Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2019, 08:39 PM   #1

First Timer with Some Questions

Hello,

I'm new here and also new to TT life. I have some questions for the community. I have been digging around and reading but I'd like to ask some questions here and see what ya'll thought.

I am looking into buying my first TT in the next few months and was curious about a few things. The TT I am looking at is the 2020 Wildwood 27RE.

First, I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 and tow package. I believe my truck is rated at around 9000lbs towing capacity. Will this be enough to tow the 27RE?

Also, when we are parked and not plugged into power, will we have any form of power and if so, what will be be able to run? I have asked around and will be buying a generator for emergencies (Westinghouse iGen4500) but still not sure what the TT is capable of.

Lastly, what configurations for options would you recommend? I am trying to keep my budget for the actual TT as low as possible for the purchase but I know certain things are a must.

Thanks for the help in advance!
EddieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieK View Post
Hello,

I'm new here and also new to TT life. I have some questions for the community. I have been digging around and reading but I'd like to ask some questions here and see what ya'll thought.

I am looking into buying my first TT in the next few months and was curious about a few things. The TT I am looking at is the 2020 Wildwood 27RE.

First, I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 and tow package. I believe my truck is rated at around 9000lbs towing capacity. Will this be enough to tow the 27RE?

Also, when we are parked and not plugged into power, will we have any form of power and if so, what will be be able to run? I have asked around and will be buying a generator for emergencies (Westinghouse iGen4500) but still not sure what the TT is capable of.

Lastly, what configurations for options would you recommend? I am trying to keep my budget for the actual TT as low as possible for the purchase but I know certain things are a must.

Thanks for the help in advance!
First, you need to post what the truck's payload capacity is, from the driver's door yellow sticker. It'll say something like "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs". You'll also need a WDH, preferably one with integrated sway control. Also a brake controller if the truck doesn't have an integrated brake controller.
If you're not plugged into shore power, you're dry camping or boondocking. Only 12v stuff will work, which means NO a/c, no microwave and no outlets. It's best to have at least two deep cycle batteries, preferably 6v golf cart batteries unless you have the money to buy AGM or Lithium batteries.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:48 PM   #3

welcome. you will learn quick not to start a tow thread. Look at the loaded weight of the camper and the payload of your vehicle and leave 10-30 percent buffer as a cushion. two power systems 12 volt battery and 110 volt shore power. lights and furnace blower and water pump will run of batteries as long as they have life. things like TV and microwave and AC are never going to work if not plugged in.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:49 PM   #4

dan you beat me but are spot on sir.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
First, you need to post what the truck's payload capacity is, from the driver's door yellow sticker. It'll say something like "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs". You'll also need a WDH, preferably one with integrated sway control.
If you're not plugged into shore power, you're dry camping or boondocking. Only 12v stuff will work, which means NO a/c, no microwave and no outlets. It's best to have at least two deep cycle batteries, preferably 6v golf cart batteries unless you have the money to buy AGM or Lithium batteries.
Ok, great thanks! I will look at better batteries, I like the lithium because I'd be able to push them to zero with no worries. My truck sticker says 1608 lbs. I have a trailer braking system in the truck to adjust the brakes and hit the trailer breaks of needed.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:14 PM   #6
Multi-Slacker

Welcome from SoCal!

You need to know your truck's payload capacity because it will be reduced by the tongue weight and about 100 lbs for a WDH. I'm not sure what kind of generator you are looking at, but it must be an inverter type with a noise rating of < 60 db or else you will lose a lot potential friends by converting them into cranky grouches.

Old 11-26-2019, 09:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
Welcome from SoCal!

You need to know your truck's payload capacity because it will be reduced by the tongue weight and about 100 lbs for a WDH. I'm not sure what kind of generator you are looking at, but it must be an inverter type with a noise rating of < 60 db or else you will lose a lot potential friends by converting them into cranky grouches.

