Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #1

Getting Ready for Winter

Hi ,
We just purchased a 2011 Wildwood with the outside kitchen .Sadly the weather is getting cold so we winterized the trailer today.It is being stored outside . I have a couple of questions :
1) Should we put kitty litter in foil trays & place on the floor throughout the trailer to keep dampness to a minimum ?
2) Should we close the blinds or leave them open ?
3) We have a LCD TV in the unit-should we leave it there ?Also is it ok to leave the remotes there over the winter months ?

We had different opinions from other campers on how to handle these things .We need expert advise here .

Thanks
missy9249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #2

Never heard the kittly liter idea, I would go with a Dri-Z-Aire. I don't think kitty litter was designed to remove moisture from air and I just don't like the smell of it. Makes it smell like you have a cat even though you dont.

Yes close the blinds, keep the sun and UV off the interior. If the LCD is easily removable then take it out. We use our smaller one in the house during the winter and when we aren't using the RV. This would necessitate taking the remote with you too. However most electronics should be just fine in the cold I am unsure about damage to LCD or Plasma screens in really cold temperatures. Best to check with the manufacutrer of the TV for the recommended low and high tempertures for the item.

Welcome to the forums.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy9249 View Post
Hi ,
We just purchased a 2011 Wildwood with the outside kitchen .Sadly the weather is getting cold so we winterized the trailer today.It is being stored outside . I have a couple of questions :
1) Should we put kitty litter in foil trays & place on the floor throughout the trailer to keep dampness to a minimum ?
2) Should we close the blinds or leave them open ?
3) We have a LCD TV in the unit-should we leave it there ?Also is it ok to leave the remotes there over the winter months ?

We had different opinions from other campers on how to handle these things .We need expert advise here .

Thanks
Friend of mine has been doing the kitty litter thing for years, course they also have CATS! He swears the stuff keeps the inside of the camper dry. Never tried it myself. Camper is right next to the house, so every once in a while we go out, plug it in and warm it up. Also take my LCD tv's inside- mainly cause we use them in the house while not camping. Left the small bedroom one in the camper last year, and it was pretty cold in PA- no problems.
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
Wanna Be Camper

First welcome to the forum.

If the TV is easily removed I would take it inside you know what they say "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" Never heard of the kitty litter thing but it is dry here in the winter but can hit -40. We typically need humidifiers it gets that dry. And I second closing all the blinds.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:46 AM   #5

Thank you so much !! I bought the Dri-Z crystals but I could not find the unit for the crystals anywhere .A lady at the rv store recommended that I place a colander in a foil pan (I used a small foil roasting pan ) & pour the crystals in the colander . I placed 2 out . Hopefully this will keep our trailer free from dampness .Oh & I closed the blinds but I left the TV there -hopefully it will be ok .
missy9249 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wildwood