Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2017, 10:44 PM   #1

Crappy travel trailer

Im sure there is probably a thread here already about this.. just unlucky in trying to find... however, anyone else with a forest river wildwood..or forest river in general experience A LOT of issues? We purchasd a 2017 travel trailer august 2016.. first time we took it out, we discovered leaks.. contacted the dealer right away.. then we found more leaks. We had leaks coming from city water hook up when it wasnt even hooked up.. water coming from under bunkhouse which was leaking from the water storage all over electrical wires.. and damaging wood.. water from under the sink.. we dropped it off to be repaired, and that was a whole other negative experience.. (but thats just another story about crappy service at dealer) Anyways..Leaks supposedly repaired, take trailer back out, and under the sink still leaks (finally repaired 3rd time in for service) and now streams of water coming from toilet..(husband fixed) its just easier.. said it was cross threaded and no teflon tape or something.. (he knows his stuff, I don't) our walls from day one are tearing at the caulking..well never met the caulking.. i could go on.. oh and the fridge didnt work either...yes, I have TONS of pictures and emails!! i feel the craftsmanship of this trailer is such crap! 40 days left on warranty..freakin out based on the amount of issues since day one... anyone else? Anyone ever get anywhere dealing w forest river?
Squamloon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squamloon7 View Post
Im sure there is probably a thread here already about this.. just unlucky in trying to find... however, anyone else with a forest river wildwood..or forest river in general experience A LOT of issues? We purchasd a 2017 travel trailer august 2016.. first time we took it out, we discovered leaks.. contacted the dealer right away.. then we found more leaks. We had leaks coming from city water hook up when it wasnt even hooked up.. water coming from under bunkhouse which was leaking from the water storage all over electrical wires.. and damaging wood.. water from under the sink.. we dropped it off to be repaired, and that was a whole other negative experience.. (but thats just another story about crappy service at dealer) Anyways..Leaks supposedly repaired, take trailer back out, and under the sink still leaks (finally repaired 3rd time in for service) and not
W streams of water coming from toilet..(husband fixed) its just easier.. said it was cross threaded and no teflon tape or something.. (he knows his stuff, I don't) our walls from day one are tearing at the caulking..well never met the caulking.. i could go on.. oh and the fridge didnt work either...yes, I have TONS of pictures and emails!! i feel the craftsmanship of this trailer is such crap! 40 days left on warranty..freakin out based on the amount of issues since day one... anyone else? Anyone ever get anywhere dealing w forest river?
We didn't have any issues with our Rockwood. Did you have them hook up water and electricity and run through everything before you took it? (My dealer scheduled 90 minutes to do just that and they even went through how to do everything.)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:04 PM   #3

They did spend time showing us the trailer, how to use things, etc.. but no water was put into it or hooked up to it during this time.. and the fridge was turned on for all of 3 seconds... we usually have everything in coolers.. never used fridge til recently when we were somewhere w hookups.. after an hr the freezer part got "cool" and fridge never got cold.. then i noticed icing on cookies melting.. the top of counter was extremely hot and the area of trailer where back of fridge is was challenging to even touch.. not safe..
Old 07-06-2017, 07:04 AM   #4

I bought a 2008, one owner Wildwood Sport Toyhauler. Sent an email to the manufacturer two months ago with a few questions. Never got a response. Apparently, once a unit is in our hands, it's out of their hands and minds. Poor customer service.
My previous unit was made by Newmar. Great customer service!! Even though my unit was 26 years old, they accurately answered all of my questions about the unit. A difference in company philosophy, I suppose.
otrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:21 AM   #5

2018 Cherokee 304 picked it up in april...got about 8 days of use and it will probably in shop for rest of summer. Lost 90% of my electrical system and can't locate problem. Dealer can't say how long they'll have it. I'm figuring the rest of the summer or into fall. Biggest POS I've ever purchased. We're considering just to take our loss and trade for 5er of a different brand and better quality. Campers belong at campgrounds, not at repair shops.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:41 AM   #6

If you read up you will find about 50% of owners get some resolve with FR. My two emails to warranty reps were never answered. I knew my Wildwood was low on the food chain but it has been a bigger turd than expected.
Materials/finishes as expected in price range, incredibly poor construction and assembly at any price.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:52 AM   #7
I Break Everything

My dealings with repairs they are about like yours. Seems a lot a repairman aren't to blame due to the fact they're inept to begin with.

I'm not sure anyone has to acquire any kind of certification to work on an RV, dealer or not. If they do, the test may be in crayon. We had a Keystone Cougar for about 10 years, it was a 5th wheel. We went all the way to Keystone with no satisfaction, until we go some legal representation. Month after month in the shop, excuse after excuse.

One of the times picking it up after some A/C work, I walked in and the A/C inside panel was on the floor and there was water leak through the roof where the crank up antenna was mounted. This was after two months of work. I was with the service manager at this point and "I lost it." I kept it as civil as possible, there was some attention drawn to the situation from possible new customers on the lot.

This post may get removed because I'm going to mention how you should "lawyer up." I'm not throwing that term around haphazardly, I don't think lawyers should be called at the drop of a dime. On the other hand, if you've invested tens of thousands of dollars on something and you still have to pay for it after the warranty is up, it's a good idea to get some legal advice in a situation like yours.