It has 1608 max capacity and 9200 towing capacity. Thanks for the generator help, lol, I have looked at this one on amazon, what do you think? Westinghouse iGen4500 Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator - 3700 Rated Watts and 4500 Peak Watts - Gas Powered - CARB Compliant
Old 11-26-2019, 09:23 PM   #8

Dan,

What do you think of the 27RE? That's the one we are going to look at up in West Chester, Pa next week.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:29 PM   #9

You are going to have a very tough time towing that with a 1/2T pickup. Dry it's 7600# and would likely be pushing 9K when fully loaded. At 9K your tongue weight alone will be pushing 1200# with 13% tongue weight. That leaves 400# for occupants and gear.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:42 PM   #10

Per the FR website, the 2020 Wildwood 27RE has a GVWR of 7583 + 2332 = 9,914 lbs, so you're already over your TV's towing capacity.

Even if it only weighed the Unloaded Vehicle Weight (UVW) or "dry weight" (which you should never look at, because it's just a marketing ploy for suckers), the analogous "dry hitch weight" is 955 lbs. If you add 75 lbs for a WDH, you're now at 1030 lbs tongue weight, leaving you 1608 - 1030 = 578 lbs of payload. This 578 lbs would need to cover you, wife, kids, dogs, and stuff. Looks like that generator is 98 lbs by itself.

BUT: remember that the hypothetical 578 lbs above will really be less because it's based on a "dry hitch weight" of 955 lbs, which you will NEVER have. A more realistic hitch weight will be around 1200 lbs, plus the WDH, so say 1275 lbs. After you add the generator, you'll have 235 lbs for you, wife, kids, dogs and other stuff.

IMHO you need a smaller trailer or a larger truck.

But I commend you for asking BEFORE you make a mistake.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Per the FR website, the 2020 Wildwood 27RE has a GVWR of 7583 + 2332 = 9,914 lbs, so you're already over your TV's towing capacity.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...wood/27RE/4552

Even if it only weighed the "dry weight" (which you should never look at, because it's for suckers), the dry hitch weight is 955 lbs. If you add 75 lbs for a WDH, you're now at 1030 lbs tongue weight, leaving you 1608 - 1030 = 578 lbs of payload. This 578 lbs would need to cover you, wife, kids, dogs, and stuff. Looks like that generator is 98 lbs by itself.

BUT: remember that the hypothetical 578 lbs above will really be less because it's based on a "dry hitch weight" of 955 lbs, which you will NEVER have.

IMHO you need a smaller trailer or a larger truck.

Ah man! My GF and I really, really liked that TT but I guess we'll have to look at a lighter one instead because I don't want to max my truck out like that. Thanks for the info!
Old 11-26-2019, 09:48 PM   #12

Personally, I wouldn't tow anything more than 7K with a 1/2T and you may have a problem with that with only 1600# payload. Look for trailers with dry weight of 6K or less.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Ah man! My GF and I really, really liked that TT but I guess we'll have to look at a lighter one instead because I don't want to max my truck out like that. Thanks for the info!
Great that you asked this forum BEFORE you bought the TT because 98 times out of 100 people ask AFTER they purchased.

THink about where you will be traveling... will there be mountains on the trips or mostly traveling flatlands? That will require a lot of power from the truck... the kind of power a diesel engine gives. Torque numbers are more imprtant than HP when climbing mountains.

Don't fall for the old salesman line of " you will be fine pulling that trailer with your truck."

If you search this forum there are literally dozens of threads about truck payload or towing limits, with most asking AFTER the trailer has been pulled home, then realizing the new owners needed a bigger truck. START reading here Towing, Tow Vehicles, Hitches & Toads - Forest River Forums

Good luck in your search.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Great that you asked this forum BEFORE you bought the TT because 98 times out of 100 people ask AFTER they purchased.

THink about where you will be traveling... will there be mountains on the trips or mostly traveling flatlands? That will require a lot of power from the truck... the kind of power a diesel engine gives. Torque numbers are more imprtant than HP when climbing mountains.

Don't fall for the old salesman line of " you will be fine pulling that trailer with your truck."

