Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2019, 05:52 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyfltri View Post
Those are the only two I've ever seen. The one on the right is a threaded city water connection. Not sure what he is talking about then.
Actually there are many now that have the same fitting as the "City Water" and you hook a hose to it and you either have to turn a valve or rely on the pressure in the hose to fill the FW. All my TT's have only had the Gravity fill ports like you show.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:01 AM   #62

This is exactly the unit I have. There are others if you rummage around a little.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Fresh-Wa...01-0035VP.html
Jan Gerstner. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:13 AM   #63
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebeauc View Post
Can someone post a photo illustrating the threaded freshwater fill?
Not that I doubt s manufacturer is above installing such a ridiculous system, but I have been around RV's my entire life and I have never seen that setup.
Seems very odd that the tank is in the front and the full is in the back.
Here's one:

Here's another:
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:24 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyfltri View Post
Here you go left side is fresh water tank.
Here is mine, the city port is on the right (with hose), FW tank fill is left. The removable screen is in my hand. See the anti-backwash valve inside. I reverse the domed filter so it opens the valve allowing gravity filling. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190327_091825.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	199943

2022 Coachmen Apex Remote 16R (Remo)
New Hampshire
Wood2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:24 AM   #65

very odd

Learn something new everyday.
Something else to consider prior to my next RV purchase.
If someone can explain to the logic behind this set up please do.
mebeauc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:09 AM   #66
Site Team

Quote:
I believe the logic is that you simply hook up a hose to the fresh water fill and turn it on to fill your freshwater tank.

I never use my freshwater tank so I don't know how it compares to having a gravity fill.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:37 AM   #67
Misfit Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
OK, if the fresh water inlet is threaded for water hose, it's not a gravity feed inlet as is mine. I think yours MAY need to be pressurized to be filled.
X2
Misfit011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:09 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit011 View Post
X2
Yes, takes some pressure to overcome the anti-backwash valve. Annoying when you want to gravity fill.

New Hampshire
Old 03-28-2019, 11:11 AM   #69
D W

Quote:
I don't think there is any logic to it other than the assembly line not having to provision regular gravity fill fixtures. I'm wondering how the air in the FW tank is displaced when you connect a pressurized water hose to it?

So, if you're boondocking, and you need to add water to your FW tank, you will have to find a water hose.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:14 AM   #70

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I looked at several videos of this model of trailer.

There is a Gravity fill above the wheels.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood2Cook View Post
Yes, takes some pressure to overcome the anti-backwash valve. Annoying when you want to gravity fill.
Here's my FW gravity fill setup. Works great but need to reverse the screen at the inlet, the screen will then cause the valve to open. 5 gallons takes about 5 min.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190328_123253.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	200024Click image for larger version

Name:	20190328_123535.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	200025

New Hampshire
Old 03-28-2019, 12:12 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I don't think there is any logic to it other than the assembly line not having to provision regular gravity fill fixtures. I'm wondering how the air in the FW tank is displaced when you connect a pressurized water hose to it?

So, if you're boondocking, and you need to add water to your FW tank, you will have to find a water hose.
any air is going to escape thru the overflow fitting.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:11 PM   #73

Forgive me for not wanting to read all 8 pages of responses before posting this, so if someone has already said this, never mind. My new Rockwood has a gravity feed tank fill near the front of the coach, above the tank, as would be logical. This inlet does not have a screen and looks different (it is larger in diameter) than the following inlets.

On the rear of the coach, there are three water connections with hose threads and inlet screens. One is the city water connection. The second is not labeled and is a place to connect city water in order to wash out the black water tank.

The third is a connection for winterizing the coach and is designed to suction antifreeze into the water system to winterize it when the built is water pump is turned on.

Is it possible that you have over looked the gravity fill inlet closer to the front of the coach and are trying to pour water into the winterization port or the black water flush port?
Gene W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:59 PM   #74

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I believe the logic is that you simply hook up a hose to the fresh water fill and turn it on to fill your freshwater tank.

I never use my freshwater tank so I don't know how it compares to having a gravity fill.
If you have a gravity fill AND an anti-freeze fill, you can sometimes fill your FW tank with your city water hose by using the AF fill. Attach your city water hose to the AF fill. If you have separate AF fill and FW tank valves to your water pump, open both of them and water will flow from AF fill to the FW tank. If you have a 3-way valve where you chose the pump suction to be either from the FW tank or the AF fill, position it half-way between the two positions and you can probably get water to flow from the AF fill to the FW tank.

My Roo had the two separate valves and my Mini Lite has the 3 way valve. I can/could fill my FW tank from my AF fill on both of them.

See the brown dotted ovals on page 1 of the attached generic plumbing pic and the words of wisdom in the brown text box.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Plumbing pic.pdf (125.1 KB, 21 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 04:04 PM   #75

Similar problem with my Crusader

My gravity fill would only fill to about 1/3 then water comes out the vent. I discovered one day by messing with it in the driveway, that if I push air into the vent momentarily that the system then lets me continue to fill to the top. I haven't figured out completely why this is, but I now use a small hand pump (used to fill kiddie pool toys). When the water comes out the vent the first time I stop and pump several shots of air into the vent, then continue filling. I always know when it's working when I then hear gurgling from the vent.
I can only guess the vent line is crimped, but why does it work after a small shot of air?
HunsbergerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:45 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunsbergerS View Post
My gravity fill would only fill to about 1/3 then water comes out the vent. I discovered one day by messing with it in the driveway, that if I push air into the vent momentarily that the system then lets me continue to fill to the top. I haven't figured out completely why this is, but I now use a small hand pump (used to fill kiddie pool toys). When the water comes out the vent the first time I stop and pump several shots of air into the vent, then continue filling. I always know when it's working when I then hear gurgling from the vent.
I can only guess the vent line is crimped, but why does it work after a small shot of air?
I'm guessing you have a loop seal (like a P-trap) in the vent line. The shot of air clears out the loop seal and you're good to go again.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:07 PM   #77

Solved

Hi folks! It's the OP again.

I finally got out to the lease to check on the trailer and do some chores. I took with me three filled 7-gallon water containers and an A/C-powered pump from Harbor Freight. I connected a 10' drinking water hose to the pump's input port and a 25' drinking water hose from the pump's output port to the FW fill port on the side of the trailer. Plugged in the pump and ... voila ... in no time at all the pump had sucked all 21 gallons into the FW tank!!

So, the final answer is that this particular travel trailer ... a 2015 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 241QBXL (to be exact) ... has two threaded, screened water ports. One is for filling the FW tank and the other is for connecting to city water. It does NOT have a FW gravity fill port.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions! Sorry it took so long to get this resolved.
chetcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water