Let me tell you this...you dealer's attitude changes once you have verified legal representation. It's almost like you get treated like you're supposed to be treated. Not all cases are like this though, we currently have Georgetown Forrest River, it's had some minor issues and they were resolved without issue. Good Luck.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
We didn't have any issues with our Rockwood. Did you have them hook up water and electricity and run through everything before you took it? (My dealer scheduled 90 minutes to do just that and they even went through how to do everything.)
We had a walk through, power was hooked up, city water and pump as well.
phillip252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip252 View Post
We had a walk through, power was hooked up, city water and pump as well.
And, that is the way it should have been. Not "thanks for your money, now get lost".
Old 07-08-2017, 07:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by otrtrucker View Post
And, that is the way it should have been. Not "thanks for your money, now get lost".
We have had great customer service as well. Salesman gave us his cell number, and he has checked with us on regular basis after our purchase. I can't stand sorry customer service, I would pay more if I'm taken care off, but good service should be number one.
phillip252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:54 PM   #11

My issue is more with the numerous issues with what was a brand new trailer(well 11 months old now) and the amount of Problems that still arise w it... not so much the customer service of my dealer..besides forest river points to contacting the dealer while the dealer points to contacting forest river to get my questions answered.. this is more about the poor manufacturing of the trailer..oh and turns out my fridge problem is not a fridge problem after all, but a heat buildup within trailer.. now a baffle needs to be installed.. well why wasnt this installed from the start? And even if we had a better intro to trailer w water run through it.. i doubt we would have thought to lift the bottom bunk to check for leaks.. we only discovered since it seaped out from under and ran down into the main area of trailer.. my biggest concern is in 30 days when my warranty is up.. ive got water stained wood, and who knows what problem will be discovered next...
Old 07-09-2017, 05:20 AM   #12

Quote:
My issue is more with the numerous issues with what was a brand new trailer(well 11 months old now) and the amount of Problems that still arise w it... not so much the customer service of my dealer..besides forest river points to contacting the dealer while the dealer points to contacting forest river to get my questions answered.. this is more about the poor manufacturing of the trailer..oh and turns out my fridge problem is not a fridge problem after all, but a heat buildup within trailer.. now a baffle needs to be installed.. well why wasnt this installed from the start? And even if we had a better intro to trailer w water run through it.. i doubt we would have thought to lift the bottom bunk to check for leaks.. we only discovered since it seaped out from under and ran down into the main area of trailer.. my biggest concern is in 30 days when my warranty is up.. ive got water stained wood, and who knows what problem will be discovered next...
If neither the dealer, nor the manufacturer will resolve your issues, contact Good Sam. They have great success at getting these people's attention to fix stuff. When it comes down to it, the manufacturers don't want the negative press from unsatisfied customers.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Im sure there is probably a thread here already about this.. just unlucky in trying to find... however, anyone else with a forest river wildwood..or forest river in general experience A LOT of issues? We purchasd a 2017 travel trailer august 2016.. first time we took it out, we discovered leaks.. contacted the dealer right away.. then we found more leaks. We had leaks coming from city water hook up when it wasnt even hooked up.. water coming from under bunkhouse which was leaking from the water storage all over electrical wires.. and damaging wood.. water from under the sink.. we dropped it off to be repaired, and that was a whole other negative experience.. (but thats just another story about crappy service at dealer) Anyways..Leaks supposedly repaired, take trailer back out, and under the sink still leaks (finally repaired 3rd time in for service) and now streams of water coming from toilet..(husband fixed) its just easier.. said it was cross threaded and no teflon tape or something.. (he knows his stuff, I don't) our walls from day one are tearing at the caulking..well never met the caulking.. i could go on.. oh and the fridge didnt work either...yes, I have TONS of pictures and emails!! i feel the craftsmanship of this trailer is such crap! 40 days left on warranty..freakin out based on the amount of issues since day one... anyone else? Anyone ever get anywhere dealing w forest river?

My wife and I are in the 2nd month of owning a wildwood TT So far only problem is a torn floor that's being repaired under warranty
Sgfrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
Did you have them hook up water and electricity and run through everything before you took it?
That seems to be a must these days.

I would hook everything up at the dealer. Make sure all is well and then leave everything hooked up and running while I go out for a two hour lunch. See how all looks when I come back?
M-Bob
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:56 PM   #15

Welcome to the world of FR.

FOREVER REPAIRING !

TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:35 PM   #16

75% of all camper/RV's are built like junk and the other 25% are, also.
carlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:40 PM   #17

Lol(laugh out loud). Y'all are bad...and I am an aggravater...
80% of Fords built since 1980 are still on the road... the rest made it to their destination.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:12 AM   #18

I think part of the issue is that many people are buying entry-level campers and expecting top-dollar quality.

I am not saying that the results from FR are OK. I've had my share of issues and spent a lot of time my first year getting warranty repairs. (luckily FR honored almost all warranty requests)

I'm not sure about you, but I picked this camper because of the combination of amenities and (low) price point. If I was buying a $50K plus camper then I would expect a much higher quality of fit and finish.

Just my 0.02 - I don't mean to belittle your concerns or your issues.
mkosu04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:30 AM   #19
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Lol(laugh out loud). Y'all are bad...and I am an aggravater...
80% of Fords built since 1980 are still on the road... the rest made it to their destination.
I guess that was the junk yard Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Welcome to the world of FR.

FOREVER REPAIRING !

kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote