Old 05-02-2019, 10:55 AM   #1

Filling the fresh water tank

For some reason our 2018 Wildwood will not take water into the fresh water tank.
When we took delivery in January the tank was 1/2 full, so I drained it to reduce the road weight. I closed the drain value thats located, on the frame just under the kitchen window.

I 1/4 filled the tank to add bleach to clean the tank, all was good. I again drained the tank.

Now I'm going on an extended trip into the Everglades, and need to refill the fresh water tank, BUT when I place the hose from the fresh water supply into the tanks entry, all the water comes flooding back out, and I noticed a bit of water inside the trailer on the floor near the kitchen sink.

The only difference between the 1st 2 fills is I placed pots & pans in the cabinet below the sink and near the fresh water inlet pipe.

Question is there a directional valve in the fresh water tank inlet, that could be malfunctioning, one that preserves pressure or something.

Thanks on advance

Florida.Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida.Traveler View Post
For some reason our 2018 Wildwood will not take water into the fresh water tank.
When we took delivery in January the tank was 1/2 full, so I drained it to reduce the road weight. I closed the drain value thats located, on the frame just under the kitchen window.

I 1/4 filled the tank to add bleach to clean the tank, all was good. I again drained the tank.

Now I'm going on an extended trip into the Everglades, and need to refill the fresh water tank, BUT when I place the hose from the fresh water supply into the tanks entry, all the water comes flooding back out, and I noticed a bit of water inside the trailer on the floor near the kitchen sink.

The only difference between the 1st 2 fills is I placed pots & pans in the cabinet below the sink and near the fresh water inlet pipe.

Question is there a directional valve in the fresh water tank inlet, that could be malfunctioning, one that preserves pressure or something.

Thanks on advance
not 100% sure but my FR Vibe fresh water inlet I stick a hose in it and fill and there are no threads, if your inlet has threads then it is a pressure fill not gravity, water leak inside your unit I don't know, there are plenty of threads on this, search in plumbing section, hope this helps

Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:07 AM   #3
Head Rambler

There's no check valve in the fill line. You probably have a kink in the fill line since you sounded like no water will go into the tank at all now.

Can you see the hose inside the RV between the tank and the fill fitting?
Old 05-02-2019, 11:08 AM   #4

Sounds like your inner house may have pinched itself off. Follow the inlet line where you can and look for a kink or cut in the line.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:11 AM   #5

You say you 1/4 filled the tank before this problem............did that go ok?

Possibly you just need to lower the pressure going in, and wait longer. That'd be the easiest fix, if true. Kinks don't sound like the issue, or the kink would have shown up when you 1/4 filled it.

Something changed. If only the amount of water/sec you're trying to put in now, then just slow down.

If something else, then a closer inspection is needed to see if something is obstructing.

And FWIW, my fresh water tank fills with just changing a valve on the same incoming hose. So it's threaded of course. But it doesn't say "Fresh Water", it says "Gravity Fill". So threaded and Gravity Fill CAN go together on some trailers. Fresh Water tank filling method seems to vary greatly.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:24 AM   #6

First thought: if you insert the hose too far into the fill tube it can block the vent tube. This effectively seals the fresh water tank, creating a pressurized tank as you try to force water into it.
KeithInUpstateNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithInUpstateNY View Post
First thought: if you insert the hose too far into the fill tube it can block the vent tube. This effectively seals the fresh water tank, creating a pressurized tank as you try to force water into it.

Shouldn't. The vent line should be an independent pipe from the external vent to the tank.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
Shouldn't. The vent line should be an independent pipe from the external vent to the tank.
Must depend on the manufacturer/trailer. Speaking from experience with a previous trailer.
KeithInUpstateNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:04 PM   #9

My TT vent tube comes to the top of the fill tube and has a small screen on top.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:14 PM   #10

My vent is a piece of screen with nothing attached to it. The air vents from the overflow fitting on the tank.

TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank