Old 11-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #1

Few questions about 261BHXL looking to purchase

So, my wife and I are looking to purchase a new 261BHXL next spring. We have picked a local dealer which is giving us a great price. Right now I am looking at some details to determine if we want to buy one he has on the lot, or special order one.

Looking at the FR website for the X-Lites, it looks like the base fridge is an electric? But there's upgrade for the RV? Is the RV one the gas / electric combo? What would you guys recommend? Is the electric 12v or 110? I guess it would be nice having the fridge run while traveling if it is 12v, but I know your not supposed to run gas stuff while driving correct?

What about the water heater in them? Our old camper just had a gas water heater, but I've seen on here some have electric? I didn't notice an option for a different one on the FR website.

The one we are currently looking at is the 2018 model, and this one has two full bunks. I had seen in the 2017 model, there was a model that had a full bunk on bottom, but the top was smaller, and there was a small cabinet beside it. Does anyone know if thats still an option in the 2018's? We only have one child, so I think we would rather have the storage if its still an option.

Ducted AC, does anyone have the 261bhxl that can say if this is a needed option in this size camper? My wife doesn't think we need it, but I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. I wouldn't think it would be to much of an adder.

Lastly, (that I can think of right now) Camp Kitchen and rear grill. Does anyone have this, in this model camper? I am assuming it slides in under the bottom bunk? What is included in it? Does it have a fridge? On the grill, are they propane grills and does that include plumbing a port on the back for the grill if so? If its charcoal, I'm sure they sell aftermarket ones I could put on easily myself later. But if its gas, may be worth it to not have to run gas lines.

I really appreciate anything anyone can help answer for me. Just trying to see what all options we want to price at purchase vs what we can mod later ourselves.

OneZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:04 AM   #2

The fridge is likely gas and 110v, due to the size of the fridges in these trailers I doubt you'll find a 12v option.

Most hot water heaters these days are gas and 110v, just like the fridge.

Only the dealer and manufacturer could tell if that cabinet is still available on the 2018's. I will say - the extra bunks make a great space for storage, we simply toss things in bins and put them in the unused bunks.

In my opinion ducted AC and heat is a must (our 31qbss has 3 "rooms"), but the 261bhxl doesn't have real "room separation" so you could probably get away with not having it.

Most outdoor kitchens include a sink and a small electric fridge (110v). The grill is likely gas and probably has lines already ran for it.

CamperWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:56 PM   #3
Weekend Warrior

I bought a 2017 261 BHXLfrom Holman RV in Batavia, OH
couldn't find a lower price anywhere in the country
KyleStout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #4

We didn't think we would use the outside kitchen on our 2017 261bhxl, but, we're glad we got it. It has a propane grill that swings out from the bumper and connects to propane line underneath. Ours had the showstopper package. Which includes the "disco" lights under the awning. Grand kids love to watch it. We're also glad it has ducted a/c. We like it cold on hot days and it doesn't disappoint, especially in the bathroom. That's where we have found it was worth having the ducts. Fridge is propane/electric (120v). Hot water heater is propane only (Suburban). It does a good job of keeping up. Ours has the cabinet beside upper bunk, good for storage, it's usually just us 2. Been on 5 trips with it and love it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171113_153516970_HDR.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	156378
Old 11-15-2017, 05:07 PM   #5

Smile

We bought a 2015 261BHXL off the lot. It has the show stopper package but no outdoor kitchen. For $2500.00 more we could have bought a 2016 with an outside kitchen. I was stuck in my head at a certain price point and would not budge. Next time I will budge. We cook outside all the time. I underestimated the convenience. One down side is the bunks in the os kitchen have less head room. I have the single upper bunk but would prefer a double. A cabinet can always be set on the upper bunk.
We have the oven which we use. The water heater is propane only and does not use much. Fridge is propane and 120. We run it in propane while driving. Again,does not use much.
We have the ducted ac. It is not necessary but a nice luxury. Especially after the camper has cooled down it is quieter.
I would like to add a basic outdoor kitchen by adding a hatch under bunks. Also an outdoor shower.
Found out after purchase camper had two PDI's and rejected. One was broken ac. Not sure on the other one. I never looked at the roof. Looks old compared to the next year model. Numerous warranty issues first year. No problems second year.
Tow's well except in wind. There is a lot of flat surface to catch wind. Rare problem though.
We love the camper. Amazing how many grandkids we get in there.
brannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:31 PM   #6

We purchased a 2016 261BHXL and found it to be WAY to small for our family of 4 and 2 dogs. Traded it in after 2 camping trips for a bigger trailer with slides.
schwabml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:08 PM   #7

The electric only fridges are not 12 volt they run of an inverter. While driving down the road the tow vehicle and batteries would keep it going. If you want to dry camp or boondock the gas/electric fridges are the way to go. And yes you can run the fridge on propane going down the road. (at least I do and I think everyone else does as well)

Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote