Old 07-21-2009, 02:53 PM   #11

my old tt had rust on the bumper.. not big deal. i sanded it down and sprayed it with some rustoleum paint.

Jon Breen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #12

maintenance,maintenance,maintenance. i have never seem a trailer without rust even after a year at most, especially if it was delivered to your dealer in the winter(salty roads)

Old 08-01-2009, 08:21 AM   #13

The paint on the frame of my Rockwood pup started pealing after only 2 years. It wasn't just surface rust, the first spot I noticed was a 2" by 2" piece of the frame paint just flaked off while washing. This, and the size of the other pieces since, make me wonder if it was ever properly cleaned or primed before painting. I tried the POR-15 that was mentioned earlier and it worked great. Just remember that the POR-15 is on a top coat, but a promer. It needs something else on top. Whatever you use, buy enough for all the metal, you'll need it.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #14

Hi tlmg camping, I have the Mustang mentioned earlier on this post, and I thought you actually do not necessarily need to top coat Por 15. It's just that the black Por 15 coating will discolor over time- when and if exposed to light. I painted several areas on my car with this stuff only, like the floorboards (both sides), and the inside of the doors. I did however top coat the framerails and the wheelhouse areas, as well as the radiator support and battery box areas. 9 years since I did this, and so far it's holding up very well! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #15

I did get the POR-15 on Ebay and it wasn't as pricey there, still have over $150 of the stuff now.
Duals/turbo back
AirAid intake
Diablo Chip
Steamintrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:24 PM   #16

I am using the POR-15 and it says that if it is exposed to sunlight it should be top coated> I am using their Chassis Coat and it seems to be working out well. It is a pain in the butt to do and they are not kidding about not getting any of the stuff on your skin, it has to wear off.
I am only doing the front and tongue now and it does take time with putting on two coats of the POR-15 and one coat of top coat. But it does look pretty good when it is down. I do hope it will last. I am not looking forward to doing the rest of the frame under the trailer but I know I have to, everytime I reach under there I can feel the rust on the frame rails.
I still don't think FR gave much thought in prepping and painting the frame steel.

Duals/turbo back
AirAid intake
Diablo Chip
Steamintrains is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wildwood