Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #1

Converter, GFI, A/C? Clueless

Hello again,
I have a 2013 Grand Lodge 408 reds.
The electricity on the kitchen side of the trailer is out. The GFI outlet in the restroom is out but the light switch above that outlet is working. That same GFI outlet is the only one that has the test/reset thing.. Neither the reset button or the test button will (click) (engage?).
The two GFI outlets in the kitchen do not work. The microwave, stove and fridge do not work.
The fridge is a standard one so I just plugged that in somewhere else (for now).
The A/C is not working (South Texas and I have 3 kids in this thang). (one wife ).
I pulled some fuses to see if any looked different and I noticed that a red light to the right of the fuse would come on after I pulled the fuse out. On some of the fuses the red light did not come on when I pulled the fuse out.
The top lights work in the kitchen area and the fluorescent light works above the sink.
The hot water heater is not working ( no problem, South Texas).
All the outlets on the left side (while facing the fireplace) work.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance, y'all
kdc1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #2

For 120v problems you need to be looking at breakers instead of fuses. (Fuses are for 12v stuff.)

If you've reset all the breakers and still have a problem: Is this a 50-amp RV, or 30-amp? If 50, one side of the 50-amp service may be bad at the pedestal.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdc1899 View Post
Hello again,
I have a 2013 Grand Lodge 408 reds.
The electricity on the kitchen side of the trailer is out. The GFI outlet in the restroom is out but the light switch above that outlet is working. That same GFI outlet is the only one that has the test/reset thing.. Neither the reset button or the test button will (click) (engage?).
The two GFI outlets in the kitchen do not work. The microwave, stove and fridge do not work.
The fridge is a standard one so I just plugged that in somewhere else (for now).
The A/C is not working (South Texas and I have 3 kids in this thang). (one wife ).
I pulled some fuses to see if any looked different and I noticed that a red light to the right of the fuse would come on after I pulled the fuse out. On some of the fuses the red light did not come on when I pulled the fuse out.
The top lights work in the kitchen area and the fluorescent light works above the sink.
The hot water heater is not working ( no problem, South Texas).
All the outlets on the left side (while facing the fireplace) work.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance, y'all
Gotta believe that is 50 amp service to your rig. If so sounds like one of two 50 amp circuit breakers is open. Sometimes you must toggle the CB handles to open then close to clear a trip. Half the circuits are fed by each circuit breaker.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
For 120v problems you need to be looking at breakers instead of fuses. (Fuses are for 12v stuff.)

If you've reset all the breakers and still have a problem: Is this a 50-amp RV, or 30-amp? If 50, one side of the 50-amp service may be bad at the pedestal.
Thanks.
Its a 50 amp. Someone said the A/C, hot water heater, etc are 12V. ??
I did all the breaker stuff and the main box outside also.
Happy to still be able to use a fan though.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #5

The things you mentioned usually need 12v as well as 120v, but you said outlets didn't work. That's all 120. It would be good if you have a meter or circuit tester. If you don't, I suggest you contact the maintenance people at your campground to have them check the power at the pedestal.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Gotta believe that is 50 amp service to your rig. If so sounds like one of two 50 amp circuit breakers is open. Sometimes you must toggle the CB handles to open then close to clear a trip. Half the circuits are fed by each circuit breaker.
Hello. Thank you.

The only 50 amp breaker I see is the Main breaker. There are two switches but they are combined into one switch.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
Site Team

I agree with Barry and think you may have problems at the pedestal with the 120/240 volt split phase service.

In real simple terms, with a 50 amp RV, you are being supplied with 50 amps on one 120 volt leg and another 50 amps on a second 120 volt leg.....which give you a total of 100 amps.

Your RV is set up where certain things in it will be powered by one leg, and other stuff will be powered by the second leg.

I think your problem is either in the campground pedestal or your RV power cord.

It sure sounds (and is common) that one leg is not working....and thus you are only getting power from one leg, and not the other one.

That 50 amp double pole (tied together) breaker you see in your breaker box actually controls both 50 amp legs. If one 50 amp side trips, it trips the other 50 amp side too.

I believe your problem is going to be either in the campground pedestal or your power cord.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I agree with Barry and think you may have problems at the pedestal with the 120/240 volt split phase service.

