Old 10-03-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
Wildwood LE 29RGSS

Fridge will only work on GAS--not ELECT.

I have the Dometic fridge with freezer on top. It did fall under the recall but it was fixed. Here is my problem and PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Like most new models it has the option to run on Auto. Like most I prefer to run it on electric when I can to save gas. FOr some reason mine will no cool on electric. All fuses are good. The fridge is getting both 120V and 12V. The electronic control unit above the freezer gets power. All indicator lights do light up.

It FREEZES and COOLS perfectly fine on gas operation.....but not electric.

Please help!!

Old 10-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #2

Sounds like it may be the circuit board to me.That is if you have checked the reset button[not sure that it has one] fuses and element itself. Is it still under warranty?

Old 10-04-2008, 01:20 PM   #3
Wildwood LE 29RGSS

I took the outside cover off and I have not had the fix-it done apparently because I do not have the big metal plate like the one in the picture above. THat was part of the Dometic recall.

HOWEVER........there is the very thin blue wire on the right side that has the terminal broken off and not connected to anything. It is just hanging there. Being so thin I presume it is part the 12v system. I suspect this may be the problem.

Any thought by anyone?
Old 10-04-2008, 04:48 PM   #4
Head Rambler

That thin blue wire is not supposed to be connected. Ours has the same thing and it bothered me when I found it until I found out it wasn't supposed to be connected.

As for your unit not cooling on AC. If you know how to use a multimeter to check resistance you can check the element. Unhook the power and unplug the wires going to the element (it's the metal tube sticking out the side of the burner assembly with wiring to it). Take the meter and set it for ohms and read across the element. It should read low ohms. If it reads infinity the element is bad. Another possibility is the high temp cutoff switch. You can check it the same way. it should read almost zero across it.

Be sure to remove power before you attempt any of these test.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:04 PM   #5

I had one in my old TT it had the heating element burned out .It was easy to replace and i ordered it from dometic i`m thinking it was only 20 -30 dollars to replace
Old 10-06-2008, 08:42 AM   #6
Wildwood LE 29RGSS

Question.....is there a separate heating element for electric and gas?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
Head Rambler

Yes, there's a burner at the bottom of the unit for gas operation and an electric element higher up on the cylinder inside the unit.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:45 PM   #8
2008 Flagstaff Pup

I don't intend to insult anyone with this post, however have you checked if the frig is plugged in? Also, have you checked the other outlets in the camper? We had an issue with our frig not working on electric and we came to discover that our GFCI outlet was broken. If this doesn't work, then the entire circuit is down.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #9
Wildwood LE 29RGSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShmrckShimp View Post
I don't intend to insult anyone with this post, however have you checked if the frig is plugged in? Also, have you checked the other outlets in the camper? We had an issue with our frig not working on electric and we came to discover that our GFCI outlet was broken. If this doesn't work, then the entire circuit is down.
No offense taken. Yes, I unplugged the fridge and plugged in a fan....it worked. I have spoken with Dometic and have a RV service guy coming out Friday to do my recall. While here he will also replace either the heating element or whatever is wrong.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:23 PM   #10

Let us know what he fines for future reference.

Tags
wildwood