Old 09-11-2018, 10:09 AM   #1

Floor Insulation?

While creating an entrance hole to run a phone/DSL cable through I was somewhat surprised to find no insulation under the floor in our Wildwood XL. Is that normal, or have I discovered another QC foul-up with this unit?

2011 Ford F-150 3.5 Twin Turbo
2018 Wildwood X-Lite 273QBXL
Pococj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pococj View Post
While creating an entrance hole to run a phone/DSL cable through I was somewhat surprised to find no insulation under the floor in our Wildwood XL. Is that normal, or have I discovered another QC foul-up with this unit?
Does it have an enclosed underbelly??? The insulation on an open underbelly is usually a black thin sheeting.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:51 PM   #3

It's got black plastic sheeting. I cut through it expecting to see actual insulation of some sort. Drilled the hole through the floor, ran the wire, sealed the hole in the floor, and used Gorilla tape to seal the cut in the sheeting. Just surprised there was no real insulation, except the air between the sheeting and the underside of the floor.
2011 Ford F-150 3.5 Twin Turbo
2018 Wildwood X-Lite 273QBXL
Pococj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #4

That was the way my 2000 Thor Wanderer was. Cold weather here in Florida and you definitely wore slipper or you had ice cubes as feet. It maybe different for a unit with the "Polar" option I've seen listed and units purchased north of the Mason/Dixon line.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #5

Unless the floor was plywood, it will be a laminated panel similar to the walls in a fiberglass exterior camper. Part of the lamination is a foam core, which is the insulation.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:32 PM   #6

I would say that most trailers of that style are not made for cold weather camping. I would not expect to find insulation on the floor. Our flagstaff micro lite had a plastic type sheeting on the underside of the plywood flooring but that was for water protection not insulation
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:43 PM   #7

Quote:
It's got black plastic sheeting. I cut through it expecting to see actual insulation of some sort. Drilled the hole through the floor, ran the wire, sealed the hole in the floor, and used Gorilla tape to seal the cut in the sheeting. Just surprised there was no real insulation, except the air between the sheeting and the underside of the floor.
That what ours had and the floor was plenty warm to 32 degrees. It is insulation just not as you are used to seeing.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 09-19-2018, 03:30 PM   #8

Quote:
In our trailer the underbelly is open also, when we run the heat we have one open duct (Loose vent line from the furnace / trailer came this way) that fills the underbelly with heated air. Normally we run electric heat and only use the furnace to warm it up in the mornings, floor included...

2016 Ford Lariat F250 Super Duty
2016 Heritage Glen 337BAR
mboatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboatwright View Post
In our trailer the underbelly is open also, when we run the heat we have one open duct (Loose vent line from the furnace / trailer came this way) that fills the underbelly with heated air. Normally we run electric heat and only use the furnace to warm it up in the mornings, floor included...
Just a question?? your underbelly must be closed in, if you have an open duct that can fill the underbelly with heat. An open underbelly has no cover over the frame, tanks or propane piping, they are exposed and you can see the flooring in places.

On an open underbelly the insulation is thin and between the floor and the frame.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 09-19-2018, 08:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Just a question?? your underbelly must be closed in, if you have an open duct that can fill the underbelly with heat. An open underbelly has no cover over the frame, tanks or propane piping, they are exposed and you can see the flooring in places.

On an open underbelly the insulation is thin and between the floor and the frame.

My tank compartment is sealed off separate from the rest of the bottom and yes my underbelly is airtight. everything is either sealed with foam or gorilla type tape. Our trailer was built on the west coast, no clue if this makes a difference...

2016 Ford Lariat F250 Super Duty
2016 Heritage Glen 337BAR
mboatwright is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, insulation