Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #1

furnace problems

I have been having problems with my furnance in a 2015 Wildwood Heritage Glen. When it's cold and I run my furnace it will run most of the night but sometime during the night it will shut off. I try turning it off at the thermostat controls but it won't come on untill i rest the fuse for it. Doesn't make sense that I would have to reset the fuse in order to get it running again.... any ideas?
whatzleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:09 PM   #2

i have had similar issues. runs till the camper is up to temp, shuts off but never restarts. If i use the thermostat (turn off, wait 15 seconds turn back on) it will fire back up again but usually wont lite, it it does spark the gas it only lasts a short time. Of course each time i get home or to a dealer it works fine. currently its not working at home but cant get to dealer due to kids sports and what not.

hopefully one of uses gets this resolved and can help each other
bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:40 PM   #3

Your system may be tripping the circuit for some reason. I would check all the connections, clean them and put a little smear of dielectric on the contacts.
Dirty or incomplete contacts including grounds build resistance/heat and trip circuit breaker (fuse). The breaker itself may be dirty or bad.
Be sure to disconnect all power sources before messing with wiring.
My brothers TT would just go dead every once in a while. He would shut everything down and start checking things. Finding no blown fuses or tripped breakers he would turn the power on and everthing would be fine. Turned out to be the positive side of 12v circuit was not crimped at the inverter.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #4
Site Team

Whatzleft & bpa098 -- Which thermostat do you have? Is it a Dometic digital?
Old 10-18-2016, 07:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Whatzleft & bpa098 -- Which thermostat do you have? Is it a Dometic digital?
i would have to look later but yes i believe so. I know it is digital and black. think there is two buttons, one scrolls from fan, cool, furnace and off. The other adjust fan from auto, high and low, or to adjust temps.

looks like this - javascriptopupWindow('http://www.adventurerv.net/dometic-single-zone-lcd-control-thermostat-3313192019-pi-32899.html')

i have been wondering if that could be the issue.
bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:29 AM   #6
Site Team

There have been several reports of the same issue, and it turns out they have the same thermostat. If I remember correctly, it's been either the thermostat itself or the control box in the A/C.

You can try initializing the thermostat and see if that helps. It's worked in a few cases. The process for initializing the thermostat is in the manual. If you don't have one, it's easy to find online.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #7

ok I will try that, my thermostat is white but looks the same. I never blow a fuse but it seems the only way I can rest the unit so the fan will come on and it produce heat is to rest the fuse
Old 10-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #8
Site Team

Please let us know if that works for you.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:00 PM   #9

Well got back up to the camper tonight and did the initialization so I will see how it does overnight as it's supposed to get down to about 40 degrees.

Something new I discovered tonight sitting in the living area we could hear something clicking from the air unit in the ceiling. Sounds like some kind of control trying to pick up in that unit. Thermostat is on furnace and the heat is blowing. Clicks a few times for a minute or so, then quits, maybe 20 minutes later clicks again. Really just seems to have a mind of its own, no real consistency of that makes sense...
Bad thermo maybe?

Will update this post in the morning as far as my original problem. Sheesh
Old 10-22-2016, 09:07 PM   #10
Site Team

We've heard about the 'clicking' in the A/C before. If I remember correctly its been a bad control board every time.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:07 AM   #11

Yeah it clicks in the a.c. unit right before the furnance comes on, and right before it goes off. This is my third a.c. unit in less than two years! What does it have to do with the furnce staying on, it was off again this morning, reset it by turning it off, then back on at the thermo.
Thanks
Old 10-23-2016, 09:24 AM   #12

The AC really doesn't have anything to do with the furnace however the two have the thermostat in common and it seems when the stat call for heat or call to turn the heat off a signal is going to the AC control. Why I have no idea
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
The AC really doesn't have anything to do with the furnace however the two have the thermostat in common and it seems when the stat call for heat or call to turn the heat off a signal is going to the AC control. Why I have no idea
Common ground to/from the thermostat?
Old 10-23-2016, 04:24 PM   #14

So control board or thermostat? Also the original problem is furnace kicking out overnight while on. Takes turning the furnace off at the thermo, waiting 20 secs then turning back on. This is a pretty big rv with a fireplace in the rear, is it going to maybe take running both so the furnace doesn't have to work as hard maybe? Idk. Need help!
Old 10-23-2016, 04:55 PM   #15

Got to Home Depot or Lowes and but a digital thermostat, install as per the directions.

Therm is way cheaper than the control board, if it does not work right you are out less that 20 buck at that point and you will know what to do.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #16

Good Advice, Mr. Idaho.
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Progressive Industries EMS
Sea Eagle 420 Tandem Inflatable Kayak
Jimsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:26 PM   #17
Jack of All Trades

The Home Depot/lowes thermostat won't work with a Dometic system. The Dometic thermostat/AC uses a data link, not open/close contacts. To change to a non-Dometic thermostat requires rewiring between the thermostat and the AC unit, and changing the control board in the AC unit. Not an easy change.

The AC unit is involved with the furnace operation (in a Dometic or Airexcel Suburban system) as it provides the contact closure to operate the furnace (the furnace requires a simple contact closure to operate).

If you have to shut the thermostat off or turn the temperature down to get it to restart, it sounds like the furnace is "locking-out". The furnace tries to light three times, if it doesn't light, it locks-out, one has to be reset (turned off or temperature set below ambient to reset).

There are other faults that can cause a lock-out. I suggest you review the operating and troubleshooting section of your furnace manual.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatzleft View Post
I have been having problems with my furnance in a 2015 Wildwood Heritage Glen. When it's cold and I run my furnace it will run most of the night but sometime during the night it will shut off. I try turning it off at the thermostat controls but it won't come on untill i rest the fuse for it. Doesn't make sense that I would have to reset the fuse in order to get it running again.... any ideas?
Had this problem with my Roo 19 the first year I had it. Had the crappy Suburban analog thermostat. I replaced it with a Honeywell digital and never another problem. Can't explain it, other than, "it works."

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace