Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2015, 10:33 AM   #21

thats just like the weekend warrior floor. they started this type of construction as far as I know. did a couple of those. hopefully theres some outriggers on that frame where the walls bolt so you can travel.. can we get a couple frame pics from under? we used 3/4" marine ply for replacement but the MDO mentioned sounds good too. I just could not read where it was mentioned for flooring. but, for lots of other extreme uses. the "C" grade internals kinda bothered me. the insurance guy is going to probably say long term, pre-existing condition. thats where you get adament about it was not like this when I parked it last fall. dont do anymore work to it. get someone in the repair industry to intercede for you if necessary and dont give up. this damage can easily occur over the winter. i dont think an owner is negligent when they cant see water.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #22

The floor base you removed appears to be OSB (oriented strand board) if I remember correctly. That stuff can be ruined a lot easier than regular plywood. When you can get someone to look at it for repairs please make certain you get them to fix it with a decent grade of plywood and not the OSB.. IE.. marine or even the MDO. If you are going to do it yourself, most good lumber yards should have the marine or MDO plywood.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #23

We found rotten wood in front of both doors of a 2000 Nomad and DH has replaced the rotten places with 5/8 treated plywood. Matched up to the boards on the floor . Now replacing all the vinyl with vinyl planking. Takes some time but doing it ourselves.
Silverback Iowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Geez, I have no idea how to do any of that nor the equipment to do it.
I don't suppose you live anywhere around Cincinnati? I could give you a hand...

Roger
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:57 PM   #25

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdmom View Post
What it looks like this morning. Might find the source of the leak today/tomorrow as its supposed to rain.

You can see in this photo where some of the plywood from under the front wall came out.

Darco wrap-that stuff is not waterproof and will allow water to wick from the edges. Forest River used that as a cheap substitute for bottom sealing. It is giving Prime Time owners nightmares because it tears and bunches up on the bottom

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:20 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
Darco wrap-that stuff is not waterproof and will allow water to wick from the edges. Forest River used that as a cheap substitute for bottom sealing. It is giving Prime Time owners nightmares because it tears and bunches up on the bottom
What can be done about it?

bsdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeezer View Post
The floor base you removed appears to be OSB (oriented strand board) if I remember correctly. That stuff can be ruined a lot easier than regular plywood. When you can get someone to look at it for repairs please make certain you get them to fix it with a decent grade of plywood and not the OSB.. IE.. marine or even the MDO. If you are going to do it yourself, most good lumber yards should have the marine or MDO plywood.
That's what it looks like to me, too. Here's the largest section pulled out 24 hours ago- the piece from under the wall.

That white insulation stuff is worthless. But, it does seem to be the barrier between the under wrap and the wood floor... the floor looks ok into the dinette/kitchen area, but the while insulation is wet.

Any holes (pretty small) in that black wrap we patched until I can grab some eternabond.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I don't suppose you live anywhere around Cincinnati? I could give you a hand...

Roger
Not conveniently close... I'm in Michigan.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
There's not much sense repairing anything till you find and repair the leak that caused this damage.
I'm with you DDC!

Water damage will start at the beginning. If from the roof, it'll be mold/mildew all the way down. Bad things can happen to you if you breath too much air with mold/mildew in the air. I would suggest looking for damage in the walls too.

Do all this AFTER talking to the insurance co.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:09 PM   #30

The more I look at the pics and think about the labor involved in the repair I am starting to wonder if this should be written off as a heath hazard and a insurance total.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
I'm with you DDC!

Water damage will start at the beginning. If from the roof, it'll be mold/mildew all the way down. Bad things can happen to you if you breath too much air with mold/mildew in the air. I would suggest looking for damage in the walls too.

Do all this AFTER talking to the insurance co.
The RV shop said they resealed / caulked everything they thought could be the problem. Guess its a waiting game with the rain.

Share your concern about the walls, esp. since the screws were rusted. Thankfully when we use the trailer, its just a giant tent... we're outside all day until its time to sleep. More worried about the effects on my dogs. We're not power users by any means... one weekend a month during the summer.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:29 PM   #32

Just submitted a claim with the photos... ugh.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:37 PM   #33

Quote:
The RV shop said they resealed / caulked everything they thought could be the problem. Guess its a waiting game with the rain.

Share your concern about the walls, esp. since the screws were rusted. Thankfully when we use the trailer, its just a giant tent... we're outside all day until its time to sleep. More worried about the effects on my dogs. We're not power users by any means... one weekend a month during the summer.
Is any of this in writing and did you pay for it?

And if it was in their care, I would think it would be THEIR responsibility.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Is any of this in writing and did you pay for it?

And if it was in their care, I would think it would be THEIR responsibility.
I have the most recent receipt. Not sure where the one is from last year. They are also the place that did insurance work on it when I accidentally backed into it with my Jeep.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #35

Sorry this happened to you bsdmom. That really sucks. Unfortunately this needs to a cautionary tale to all RV owners that water is the death of RV's.

Good luck with the repairs.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:25 PM   #36

I would take it to a dealer and file a claim with your insurance company (the warranty won't help now, but you should have insurance on the unit. we had a hybrid with the same problem, and had to pay $1000 out of pocket to have the floor pulled up and replaced but our auto insurance paid the rest of it. we had a 2001 camper that the walls and floor was completed wet and ruined. it was totaled out and we bought a hybred camper and the hybred was the one with the wet floor that we had to replace (it was only ne year old when that happened so our insurance coverage paid all but the $1000) we were told then that even when a camper is stored it should be leveled as best as possible to be sure the water runs off as it should.
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:28 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
Sorry this happened to you bsdmom. That really sucks. Unfortunately this needs to a cautionary tale to all RV owners that water is the death of RV's.

Good luck with the repairs.

Vin.
As much as I love having an RV, gotta wonder if its really worth it. If insurance won't cover anything, I have an $8,000 piece of junk.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:29 PM   #38

Quote:
I have the most recent receipt. Not sure where the one is from last year. They are also the place that did insurance work on it when I accidentally backed into it with my Jeep.
Where did the Jeep hit the unit and what did they have to repair? Is there any More to this Story? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:31 PM   #39

Quote:
As much as I love having an RV, gotta wonder if its really worth it. If insurance won't cover anything, I have an $8,000 piece of junk.
Did you buy this used? Could it be the damage was done under the ownership of the prior owner and that all the proper maintenance you did was too late?

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Where did the Jeep hit the unit and what did they have to repair? Is there any More to this Story? Youroo!!
Backed into just in front of the door. Bent the hinge and dented the siding. They replaced the door and fixed the siding. That's all.