how serious water damage can be. I want to know where the is the quality control ????????
Thank God I have the mechanical skills to fix these major annoyances on the fly. I really pity the poor trailer owners who do not poses the D I Y mechanical aptitude. Because we all know how quick and responsive many of the dealerships ( camping world for example) are !
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #13

Gifts

I think most of them do that...its up to the dealers to clean up. What drives me crazy are the styrofoam beads that are constantly falling out of the AC ductwork and into light fixtures on my 21DS. Randy
randman132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #14

I love the little aluminum curlicues that keep showing up in my carpet. I wonder why they couldn't have done their drilling before they put the carpet in. The problem is travel trailers are like cars in the 70's. They were pretty poor quality until the Japanese imports had higher quality and started cutting in US manufacturers sales.
fander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #15

My dealer cleaned everything on our 2016 Rockwood 8329SS. I am completely satisfied so far.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I vacuumed the construction debris and yes, it would be good of them to require their workers to clean up after themselves. (I'm surprised we don't find leftovers from their lunch breaks) But what I would REALLY expect them to do is to test their plumbing systems for water tightness. We are on our maiden voyage in our Rockwood Mini Lite 2304 KS and experienced a minor flood because the hot water line to the bathroom faucet was not tightened. and water pooling between the shower stall and the door because of insufficient caulking.
Everyone knows how serious water damage can be. I want to know where the *%#* is the ?*& #$%& quality control ????????
Thank God I have the mechanical skills to fix these major annoyances on the fly. I really pity the poor trailer owners who do not poses the D I Y mechanical aptitude. Because we all know how quick and responsive many of the dealerships ( camping world for example) are !
A lady my wife works with... she is about 60 YO and a pharmacist ..decided to buy a small TT.. I think 24 ft to park at a local RV park to live in. She is going to retire in a couple years and move back home. She didn't know what a TT was.. I don't think until she bought hers. I wonder how she even made it. No truck. No experience. Nothing. I guess the Lord takes care of innocent people. It has been about a year and I guess she is ok. I offered a little help, but she never has needed any.
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPP View Post
I wonder if the HIGH end TT's like AirStream have the same issues?
Seriously doubt it. But, thats why you pay 40 thousand plus for a 20 foot Airstream instead of 15 grand for a FR.
Grumpy
Old 03-14-2016, 12:22 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Not only did I have the new trailer mess but the mess from 2 factory return trips. The benefit... Second return trip we found a set of pliers left in the fiver. Thanks for the gift FR.

Honestly, my crossroads TT was full of sawdust too.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjohn View Post
My dealer cleaned everything on our 2016 Rockwood 8329SS. I am completely satisfied so far.
Do the readers a favor and name the good dealers so we know more than just the complaints and bad experiences.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #20

You do know that the sawdust is installed by the factory as crack insulation. Don't come back and complain about drafts in your RV.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote