Old 03-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #1

First TT 171rbxl

Just ordered our first TT - 2018 Wildwood Xlite 171rbxl
Pulling it with a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 w/tow

After looking at all the tow parameters of the vehicle and trailer, we found this to be a good match for us with a floor plan we like.

Now for the questions:
Looking for WDH with sway - have used Pro Pride hitch with friction bar when pulling a race car open trailer with good success. Any recommendations on other makes?
Would you go with the 750 or 1000 lb bars?
One or 2 sway control units?

Are mirror extensions needed or should I wait till I get the trailer?

We have 2 larger size dogs 65 and 55 lb Coonhounds - do I need to get a screen reinforcement for the screen door?

Still looking at wheel chocks and sewer and water hoses.

Any other suggestions for this trailer.

Can't wait to get started.

2018 JGC Limited 4x4 w/tow
MarkDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:01 PM   #2

I can only comment about the dogs. Yes, I would get screen reinforcement. I think that any size dog could push through a screen if they have enough inclination.

otrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #3
Site Team

Get a WDH with integrated sway control, not an old tech chains and add-on friction sway bars WDH.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #4

A piece of plexiglass on thenlower section of the door helps. You can screw it right to the frame of the screen door. Possibly even slid it into some of the channels, depending on the type of door you have.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:33 PM   #5

Congrats on the trailer!

I thought the propride had the sway control covered without the after market sway bar?

If not I would get a WDH with sway control built in as they tend to be easier to deal with and perform better than adding the sway bars afterwards. Your trailer is light but has a lot of payload capacity. Two WDH most mentioned on the forum are the blueox sway pro and equal-i-zer 4pt. Any of those three are great options.

Bars requires math and reading depending on your hitch. Looks like fully loaded you will be 7200lbs so depends on how you pack. The bars typically cover a range. Based on the dry tongue weight and storage locations from a 2017 I would count on your unit being tongue heavy. What is 500lbs dry will be 1000 with your trailer fully loaded. Watch your axle weights and get it weighed once loaded and ready to camp. You may end up having to pack light to keep it in range with the jeep.

Mirror extensions depends on your TV and trailer and how you feel about coverage. The rear view camera works wonders and could make you change your mind on mirrors. I find that some blind spot mirrors and the camera provide the coverage I really need but I did buy the mirror extensions as well but I don't like the passenger side at all. It needs to be curved a bit to show more.

Wheel chocks get the $5.99 sale rubber ones from harbor freight. I bought plastic ones. They blew away in storage and I did not feel confident with them. I bought new rubber ones. I also crushed one plastic one driving over it but the rubber ones never had any issues. If you mean x-chocks they are great but use them WITH wheel chocks.

Not sure about the dogs as mine is a pushover and does not hurt it but I would screw some light plexiglass to it with those sizes.

Amazon is your friend for camping supplies as is Wal-Mart. CW seems to have an occasions sale on an item that beats them but only rarely. Get a complete solution for the hose. I use this because you just open the box and attach it.
Camco RhinoFLEX 20ft RV Sewer Hose Kit, Includes Swivel Fitting and Translucent Elbow with 4-In-1 Dump Station Fitting, Storage Caps Included, Frustration-Free Packaging (39742) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPHR30U..._IbAPAbYSFXP44

Get some sort of support and a clear 45 or 90 as well so you can see when clean.

Happy camping!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #6

My first one as well. WDH is needed, i use Equalizer E4. Go 10k. Yes to screen door guard. Yes to tow mirrors. Use wheel chock or Xchock. Might come with dealer supplied sewer hose, but get a good heavy one with clear fittings. Enjoy.
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:24 PM   #7

Thanks for all the good ideas

Thanks everyone for the great ideas.
I need to further investigate WDH's - but I have 6-8 weeks to do so.
I'm picking up the trailer at RV Wholesalers.

While the trailer has a lot of payload capacity, I won't load anywhere near that limit. I'm aware of the JGC towing capacity and don't plan to exceed it.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:01 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDNC View Post
Thanks everyone for the great ideas.
I need to further investigate WDH's - but I have 6-8 weeks to do so.
I'm picking up the trailer at RV Wholesalers.

While the trailer has a lot of payload capacity, I won't load anywhere near that limit. I'm aware of the JGC towing capacity and don't plan to exceed it.
They'll treat you right and they should give you the right advice on a WDH.
They sell a lot of Equal-i-zers
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:19 PM   #9

A ProPride hitch does not need or use an external friction sway control unit.

My opinion:
I think the ProPride is the safest of the hitches with the Hensley right up with it. Both are significantly more expensive than the next level. By design, the trailer cannot pivot behind the TV unless the TV turns first. The hitch will keep the trailer straight behind you except in the most severe situations. With a minimal amount of dry lube on the hitch, I have not had problems hitching up. I have not had any white knuckle experiences. This is on a short bed F-150 with stock 20" P rated tires and no other modifications to the suspension. Trailer follows the truck "like a little puppy".

I have read enough postings to believe that the Blue Ox and Equalizer hitches mentioned are very adequate hitches at a significantly lower price point. Many say they don't sway. I think it is telling that they are advertised as "sway control hitches". My belief is that under most circumstances the built in anti-sway does a good job of absorbing the sway energy. I have also read an engineering study that claims using a ball mount hitch with a sway control device is susceptible to uncontrollable sway under certain circumstances. Both of these hitches allow you to backup without disengaging the anti-sway. Both of these hitches have been used safely by many for many years

My comparison is the difference between disc and drum brakes. Drum brakes found on most trailers do the job of stopping the trailer at a moderate price. Disc brakes cost more and stop better. Discs fade less and from most reports stop a load in a shorter distance.

Like the brake option where folks who have spent the money to upgrade report the improved stopping. 99% of the people who switch to a ProPride or Hensley hitch swear they will never go back.

It seems to me that the ProPride and Hensley hitches are more likely to be seen on Airstream trailers. I'm not sure if that is because those owners just have "money to burn" or they are willing to spend more to protect their more expensive trailers.

Bottom line - you need to decide what your budget can absorb and, if what I believe is improved safety, is worth the price to you. Do a search on this and other RV related forums and see what you find. LOTS of opinions and information can be found. I think the largest amount of information on the Hensley and ProPride hitches can be found in threads on the Airstream forum. (You only need to be a member to post - though they accept folks with any brand trailer)

I'll add that I really like the jack method of applying the WD. I am able to dial the amount of tension exactly to what I need. I know I use a little less tension if I am traveling with fresh water, it reduces my tongue weight pretty significantly. I use a cordless drill to apply or remove the WD tension and also use the drill on my stab jacks. So set up and tear down is pretty quick.

YMMV
Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2018 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew
SailorSam20500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:01 PM   #10

Pro Series not Pro Pride Oops

I used the wrong terminology in my first post and can't seem to be able to edit it.

I used the old Pro Series WDH with chains - not Pro Pride.
I have been doing research since my original post and can see the advantage of the Equilizer set up. I'm sold!
I will look into your recommendation, but cost is a concern. I went small on the trailer to match the Jeep Grand Cherokee which is my daily driver.
Having a SUV works for me as I'm still working and need to balance expenses with enjoyment.

It's just me, the wife and 2 dogs.
Maybe some time in the future I will be able to justify a bigger TV and trailer.

Thanks for all the great info - this forum is extremely helpful.