Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2014, 12:31 AM   #1

Dometic A/C unit in bedroom

When we ordered our unit the manufacturer put in an A/C in our bedroom as a thank you for my husbands service in the military. The ventless washer/dryer unit is also in there in our closet. It has also been raining and there has been a lot of humidity in the air where we live. Tonight the A/C was making weird noises, kinda a gurgling sound. I went to turn it off and a bunch of water came pouring out onto the bed. My husband went online to look and mostly came up with either screws being too tight or the humidity being too much. The filter was also pretty nasty. This is a brand new unit and we've only been in it about 3 weeks. It's midnight and we can't go up and check the roof yet. We plan to in the morning. Any advice on what other issues might have caused this and how to fix it? TIA

Visit my blog:https://www.rvlifemilitarystyle.blogspot.com

🌺 Christina LaPlaca 🌺
Angelbunnie13182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:58 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Did it seem like the air flow was diminished?
Or was it blowing normal?

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:17 AM   #3

Sounds like the evap coil drip pan drain holes are plugged.......pan fills up with condensate, overflows and gets carried into discharge plenum by fan.
Condensation should be running down roof.

Will need to go up on roof, remove shroud cover and then remove sheet metal cover over evap coil. Clean evap coil, drip pan & pan drain holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roofairjgif.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	61529  
mlangdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:21 AM   #4

Also, there are 4 mounting bolts accessed from the inside. If these are loose, water can get back in. These bolts should be just SNUG. Do not over tighten or the gasket could be destroyed.

One last possibility is the rig is not level. Front slightly higher may be the answer.

Hope this helps.
mlangdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:04 AM   #5

As far as the rig goes I know the guy was making sure it was perfectly level everywhere when he delivered it.

And in an hour or so we are going to go up and check the roof. I did clean the filter last night which was really nasty and full of stuff. It was so hot in our bedroom I chose to try and run it again. It ran all the rest of the night and this morning no leaking problems.

I have read about the screws being too tight and also about the pan drain holes being clogged online too I just couldn't figure out how that could happen in 3 weeks. This rig is brand new!

🌺 Christina LaPlaca 🌺
Old 08-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #6

Does anyone have any idea if it could be the humidity my washer/dryer is causing in the room? I heard the A/C sucks up moisture then condenses it?

🌺 Christina LaPlaca 🌺
Old 08-27-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
Infractee

Turbs question about air flow is very important here. When it was making the gurgling noise, was the airflow coming out of the unit less than what it was before?
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
Turbs question about air flow is very important here. When it was making the gurgling noise, was the airflow coming out of the unit less than what it was before?
Unfortunately I'm not really sure. I was in the living room and on the computer watching video's. I turned off the computer and realized the noise was really loud from the bedroom. I figured I'd check it out in the a.m. because I was tired, so I reached up and turned it completely off and that's when the water fell. Right now it seems to be running fine with a quite strong air flow.

🌺 Christina LaPlaca 🌺
Old 08-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I bet the condenser was froze up.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 08-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #10
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I bet the condenser was froze up.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
I was thinking the evaporator probably froze up if they lost the airflow, or if airflow was good out of the vent but not blowing cool then probably condenser frozen.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:06 PM   #11

So we got up on the roof this evening. We took pictures of what we found. 1st picture is the one of the a/c that's connected to our master bedroom. What my hubby is pointing to is where the water came out of last night. That's the vent that leads directly into our bedroom that was full. It does sound like maybe it froze up then when it unfroze the water filled up in the vent. The only thing keeping it in was the suction from the a/c unit. That's why it dumped when I turned it off.

The second and third picture are from the a/c unit that is in our main living area. It's a completely different unit.

We're not 100% sure what we are looking at but I do have that diagram picture. I tried to get hubby to compare and see what we were looking at but it was really hot and humid and we were getting eaten alive by mosquitos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	master bedroom ac.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	61570   Click image for larger version

Name:	ac in main living room 1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	61571   Click image for larger version

Name:	ac in main living room 2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	61572  

🌺 Christina LaPlaca 🌺
Old 08-27-2014, 07:42 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I don't see the frost sensor.

Name:   uploadfromtaptalk1409186549303.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  20.0 KB

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 08-27-2014, 09:30 PM   #13

Retoric question.What does the frost sensor do?

🌺 Christina LaPlaca 🌺
Old 08-27-2014, 09:35 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelbunnie13182 View Post
Retoric question.What does the frost sensor do?
After looking at your pics there all from the top and a person shouldn't see it.

The frost Sensor can only be seen from the inside.

The frost sensor "should" detect the unit freezing up and shut the compressor off until it melts then turn the compressor back on.

These frost sensors sometimes fall off or don't work properly then the whole unit will freeze up till you manually shut it off to defrost.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 08-27-2014, 09:53 PM   #15

It doesn't make sense that when you turned it off it instantly drained. That isn't a symptom of frozen. Normally this would be a vacuum on the drain...then when the vacuum is broken...fan off..the water takes the path of least resistance. This case the inside. I would look hard at the squirrel cage(evaporator) side of the case/foam to determine where the water is supposed to go. You can pour some water in the evap area and watch it drain. Eye-ball the level of the unit. I am sure a few degrees off is ok. May have construction/installation debris in there. I see no way the evap got dirty that fast. Even 6 months I would question. Normally they last years without cleaning with proper filter service. I

It could be the filter was that dirty. Doesn't make sense unless we don't have whole story. ??

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
It doesn't make sense that when you turned it off it instantly drained. That isn't a symptom of frozen. Normally this would be a vacuum on the drain...then when the vacuum is broken...fan off..the water takes the path of least resistance. This case the inside. I would look hard at the squirrel cage(evaporator) side of the case/foam to determine where the water is supposed to go. You can pour some water in the evap area and watch it drain. Eye-ball the level of the unit. I am sure a few degrees off is ok. May have construction/installation debris in there. I see no way the evap got dirty that fast. Even 6 months I would question. Normally they last years without cleaning with proper filter service. I

It could be the filter was that dirty. Doesn't make sense unless we don't have whole story. ??

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Nope you def. have the whole story. The filter was dirty and I cleaned it and haven't had trouble with the a/c since.

🌺 Christina LaPlaca 🌺

Tags
bed, dometic, roo