Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2018, 05:21 PM   #1

Fresh Water Tank overflow drain

I haven’t filled my fresh water tank.
I hook my city water line up.
Within 30-45 minutes water starts coming out of my fresh water tank overflow drain (which is located next to my fresh water tank low point valve)
I’m assuming the only way this can happen is that my city water is flowing into my fresh water tank through my fresh water pump.

1) How does that happen? (Is there a faulty one way “valve” somewhere in or near my fresh water pump)
2) How do I fix this?
Bunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 05:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkie View Post
Within 30-45 minutes water starts coming out of my fresh water tank overflow drain (which is located next to my fresh water tank low point valve)
I’m assuming the only way this can happen is that my city water is flowing into my fresh water tank through my fresh water pump.

1) How does that happen? (Is there a faulty one way “valve” somewhere in or near my fresh water pump)
2) How do I fix this?
This situation is reported about 11 times per week. You could probably look in the Plumbing and Water Systems & Fixtures - Forest River Forums sub-forum and find several occurrences this month. I did a search and found at least this one ==> http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nk-174068.html. Execute the procedure listed herein and see if it doesn't help. If it doesn't, do a Search for "check valve" and read other options.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 05:40 PM   #3

There is a check valve in the water pump. The water pressure from the city water line is pushing this open to let water into the freshwater tank and over flowing it. Shut city water off and for now use water out of water tank.

1) Do you have a water pressure reducer on a hose from the city water to the RV..... A BiG must, as all campground and city water pressures can be very high and blow out your RV water lines....

2) There also may be some type of debris at the RV water pump check valve and keeping it slightly open. Shut city water off and use the water pump and pump water out of the fresh water tank. This may flush out the debris. If it does not flush it out, you may have to remove the check valve and clean it out..

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:08 PM   #4
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Or you can buy one of these (see photos below) at Camping World or any other RV parts supplier for $10-$15 bucks and put it on in 5 minutes without any tools and be done with it forever!

And I'm a non-handyman and I did this one myself!

Get the brass one...you won't regret it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterpumpCheckValve-P4161994.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	192055   Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterpumpCheckValve-P4161997.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	192056   Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterpumpCheckValve-P4161998.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	192057   Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterpumpCheckValve-P4161999.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	192058  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkie View Post

2) How do I fix this?
Welcome to the forum.

You don't really have a "Fresh water tank low point valve".
You have a FW tank drain and a "FW tank overflow/vent"

Somewhere under your rig are "2 low point drains". Red (hot) one Blue (cold)
They drain the water piping only.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:36 AM   #6

I wished I had a dollar for every post that comes up with this problem? I could go and buy a 24 packI think this has got to be the 10th this week
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, fresh water, tank, water, water tank