Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2014, 10:19 PM   #1

Feedback on Heritage Glen, please...

As a former Forest River owner (Flagstaff and Blue Ridge), I now own an older Crossroads Cruiser fiver. It was a really nice unit that had been taken excellent care of when I bought it. I continued that care, keeping it in a garage when not in use. That garage turned out to be it's undoing as a windstorm blew most of the garage away and the remains of it collapsed on the fiver. That said, it isn't a total loss, but I will probably go ahead and trade it in damaged rather than wait on repairs to be completed.

I am looking at several different models from Keystone, Forest River, and Crossroads. I really like the looks and features of the Heritage Glen units for the price, but I would like to know how current owners feel about their units. What kind of problems are these units known for? Do they have the godforsaken Schwintek slide system that is known for major problems? What brand axles and suspension do they have? Have there been delamination problems with these? I need to know the good, bad, and ugly before I make up my mind. Thanks for any and all feedback!
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969 View Post
As a former Forest River owner (Flagstaff and Blue Ridge), I now own an older Crossroads Cruiser fiver. It was a really nice unit that had been taken excellent care of when I bought it. I continued that care, keeping it in a garage when not in use. That garage turned out to be it's undoing as a windstorm blew most of the garage away and the remains of it collapsed on the fiver. That said, it isn't a total loss, but I will probably go ahead and trade it in damaged rather than wait on repairs to be completed.

I am looking at several different models from Keystone, Forest River, and Crossroads. I really like the looks and features of the Heritage Glen units for the price, but I would like to know how current owners feel about their units. What kind of problems are these units known for? Do they have the godforsaken Schwintek slide system that is known for major problems? What brand axles and suspension do they have? Have there been delamination problems with these? I need to know the good, bad, and ugly before I make up my mind. Thanks for any and all feedback!
Mike, check this out. Independent subsidiary of Forrest River with outstanding customer service. Also, check out their section on this forum. Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers, fifth wheels and toy haulers
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #3

I have only heard of rare problems with the Schwintek system. I have it on mine and works flawlessly.
2013 nights camped 35
MarcusN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #4

No major issues so far on my 356qbq. Some minor complaints that were addressed with really no hassle. No delaminating from what I can tell. There are some waves and bumps in the fiberglass where studs and joints are and was told that's normal from the vacuum molding process. I came from an aluminum side trailer so I have no other fiberglass experience. Overall the HGs are nice. I like the color combinations. We get a lot of compliments when we travel. Good luck in your search.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #5

I'm also 99.9% sure I don't have schwintek slides, can't comment on those.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #6

I appreciate the feedback and advice. I'm down to Heritage Glen, Crusader, Keystone Outback/Sydney, and the Crossroads Cruiser. The only thing keeping me from the Crusader is the nearest dealer is Huntsville, Alabama and they don't have much of a selection. The way the insurance company is dragging around, it looks like I'll have plenty time to look.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:14 AM   #7
Infractee

We just took delivery last week of our new Heritage Glen 327RES and we are very impressed with the build quality. Took it out last weekend and it performed flawlessly. The only issues I have found so far is the touch screen wireless remote is not opening the bedroom slide... (I know, serious problem to have ) I noticed that the black tank and front grey tank handles were switched, no big deal they just unscrewed. there were a few screws missing here and there in the interior, fixed all that I found, keep a few extra around just in case. Going to be swapping out the king bed matress as it is not comfortable at all.
The L shaped couch is also a hide a bed air bed, it comes with the Aero-Bed that inflates and deflates with a knob, daughter slept there said it was comfy.

This is our first 5th wheel, it pulls like a dream compared to our previous 35' TT that weighed 3K Lbs less, it honestly pulled like nothing was back there. I am very happy with our purchase so far and would not hesitate to do it again.

As for the Schwintek slides, I do not think this one has them as all of the pics of schwintek slides I have seen they have the tracks on each side of the slide, none of the 3 on this one have that.

As for suspension, it is a leaf spring type and not the torsion axle that our Rockwood had but I will say this, it pulled so smoothly I am not sure I would have been able to tell the difference. It had NONE of the dreaded "Chucking" that I hear about from 5th wheel folks, I have the 6.75 bed and I am using the the B&W Patriot hitch and it was awesome to pull. I really could not believe how smooth it was compared to what I was used to, I had read so much before hand from people talking about the air ride hitches, air ride pin boxes etc etc. The ride hurting peoples backs etc etc that I even warned my wife before we left for our first trip that it may get rough. After about 45 mins of driving she turned to me and asked me when the rough part was going to start...
The tires are 16" ST Radials E load rated @ 80 PSI. They are the "Provider" brand, made in China, but do appear to be well made and they are rated for quite a bit of weight, much more than what is on them.

Now of course, this one is only 11K Lbs, they have heavier ones...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hg4.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	48678   Click image for larger version

Name:	int1.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	48679   Click image for larger version

Name:	int2.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	48680   Click image for larger version

Name:	int3.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	48681   Click image for larger version

Name:	int4.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	48682  

RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:08 AM   #8

Nice setup! Very nice truck and fiver!
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #9

RhoZeta - that's a nice rig. The more I think about it, the more I like it. Might go later in the week and do a little talking. The dealer where mine is sitting awaiting repair has a 327res sitting on the lot and we loved it when we walked through it. I didn't take a lot of time looking at features, but really liked the looks of it and the layout. I have a truck like yours except mine is two tone gold with a black bottom. The HG would match it nicely. Now, to work on wifey a little, lol. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:10 PM   #10
Infractee

Mike, we optioned every option for it, including W/D prep and bedroom A/C, except for the lazyboy recliners, we are going to put a reclining theater group in there so I saw no reason spending an extra $1K. We got it at around $32K so I was pretty happy, I feel it was a good bang for the buck unit. Wife adores it, especially the kitchen/counter space, which also makes me happy! LOL
Old 03-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #11

Now, that's what I'm talkin' about. Thanks, that gives me a good idea of where I ought to end up on it.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:22 AM   #12

Don't know if you bought yet. But I have a 356qbq. .we just bought a sleep number for it. The one it comes with is a rock.the one ac it comes with is ok for the 80s but if you plan on the 90s get the second ac. I plan on getting a heat strip for the second .for the winter to help on cost of heating. i haven't made a long trip in it yet but stayed in it for two weeks at Christmas .BOTH toilets SHOT out water when you flushed in the back.. ( they didn't crimp the short hose on the flusher connected to the sprayers)must have been a Friday when they made them. But I love the space and it TOWES well you will love the 356 qbq and it's only long when getting fuel or backing in the camp sight
Ecclesiastes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:29 AM   #13
Infractee

I second replacing the mattress! It is thin and uncomfortable, even with a memory foam topper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 04-17-2014, 10:47 PM   #14

Well, I did go last Friday to try to trade. Was going to get roughly $3k less for my Cruiser than I will be able to sell it for outright once it is repaired, and the 327res that they had on the lot a couple of weeks ago is sold. I think I will go ahead and get mine fixed, sell it, then try again.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:49 AM   #15
Infractee

I am sure it will be worth more once fixed, selling it private party is always going to be worth more but trading is usually less hassle and you do get some credit on the taxes with price difference. You need to order one anyway, get it made the way you want it! LOL
Good luck with whatever you do!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forest River Forums mobile app