If you search this forum there are literally dozens of threads about truck payload or towing limits, with most asking AFTER the trailer has been pulled home, then realizing the new owners needed a bigger truck. START reading here Towing, Tow Vehicles, Hitches & Toads - Forest River Forums

Good luck in your search.
Thanks, I just posted over there to see if anyone has my truck, or similiar and can tell me what weights they feel comfortable with because I'm getting all kinds of answers to this question and I know I won't be able to answer it myself unless I buy something and figure it out, without hopefully going too heavy.

I wanted the 27RE because of the floor plan. Do you know off hand of any other with similar layouts but less weight?
Old 11-27-2019, 12:12 AM   #15

Quote:
I wanted the 27RE because of the floor plan. Do you know off hand of any other with similar layouts but less weight?
I graduated from a popup to a hybrid 5 years ago... I also have a 1/2 ton RAM. Loaded my trailer might weigh in at 4,800# ( dry weight is 4,000#), AND 21+ feet total trailer length. My tongue weight is about 600# and I use a weight distribution hitch WDH (about 75# which goes against payload). My payload on the RAM is only a bit over 1400#, but it is only the wife and I to consider for additional weight against that capacity so I am good to load up the truck with just her and I and our STUFF.

I am not in the same class trailer as you have been looking at. I like the hybrid I got, with three tip-out bunks. I like the hybrid because I don't give up interior space for beds. I also do NOT have a slide, which most models DO have these days to add interior space. The wife and I have spent up to 3 months wintering in FL, so we spend much time outside. I also pitch a tent which I use as a TV room with 2 chairs and a table for in the evening (making up more room then the interior of the trailer). Under the awning I cook and also relax there when it rains . I do some mountain climbing over the KY/TN border but my 5.7 hemi and 8 speed make that easy. That part is only 100 miles or so and is considered a hill compared to out west. Most of my travel is on flat land in the mid-west. The biggest thing that gets me only 7-10 MPG while towing is the wind loading on the frontal area of the trailer. Some hybrids top out at around 24 ft and 6,000-6,500# with a slide. If I wanted larger, and did not want to upgrade my truck to a 2500, I would look at those.

Opinions on here will vary, but most everyone agrees that the biggest danger towing is too much trailer for a given truck. You make your trips safer with a more enjoyable drive rather then "white-knuckling" the entire drive when you have a proper sized PAYLOAD truck. DO NOT rely on TOW capacity of the truck... that is a marketing mythical number. IF you are planning short 50 mile trips on flat land, well then you could get away with the heavier 7-8K dry weight trailers... IMHO

Finally, generators are a whole nuther subject. Keep your eyes on this forum and you will get an education as generators is a HOT topic.

Hope this helps...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:25 AM   #16

Welcome and I assume by looking up at West Chester Pa. you would be going to Stoltzfus RV & Marine? Nice and fancy place but if you not set in stone yet I would suggest also looking at the other Stoltzfus in Adamstown Pa. 2 different dealerships, ask for Lee Vought and he will set you straight on what you could possibly tow with what you have, he will not sell you something to big for your truck. Also if not in a rush, after the holiday's the winter show season starts and there will be a few in your area which will offers one place shopping which is great to compare, there will be shows in Atlantic City, Oaks Pa, Harrisburg and York, also if you want to go a bit farther also Timonium Md. Spend some time looking and reading and learning before you JUMP in and buy it will be worth it later, good luck and have fun, lots of good info from great people here on this forum
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:43 AM   #17

Thanks for all the responses! My girlfriend and I will be the only 2 on our trips and we are both very simple people who don't have to travel with much but our 2 bikes, normal living things and my computer (I work from that full time).

We plan on living in this thing for a year or two to travel the country so I'd prefer something that is more stable and less moving things around, setting up, or in and out. I plan on taking it around the country. I'd like to pull in to a spot, connect the thing to proper water/electric and be ready to rock.

After everyone's advice in here and talking to some people on the Chevy forum, I'm feeling more inclined to look at something like recommended above over about 6K pounds dry, 7500lbs MAX, MAX to pull. Then, whatever I can put in my truck, which could keep me well under capacity as to not tear up the truck, or have to white knuckle while driving, because I enjoy driving and don't want to make that miserable.

