Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2017, 08:54 AM   #1

Gfci plugs won't work

I have a 27reis wildwood and the gfci in the bathroom wouldn't reset. All the gfci plugs in the camper now don't work. I tried replacing the outlet 2ce. First time I thought I had a bad plug. Got a different brand new plug and now it is lit up green but the outlets still don't work. Checked fuses and breakers and all is good. This is driving me crazy!
dboshibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:15 AM   #2

Is the one in the bathroom bad, or just the outlets downstream? Does it trip when you reset it or does it stay powered up? You will likely have to remove the outlet to troubleshoot it with a volt meter. If it resets and doesn't trip then most likely a bad GFCI. If it does immediately trip the could be something downstream shorting to ground. Disconnect the downstream feed and see if it will then reset.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:16 AM   #3

i'm not an electrician. you all the gcfi outlets do not work and implied that the actual gcfi device is the bathroom outlet and the other that don't work are chained off it. perhaps the problem is not with the bathroom outlet but further down the chain. since you replaced the bathroom outlet you know how to take it out. try disconnecting the outlets after it so that it is the only outlet on the circuit and see if it will reset. the wires to it should come direct from the breaker panel. if it resets then move on to the next receptacle in the chain and add it in and see if the cgfi will still reset. you should be able to track the issue this way, though it will take some time.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:17 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Is the CAMPER plugged into a GFCI outlet?

GFCI outlets, sometimes, do not play well together (more than one in a circuit).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:19 AM   #5

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
Check that the shore power you are connected to is properly wired, i.e. hot and neutral are not reversed. You can get a simple $5-$7 tester at hardware store to validate this. ( sample image below )

The GFCI device will not reset if it is not connected to a properly wired and grounded circuit.

If that checks out okay, another area to check is the outdoor outlet, possibly it has moisture in it, and/or some insect has gotten in and is helping trap moisture.

Other areas to check, if you are comfortable/confident working with electricity, would be the neutral and ground connections for that circuit, at the power control/circuit breaker panel.
Attached Images

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:44 AM   #6

I have a unit that I plug into the 30 amp park outlet before hooking up the camper and it will tell me if the circuit is good. All is good there.
This all started when my wife was blow drying her hair while the ac was on. She was using the gfci plug that is on our island in the kitchen. It tripped the breaker on the camp power. I reset that and all the gfci plugs now don't work. Should I try replacing the outlet she was plugged Into? I've only tried replacing the main gfci in the bathroom since that is the one that has the reset for the whole circuit.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:00 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboshibby View Post
I have a unit that I plug into the 30 amp park outlet before hooking up the camper and it will tell me if the circuit is good. All is good there.
This all started when my wife was blow drying her hair while the ac was on. She was using the gfci plug that is on our island in the kitchen. It tripped the breaker on the camp power. I reset that and all the gfci plugs now don't work. Should I try replacing the outlet she was plugged Into? I've only tried replacing the main gfci in the bathroom since that is the one that has the reset for the whole circuit.
There aught to be a rule banning hair dryers and curling irons from 30 amp campers. ARRRG. Sorry for the vent

Sounds like the circuit was severely overloaded (something else might have been "on" at the same time as well). You will need to do some troubleshooting with a multimeter starting in the fuse panel looking for loose, cooked wiring, and work towards the last outlet in the GFCI chain.

Kill power to the camper and open the main panel. With a number 2 square bit (or correctly sized common) screw driver, inspect and tighten all connections. If you find any that look like these pictures, you will need a fair amount of electrical experience to repair burnt wires, so be warned.

Once you are sure the panel is good, restore power and look for 120VAC coming from the breaker. Kill power again and pull the GFCI outlet from the wall and check for 120VAC there. If it is one of those "push the entire wire into the back types commonly used in RVs your job can become quite complicated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ALOvht04JS.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	145782   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6063.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	145783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Miswired Outlet.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	672.4 KB
ID:	145786  
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:04 AM   #8

Do as suggested above and disconnect the downstream feed from the GFCI in the bathroom and see if the bath will reset. If so then troubleshoot the downstream outlets. The one that blew would be a good place to start.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:11 AM   #9

Quote:
I have a 27reis wildwood and the gfci in the bathroom wouldn't reset. All the gfci plugs in the camper now don't work. I tried replacing the outlet 2ce. First time I thought I had a bad plug. Got a different brand new plug and now it is lit up green but the outlets still don't work. Checked fuses and breakers and all is good. This is driving me crazy!
GFCI plugs need to be wired correctly. Typically there are 5 terminals or connections. 1 is the ground and is obvious, then there are two white and two black terminals. The new plug will be marked, usually a warning tape over the white and black terminal that is intended for additional plugs. The power supply or load need to go on the other two. Usually the ground is at the bottom and the load is the top leaving the middle two for additional recepticals. My guess is that the power supply is on the wrong (white & Black) terminals.
Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:20 AM   #10

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1808.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	145789
This is how it was originally wired. When I replaced the outlet I wired it the same way.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:33 AM   #11

i can't tell from the image but you will need to ensure the load (wire from the breaker) is hooked to the load side of the GFCI. I suspect the load on the GFCI is closest to your as you took the picture but you should confirm that in some way. Markings on the receptacle of instructions that came with it. To check which is load, unplug the trailer, unhook the wires insuring they are not touching each other or anything else, plug the trailer back in, make sure all 110v breakers are on and then very carefully check the voltage on each pair (black & white) with the volt meter set to 200vAC. you should have one pair reading ~120v which is the load and the other pair reading zero.
Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:57 PM   #12

We basically had the same problem with our brand new Flagstaff. My husband figured out there was a wire from the main outlet to the next plug that has a dead short. Probably a screw ran through it in the building. We know where it is, but are taking for the warranty work tomorrow. Wish us luck. Husband will probably bring back home and fix himself. He has loaded up a roll of 14/2 wire (which is what it is wired with) so they don't have any excuses. ha, ha.
gdoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:15 PM   #13

Just to make sure, you said the breakers looked OK. Turn them off and back on again. Sometimes they trip but don't looked like they tripped. ran into that before.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:12 PM   #14
D W

Quote:
The first thing I would check is the outlet your wife was using. Disconnect all power and pull the outlet apart. Chances are that 15A outlet got hot, started to melt internally and tripped the breaker. A 1500W blow dryer will draw nearly 14 amps. Now the GFCI sees a ground fault. If that is what you find, replace it with a household type NEMA 5 outlet from HD or Lowes. The outlets in RV's are cheap Chinese crap.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Just to make sure, you said the breakers looked OK. Turn them off and back on again. Sometimes they trip but don't looked like they tripped. ran into that before.
X2. I just had the same problem and found one of the A/C circuit breakers was tripped. Check them all again and cycle them off and on one at a time.
rcla2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:39 PM   #16

I had the same problem with a different camper i had pull the the breaker box out and found a loose wire tighten all of them and didnt have any more problem. While driving the camper bounce around that could loosen some wires
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote