Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2019, 08:23 PM   #1

Fresh water inlet will not let water in

Hi,

I have searched the forum for this issue with no luck. I have found similar problems but not exactly like mine.

First of all ... I'm a newbie. This is my first trailer. I just recently bought a new-to-me 2015 Wildwood X-Lite 241QBXL.

During the walk through the tech told me he partially filled the fresh tank to test the water system.

This weekend I brought some water jugs to my trailer to try to gravity fill the fresh water tank via the fresh water inlet. I attached my hose, climbed a ladder to get some height, put a funnel on the other end of the hose and started pouring water in.

The water filled up the hose and then it filled up the funnel. I moved the hose around thinking that maybe it was a gravity problem but nothing I did would help the water actually go into the inlet. It's as if the inlet is blocked.

What is going on? I know that the fresh water tank is underneath the bed which is no where near the fresh water inlet so I'm wondering if maybe gravity feed just won't work?
chetcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:47 PM   #2

I have to ask. Is it possible the tank is full?
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:50 PM   #3
Site Team

Can you post a pic of your "fresh water inlet"?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #4

It is not. The panel reports it is empty. Plus, I removed the board above the tank to see if perhaps there was a port that I could poke a hose through to fill it directly (there's not). It was definitely empty when I looked at it.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:58 PM   #5

Sorry, I do not have a picture of the ports. On this model the city water port and the fresh water intake port are next too each other on the driver's side toward the back of the unit (the fresh water tank is under the bed near the front). Each port has a cover and is threaded to accept a standard size water hose. Each has a little rounded screen to prevent insects from getting in (at least that's what I think the screen is for).

I found a pic on the internet. Both ports look exactly like this: https://pantherrvproducts.com/jr-pro...olonial-white/
Old 03-17-2019, 09:07 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetcampbell View Post
Sorry, I do not have a picture of the ports. On this model the city water port and the fresh water intake port are next too each other on the driver's side toward the back of the unit (the fresh water tank is under the bed near the front). Each port has a cover and is threaded to accept a standard size water hose. Each has a little rounded screen to prevent insects from getting in (at least that's what I think the screen is for).

I found a pic on the internet. Both ports look exactly like this: https://pantherrvproducts.com/jr-pro...olonial-white/
OK, if the fresh water inlet is threaded for water hose, it's not a gravity feed inlet as is mine. I think yours MAY need to be pressurized to be filled.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:17 PM   #7

That sure how it seems. The guy at the dealership partially filled it. So it must take water and my guess would be that he used a hose attached to a faucet. I guess then that I'm going to need to get a small water pump to pump water from my jug to my trailer. I can only hope that the pump generates enough pressure!
Old 03-17-2019, 09:22 PM   #8

I have used one of these Harbor Freight pumps connected to a garden hose... works good if you have 12 Volts close by
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pump.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	199021  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Hi,

I have searched the forum for this issue with no luck. I have found similar problems but not exactly like mine.

First of all ... I'm a newbie. This is my first trailer. I just recently bought a new-to-me 2015 Wildwood X-Lite 241QBXL.

During the walk through the tech told me he partially filled the fresh tank to test the water system.

This weekend I brought some water jugs to my trailer to try to gravity fill the fresh water tank via the fresh water inlet. I attached my hose, climbed a ladder to get some height, put a funnel on the other end of the hose and started pouring water in.

The water filled up the hose and then it filled up the funnel. I moved the hose around thinking that maybe it was a gravity problem but nothing I did would help the water actually go into the inlet. It's as if the inlet is blocked.

What is going on? I know that the fresh water tank is underneath the bed which is no where near the fresh water inlet so I'm wondering if maybe gravity feed just won't work?

I know this might be a silly question, but why are you trying to fill the city water tank this way?
If you need water, why not just fill the FRESH water tank ?
Teresa CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa CAL View Post
I know this might be a silly question, but why are you trying to fill the city water tank this way?
If you need water, why not just fill the FRESH water tank ?
I am trying to fill the fresh water tank. And the problem is that it won't take water when I try to gravity fill it.

My unit only has three tanks: fresh water, gray waste water, black waste water. It does have a city water intake, but my understanding is that it provides water to the sinks, shower and toilet using the city water pressure but it does not fill the fresh water tank.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:42 PM   #11

Does your "Fresh Water Fill" have a fitting that you attach a garden hose to ? Or just a large cap you remove and a large hole for an opening ?

Just looked at pic. He need pressurized water to fill his tank...Correct ?
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Does you "Fresh Water Fill" have a fitting that you attach a garden hose to ? Or just a large cap you remove and a large hole for an opening ?
It is threaded to receive a water hose and it has a little bug screen. Earlier in the thread I posted a link to a photo of the fitting.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I have used one of these Harbor Freight pumps connected to a garden hose... works good if you have 12 Volts close by
Thanks for that. I have shopped there before so I'll definitely take a look at this pump. Gotta check my email for the coupons! ha
Old 03-17-2019, 09:49 PM   #14

I don't have that type, others on here do, but I don't think that's "Gravity" and requires pressure to fill it. Gravity fill is a large cap and you can just shove a hose down the hole and fill the Fresh tank.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:50 PM   #15

Hrm, using a pump raises a new question: If the pump puts out 290 GPH is that too much for the trailer's lines and should I use a regulator?
Old 03-17-2019, 09:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Hrm, using a pump raises a new question: If the pump puts out 290 GPH is that too much for the trailer's lines and should I use a regulator?
That's 4.8 gals/min ? Your house water puts out more than that.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
That's 4.8 gals/min ? Your house water puts out more than that.
I read that you can get a general idea of the PSI generated by a pump by multiplying it's maximum head by 0.433. This Harbor Freight pump says it has a total head lift of 40 feet (meaning it can lift a 40-foot column of water). So 40*0.433 is 17.32 PSI ... easily handled by the wimpiest of travel trailer water systems. So a regular should not be needed.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:30 PM   #18

My FRESH water fill hole is like this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=fres...umu0gW9Er4TPKM
My CITY water has a threaded opening for the hose, like the pic you posted.

(Sorry if I sound dense, just trying to make sure it isn’t something simple).
Old 03-17-2019, 10:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa CAL View Post
My FRESH water fill hole is like this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=fres...umu0gW9Er4TPKM
My CITY water has a threaded opening for the hose, like the pic you posted.

(Sorry if I sound dense, just trying to make sure it isn’t something simple).

That's what I wished I had. But both my city water and my fresh water intake are threaded and do not look like that picture.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:36 PM   #20

Ok, yeah that seems strange.

Tags
fresh water, water