In real simple terms, with a 50 amp RV, you are being supplied with 50 amps on one 120 volt leg and another 50 amps on a second 120 volt leg.....which give you a total of 100 amps.

Your RV is set up where certain things in it will be powered by one leg, and other stuff will be powered by the second leg.

It sure sounds (and is common) that one leg is not working....and thus you are only getting power from one leg, and not the other one.

That 50 amp double pole (tied together) breaker you see in your breaker box actually controls both 50 amp legs. If one 50 amp side trips, it trips the other 50 amp side too.
Thanks,
um.. What is a pedestal and where is it?
I have a guy coming tomorrow but just so I can be informed and taken less advantage of by the tech, how would ya go about fixin the bad leg?
I guess the 50 amp breaker is on cause the rest of the trailer has electric.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
Site Team

This link may also help explain how the 50 amp RV service works, as well as in your troubleshooting for the problem:

RVcruzer.com Electrical Tutorial - Chapter 3 - 30 Amp versus 50 Amp

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks,
um.. What is a pedestal and where is it?
I have a guy coming tomorrow but just so I can be informed and taken less advantage of by the tech, how would ya go about fixin the bad leg?
I guess the 50 amp breaker is on cause the rest of the trailer has electric.
The pedestal is what we are thinking you are plugged into at the campground. I just assumed you are at a campground. Exactly where are you, and what are you getting electricity from? I didn't even think to ask if it was a generator.

All the terminology we are using is explained in the link I provided in the previous post too.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #11

Quote:
The pedestal is what we are thinking you are plugged into at the campground. I just assumed you are at a campground. Exactly where are you, and what are you getting electricity from? I didn't even think to ask if it was a generator.
My company has it's own rv park. The 50 amp plug that plugs into the pedestal is a 90 degree type. The bottom part of the plug does not fit quite square on the pedestal. I think the pedestal is set up to receive a 180 degree plug. The guy at the rv parts store said that the 1/4 - 1/2 inch space at the bottom part of the plug (where the plug juts down too long to fit square with the framework of the section of the pedestal where the plugs go) is not a problem. I can't seem to find an adapter.
The pedestal has a 50 amp, 30 amp and a regular plug
Old 09-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #12
Denver, CO

this is a PARK MODEL. does it even have a battery? The ones I have seen are very different than an RV but I don't know about the FR ones.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
My company has it's own rv park. The 50 amp plug that plugs into the pedestal is a 90 degree type. The bottom part of the plug does not fit quite square on the pedestal. I think the pedestal is set up to receive a 180 degree plug. The guy at the rv parts store said that the 1/4 - 1/2 inch space at the bottom part of the plug (where the plug juts down too long to fit square with the framework of the section of the pedestal where the plugs go) is not a problem. I can't seem to find an adapter.
The pedestal has a 50 amp, 30 amp and a regular plug
I'm not really following you here. Maybe somebody else can assist. Is there any way possible to take a pic of where/what you are plugged into?

Even though I am not following, just from your analogy of stuff not fitting correct, this is probably where the problem is. I am trying to figure out if it's the receptacle in the pedestal or your plug on your power cord that is not fitting correct.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #14

It is a destination trailer with 50 amp service
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #15
Site Team

Does the park pedestal have it's own breakers in it, that you must flip to turn on the circuits?

And just to make absolute sure, your RV's power cord does have four prongs on it?

Is the RV's power cord attached to the trailer permanently or do you have to twist lock it in place to a receptacle on the outside of the trailer?

Old 09-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #16

Quote:
I'm not really following you here. Maybe somebody else can assist. Is there any way possible to take a pic of where/what you are plugged into?

Even though I am not following, just from your analogy of stuff not fitting correct, this is probably where the problem is. I am trying to figure out if it's the receptacle in the pedestal or your plug on your power cord that is not fitting correct.
Sorry.
Think of an extension cord or any plug that doesn't have any kind of assembly that would look like an L ( like a cell phone charger plug or any plug that has a reset on its assembly). My 50 amp plug has that 90 degree L type of assembly where the plug goes into the pedestal. The section of the pedestal where the plugs go is deeper than the rest of the frame work of the pedestal. The ...........
Let me just add pictures from the net (too dark outside right now).

you see the plug going into the box has a 90 degree thing going on with it. My plug is even longer going down to the cord and hangs out about a 1/4 inch. The photo on top is exactly what my box looks like,
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Does the park pedestal have it's own breakers in it, that you must flip to turn on the circuits?