My girlfriend actually told me about the AC RV show and we will be going down there for that and I'm sure that will be the place were I really figure out what I want. I haven't looked at any TT live yet, only online here and heartland. Everything I like is about 1000lbs too heavy for my liking and comfort.

The 27RE here and they have the 31QUBH at Heartland. My budget is about $25K max for a new TT.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:39 AM   #18

Welcome to the wonderful world of RVing Eddie. I had a smaller TT a few years ago prior to trading it in on a larger toy hauler. I was pulling with a 2011 1500 silverado crew cab with the larger V8. Similar cargo carrying capacity as your truck. The dry weight of the camper I had (Keystone Passport ML 239) was just under 4000 lbs. and had about 1400 lbs of cargo carrying capacity which we were using about 1200 lbs of when I had it loaded with water. So about 5200+ lbs trailer and goodies inside.

I had a weight distribution hitch and sway bar on it and still had to learn to properly load the trailer with as much weight forward as I could and be gentle with the amount of stuff I put in truck bed to have it drive nicely with 2 adults, a 35 lb dog and a 115 lb teenager in the cab.

So my advice is to try to find a floor plan that you both can land somewhere between LOVE IT and LIVE WITH IT that leaves you with plenty of room under your cargo limit.

One, if your planning on living in it for a while, You will want to pack it fuller than you think. Two, Room in the truck bed always seems to get filled somehow. Three, nothing makes you hate a trailer that you loved more than when it's pulling your truck all over the place when a tractor trailer passes you or you get hit with a gust of wind and you realize you have more tail than dog.

Best of luck in your decisions and salute to you for asking first. There are alot of varying experiences and opinions on this forum and they're all right at some point and occasionally wrong. Go with the way the majority points you and most of the time, you'll be just fine. Happy Camping!
Old 11-27-2019, 07:20 AM   #19

Look at dblr's(double r) tow vehicle in his signature above. You wouldn't have to worry about weights with that. Saw it in Indian River, Mi. last summer. As has been said it's a good thing you asked before jumping into the deep end. Safety is the best way to go.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieK View Post
Thanks for all the responses! My girlfriend and I will be the only 2 on our trips and we are both very simple people who don't have to travel with much but our 2 bikes, normal living things and my computer (I work from that full time).

We plan on living in this thing for a year or two to travel the country so I'd prefer something that is more stable and less moving things around, setting up, or in and out. I plan on taking it around the country. I'd like to pull in to a spot, connect the thing to proper water/electric and be ready to rock.

After everyone's advice in here and talking to some people on the Chevy forum, I'm feeling more inclined to look at something like recommended above over about 6K pounds dry, 7500lbs MAX, MAX to pull. Then, whatever I can put in my truck, which could keep me well under capacity as to not tear up the truck, or have to white knuckle while driving, because I enjoy driving and don't want to make that miserable.

My girlfriend actually told me about the AC RV show and we will be going down there for that and I'm sure that will be the place were I really figure out what I want. I haven't looked at any TT live yet, only online here and heartland. Everything I like is about 1000lbs too heavy for my liking and comfort.

The 27RE here and they have the 31QUBH at Heartland. My budget is about $25K max for a new TT.
When you look at an actual trailer, there is a sticker on the front drivers side. It will give you the GVWR, which is the max the trailer is allowed/expected to weigh. Here's mine:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini Lite VIN sticker 2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	219941

Use the GVWR number to do your math, NOT the dry weight. (Never say dry weight again.)

Estimate the tongue weight as about 13% of GVWR, so if your 7500 lb max is the GVWR, your tongue weight will be 975 lbs, plus 75 lbs for a WDH, so total tongue weight of 1050 lbs.

And as mentioned, salesmen love to look out at the parking lot at your truck and say "Oh, your fill-in-the-blank truck can pull this trailer."

My 2009 Silverado 1500 listed 99 permutations (engine, cab, bed, tow package, 4WD/2WD, 4 wheel disc brakes vs 2 wheel disc brakes, etc) with towing capacities from 4000 lbs up to 12000 lbs. (Mine was only good for 7500 lbs.) So how can any salesman know from inside the building if YOUR truck is able to pull a particular trailer?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time