Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2017, 08:36 PM   #1

Electric to hydraulic brake conversion

Hello forum folk. I'm seriously thinking about converting the electric brakes on my Wildwood 28RKSS (2017) from electric factory puny brakes to something that actually stops mo better. I've played with the settings on the Tekonsha P3 and I'm at about a 6.3 - Dont get me wrong, it's not bad, but I live in the Raleigh, NC area and we just love that Blue Ridge. Really good brakes are a must have. Does anyone have any experience with disc brakes vs electric? Has anyone done the conversion? (I must be really bored this winter!!)
Sawtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:12 PM   #2

Have not done a actual conversion but did buy a 5er with disk brakes after owning three other trailers with electric brakes and will not go back to electric again. Absolutely love the disk brakes.
BessieHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:39 PM   #3

I'm just waiting on warmer weather this Spring to swap over to disk brakes on my Silverback. I've bought all the components from 4 different sources to the tune of around $1300 for 6K axles with 6 lug wheels. It will be a few hundred more for 7K axles and or 8 lug wheels. I've done the swap before taking about 1/2 day for the install and another hour to bleed and tune the controller the following morning. The more difficult part is running the lines and making a mount (if needed) for the power unit ... the rest is very straight forward.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:58 PM   #4

From what I have heard there is no comparison in the braking. I am having it put on my CC when it warms up some. Performance Trailer will come to you for install
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:28 AM   #5

Hey diesel guy, where did you get the parts? Did you use the GAWR to determine the right units to buy. I'm a little apprehensive about getting the right parts. Not at all shy about doing the work. I may even get to buy some more tools - always a good thing!
Old 01-20-2017, 01:02 PM   #6

My heavy fifthwheel had electric drum brakes and they were horrible. With my brake controller on full, it did not stop like it should. I upgraded to disc and electric over hydraulic. (Did the work myself- not hard.) Night and Day difference!!! I now run my brake controller at around 40% and it stops on a dime. I am very happy with the results. If you have a heavy trailer, then disc with hydraulic is the way to go.
It cost me right under $1500 to do this on 7K axles.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #7
Don

Elec to Hydraulic Disc Brake Conversion

I too would like to convert to disc brakes. Where do you get the parts to do this and how does the emergency brake work. When I had my previous truck with an add on brake controller my elec brakes worked very well and had to keep it set low so the brakes didn't lock up. On my new 2016 Ford F350 I have to run my controller at about 80% to get sufficient braking. Don't know what the difference is.
Sandy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy12345 View Post
I too would like to convert to disc brakes. Where do you get the parts to do this and how does the emergency brake work. When I had my previous truck with an add on brake controller my elec brakes worked very well and had to keep it set low so the brakes didn't lock up. On my new 2016 Ford F350 I have to run my controller at about 80% to get sufficient braking. Don't know what the difference is.
Performance Trailer Braking Titan Hydraulic Disc Brake Conversion Kits and Installation

https://www.etrailer.com/question-136671.html

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...-brake-web.pdf

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:58 PM   #9

Thanks for the links and the good words everyone. I've done some more reading on various websites. My TT is about 7000# loaded up and I'm towing with the Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5.7L. It seems that the only difficult part is the wiring and getting the wires on the 7 pin identified correctly. Dont know if there is standard color coding or if you need to trace them. Anyone have any experience with the wiring of the Hydraulic actuator for the brakes?
Old 01-20-2017, 05:13 PM   #10
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Blue "usually" represents electric brake.
I'd pull the plug apart and see what color is used. Then remove the cover of the junction box that the pigtail is going into and see what color is mated to it.
Here's the diagram of the terminals on the plug.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1484950434702.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	128354  
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, hydraulic