And just to make absolute sure, your RV's power cord does have four prongs on it?

Is the RV's power cord attached to the trailer permanently or do you have to twist lock it in place to a receptacle on the outside of the trailer?
Thanks

I have to twist lock the part of the cord (180 degree type) that I place in the receptacle on the outside of the trailer

The pedestal looks just like this..
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #18

Do you have a dogbone 30-50 amp adapter you could try?
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:19 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Sorry.
Think of an extension cord or any plug that doesn't have any kind of assembly that would look like an L ( like a cell phone charger plug or any plug that has a reset on its assembly). My 50 amp plug has that 90 degree L type of assembly where the plug goes into the pedestal. The section of the pedestal where the plugs go is deeper than the rest of the frame work of the pedestal. The ...........
Let me just add pictures from the net (too dark outside right now).

you see the plug going into the box has a 90 degree thing going on with it. My plug is even longer going down to the cord and hangs out about a 1/4 inch. The photo on top is exactly what my box looks like,
I think I understand what you are saying now. I believe you are saying the pedestal housing has a lip that sticks out at the bottom (thus the outlets and pedestal facing are more recessed). The metal lip that sticks out is preventing your electrical cord from being able to fully push into the 50 amp outlet, due to the the size of your cords plug housing.....which extends down past the lip. Correct?

I modified this pic to kind of show what I am thinking. I colored in yellow, basically the extended size of your cords plug, that is hanging down past the pedestal box lip.

If this is the case (as I think it is), it's not a good thing. Depending on how recessed the pedestal outlet/face is (and how much the lip is preventing your cords prongs from fully engaging....this can be a problem that can lead to electrical arcing. The way your cords plug is being tilted, the neutral (very bottom spade) is going to be the one the most prevented from engaging...followed by the two hot lines. There is even a possibility (here again, depends on how much angle we are talking about) that one of the hot lines is not engaged enough to properly work.

Usually the pedestals and/or cords are designed in a way that this doesn't happen.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2013, 04:46 AM   #20
Site Team

I'm playing around with your pic at 4 AM in the morning and hopefully didn't make too many mistakes. If I did, someone else will be able to help. I'm just trying to put it in very extremely basic terms so you can understand what/where your problem can be.

You may read different terminology, but usually most people in the forums mean hot, line, leg, or load to be the same thing.

Following the color key of:

Black= L1 (or a 120 volt hot line/leg/load)
Red= L2 (or a second 120 volt hot line/leg/load)
White= Neutral
Green= Ground

If you look at the breakers in your pedestal, you will notice a 50 amp double breaker, a 30 amp single breaker, and a 15/20 amp single breaker. Each one of the breakers controls the circuit to the outlet I have the arrows pointing to.

The 50 amp is a double type breaker that is connected together. If one side (either L1 or L2) trips, then it shuts off power to both sides at the same time.

On the 50 amp outlet you have a L1 that is providing 50 amps of 120 volt power to your RV. You also have a L2 that is providing another 50 amps of 120 volt power to your RV.

If one of these breakers that controls either the L1 or L2 sides is bad, then you won't be getting power from it to your RV. It's also possible that something is burned out or loose within the pedestal box that isn't allowing either the L1 or L2 to work correctly................which is the symptoms you are experiencing. From what you describe, you are only getting half power and one of the legs/load/line isn't working correct somewhere.

Not only can you be having a problem at the pedestal, but it can also be your cord. If something has broke or burned out in the cord, you are only receiving either power from the L1 or L2 sides, instead of both.

You say you have an electrician coming tomorrow. I think he should be able to found out what is wrong. It could be in the pedestal (very common and includes the 50 amp outlet itself)), the power cord, or your breaker box inside your RV.

It could also be as simple as not making enough contact with the prongs due to the lip on the pedestal preventing it........or maybe something has arced/burned due to this.
Attached Images

Tags
converter