Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2015, 06:39 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
Did you buy this used? Could it be the damage was done under the ownership of the prior owner and that all the proper maintenance you did was too late?

Vin.
Probably. ANd that's what I'm afraid my insurance will say. But the rate at which that floor declined... wow. Even with the maintenance I did.

bsdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:45 PM   #42

dont be too quick to assume this was faulty sealing work. these that I have done in the past have been compartment doors(wanderer and tahoe front), shower traps and fresh water tanks, primarily. is the tank on the floor in the middle across from the entry door? usually the greatest rot with a water source marks the origin. water enters between the vinyl and subfloor. if the tongues down then the front gets taken out. the origin is quite possibly further back towards the kitchen.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdmom View Post
Probably. ANd that's what I'm afraid my insurance will say. But the rate at which that floor declined... wow. Even with the maintenance I did.
except the floor was fine last fall and you saw no signs of water...
Old 04-19-2015, 07:06 PM   #44

Well mom, we are all interested in your situation and want to help you by giving suggestions that may/may not help. We sometimes get into predicaments and sometimes when people brainstorm (like here on FRF) we might hit upon a solution. So don't be afraid of asking questions. Just try to make them intelligent?

So let me ask:

In the 1st post, you mentioned that you brought the TT out of storage. From where?

Did you have it covered? With an RV cover?

Was it stored in a somewhat level position? If it isn't parked somewhat level, the rain runoff may have been affected and could get into places that are not sealed correctly.

It's kind of late to say it now, but no matter how the previous owner maintained the trailer, it's yours now.

If you are going to repair the damage(whether insurance settlement or not), you need to find out where the water has entered. The walls will have insulation that will be ruined and will have to come out.

I see a huge endeavor if you keep the TT.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:58 PM   #45

I paid to have it sit on the lot of the place that does maintaince. They winterized it for me then put the RV cover on it and parked it. The cover came with the RV and is pretty fancy.

Again, I have no idea where water may be coming in, especially if the RV place says they've done everything they saw to do

The trailer is on payments so I'll likely have to keep paying for a trailer I can't use. And no money to even think about $$$$ in repairs right now.

Couldn't have happened at a worse time.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:10 PM   #46

Don't despair, certainly you had insurance if you were making payments. Get them on it pronto and you can go from there.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:20 PM   #47

Unfortunately when the floor is rotted in an RV to the extent your pictures show it most likely will be a total loss.

Sorry to say that, but I think your insurance company will just total the RV and give you ACV.

We feel for you. This is very sad.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:07 PM   #48

is the molding on the perimeter of the floor looking as good all the way around as in the pictures? if the water starts under the vinyl then the walls pinch it off. if thats the case, the walls will be fine. everything above vinyl that is. no tanks up front, dont know why this would be a total. coach is only 5 years old.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:56 AM   #49

Just talked to State Farm. The said it is unlikely water damage will be covered as that's something that happens over a duration of time, not something sudden like an accident. They are sending an adjuster just in case but it isn't looking good. Completely heartbroken.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:03 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
is the molding on the perimeter of the floor looking as good all the way around as in the pictures? if the water starts under the vinyl then the walls pinch it off. if thats the case, the walls will be fine. everything above vinyl that is. no tanks up front, dont know why this would be a total. coach is only 5 years old.
Not sure what you're asking? What's left under the walls is actually drying out.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:07 AM   #51

Any advice on what to say to the adjuster?

Old 04-20-2015, 08:24 AM   #52

Man, I feel for ya'. If push comes to shove, re-floor it and sell it back to the place you bought it. Be done with it. Get yourself something else and start fresh. What a freakin' nightmare.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:25 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Man, I feel for ya'. If push comes to shove, re-floor it and sell it back to the place you bought it. Be done with it. Get yourself something else and start fresh. What a freakin' nightmare.
Bought it from a private seller. The front sofa base and cabinets will need to be rebuilt too.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #54

I hope the adjuster comes through for you... if not, maybe an ad on Craigslist for a handyman, maybe retired... I just typed in home handyman retired in google and got lots of responses...

This might be repairable, but not likely cheap at a commercial shop. Someone has to kind of know their way around tools and have some wood working skills and the time to do it. A rebuild might be a good option, and when that is being done, you may find the culprit hole... likely the rot has been there for a while and you just now uncovered it.

Good Luck

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:35 AM   #55

Insurance will more than likely total it. Take the money and run.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:48 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdmom View Post
Any advice on what to say to the adjuster?
Yes you should use your (Post# 40) reply! You have said it didn't Leak before the (Wreck and Repair)! Water can (Enter and Run) doing Major Damage,Leaks are HARD to locate! The adjuster works for (THEM) NOT YOU! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #57
DDC

I agree with "youroo' link this to the accident earlier.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:48 AM   #58

And show up with a (Neck Brace on) also! Just kidding! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:49 AM   #59
Site Team - Lou

I spotted a leaker early on at the turboflush fitting. It only leaked water into the camper when I was outside running it, and it was under and behind the cabinets.

Just happened to notice some water near the water pump (same cabinet) and figured it out while trying to find the non-existent pump leak.

I did not "winterize" the turboflush and the fitting cracked.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #60

hello...my name is david. insurance companies DO pay claims like this. I have proof. I have repaired numerous floors like this under insurance and have documentation. I have also written all the major carriers about the industry standards that lead to this condition. floating vinyl is what allows huge swathes of floor to degrade in very little time. though not said, im sure the industry went this direction due to movement at the joints rifting the vinyl. at least thats what I thought till I saw the jayco vid on the "why" thread. some mfg still do the "full spread". at least one industry rep here says your negligent. an owner, using due diligence should see water and correct. my contention is, if the water is under the vinyl, who can see it? thats why I mentioned the molding at the floor line. I saw no staining on the molding. the sofa base and cabinets, are they just stained or rotted? these are the components on which you build your case.