Old 07-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Once again very impressed with the experience and help on this forum. Good heads up on the delay differences between the analog electrical service breaker and the digital overload protection on the genny. As for the mod, I notice my A/C fan starts first, runs for a minute or so then the compressor kicks in. Does that sound right? Seems like the mod sets up so the compressor starts first then the fan. All this so the DW can have A/C and I can have a little PAQ (peace and quiet). I should have never sold the tent
Since the relay switches the control voltage only, it can be easily switched to reverse the start up order.

However, since the goal is to reduce start up amperage so the spike stays below the generator cut off, having the compressor "on speed" before the additional current from the fan motor starting is added to the mix is more ideal.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #12

Thanks all,
Contacted Customer support at Dometic. Excellent email response and the live phone support was equally as good. They sent copies of the manuals for the A/C unit, the hard start kit (just in case) and the generator. Their opinion was "should work just fine". "The LW3000P generator will run your 13.500 btu air conditioner easily." However, the A/C docs recommend a 3.5 kv generator.
Still in the undecided mode, but they were pretty positive stating the compressor load is 12.4a and the motor is 2.5. Granted that's not start up so we'll see how that works out. For now I'm with ttrost65 and taking the easy way out on this one. Will post the outcome in a week or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0773 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	36035  

Old 07-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Thanks all,
Contacted Customer support at Dometic. Excellent email response and the live phone support was equally as good. They sent copies of the manuals for the A/C unit, the hard start kit (just in case) and the generator. Their opinion was "should work just fine". "The LW3000P generator will run your 13.500 btu air conditioner easily." However, the A/C docs recommend a 3.5 kv generator.
Still in the undecided mode, but they were pretty positive stating the compressor load is 12.4a and the motor is 2.5. Granted that's not start up so we'll see how that works out. For now I'm with ttrost65 and taking the easy way out on this one. Will post the outcome in a week or so.
Good deal!
Old 07-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #14

I have a GenPro 3500 RV generator, It is fairly quiet, (not Honda quiet though), it has a dedicated RV 30 amp plug in, and 2 110 volt plugs as well, electric start, and a rope start back up. Runs my 13500 AC no problem, with plenty of other stuff on. Decent price, too. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #15

Thanks Randy, looks like a good unit and a good price.
Unfortunately already pulled the trigger on the Dometic
Sure can't argue with their customer support. Hopefully the whole thing works as hoped and advertised.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #16

Dometic 3000 update as promised. Unit arrived at the shop Friday 7-26, well packed and with no damage. Included items were an oil fill bottle, drain tube, spare spark plug and wrench, owner's manual, service manual etc. Putting the wheels on the axle was the only assembly. Using the provided oil fill bottle, (very cool design as the port is a little hard to get to) added 500ml of oil, (they don't say how much but that's what it took to get the dip stick wet). Added gas and connected the battery. Four squeezes on the prime bulb, set the choke, turned the key and "presto" it fired right up. Verified all voltages with no problems. Added over 20 amps of load (26a) with no problem. Auto idle worked as specified in the manual. The 3000 was really quiet at low speed and very reasonable at full load. In all, very pleased with the initial tests. Put the unit in the trunk of the car and took it home for the real test. Over 100 degrees in the driveway. Probably 110 in the TT. Started the 3000 using the pull start this time. Two pulls, (ok I forgot to turn on the key) started right up. Let the unit run for a minute or two and turned on the air. Fan started first then the compressor kicked in. 3000's overload breaker didn't like it. Unit stayed running but no juice to the TT. Re-set the 3000, turned it off and restarted. This time I let it run about 5+ minutes (my opinion is there is something to do with the generator/inverter syncing up as well as the load sensing circuit as the only other thing on in the TT was the converter). Turned on the A/C as before, the 3000 held the load and chugged along for about an hour while the TT got nice and cool. The DW was able to finish loading for the planned weekend outing and all was good with the universe.
Once at the CG we waited until the next day to fire up the 3000. Again no problem starting or running. Took the opportunity to take the DW for a walk around the CG and let her listen to the different genny's running. You could really tell the difference between the construction type units and the inverter types. Fellow close by had a Honda 2000 and another camper a Champion 4000/3500. There was also a guy with a Powerhouse (probably 3000) so she could really get a real world idea of the differences. DW finally agreed the extra $ was worth the lower db and added consideration for those camping close by. We went inside and watched a movie. With the TT door closed we couldn't hear the 3000 at all. So far, very pleased with the new addition, quiet like the Honda and ran perfectly for the entire weekends needs.
Next trip planned in two weeks to the Great Basin NP. Should be a real test for the new genny, August in the deserts of eastern Nevada. OOrah!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_4463.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	36427   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4438.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	36428   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4467.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	36437  
Old 07-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I really like mine and haven't had any trouble. I didn't add quite enough oil the first time, and on second try didn't want to start. Added maybe a cup of oil and it fired right up. The low oil level works really well!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #18

Glad to hear your 3000 is working well for you. I hope we've found a good alternative for the, IMHO, overpriced red and blue units. Time will tell but the hope is the total cost of ownership will prove out in our favor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_1845.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	36523