Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2016, 11:48 AM   #1

Has anyone installed a slide awning where there was none?

I'm new to the RV world this year so I'm still learning a lot. I've noticed that some RVs have slide awnings and some done. Mine doesn't. I think it is a nice feature and would do a lot to prevent too much water and debris from potentially intruding or causing damage. I clean the slide off before closing up every time and I see a slide awning saving me lots of trouble. So my question is if anyone has installed a slide awning where there was none before. A youtube search seems only to yield how to videos with people replacing old awnings, not new installations. Your wisdom and guidance are appreciated. Thanks!

Tow Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Travel Trailer: 2017 Heritage Glen 27BH
SecretAgentMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:57 AM   #2

I had one installed by the dealer. I looked at the install instructions and it appears easy to do but is a two person job. On my slide out it cost about $1000 installed.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73 gears
2O12 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:58 PM   #3

Are you asking about a slide topper or an awning that extends from the slide out?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan View Post
So my question is if anyone has installed a slide awning where there was none before. A youtube search seems only to yield how to videos with people replacing old awnings, not new installations.
when we bought our tt it didn't have that topper either and the dealer didn't have the black material that we needed to match the black color of our awning, ..... we were 425 miles from home and couldn't wait over the weekend for him to get it in,.....the link below is where I bought my 9.5' topper from,...... for some reason, now 9' and 9.5' have been removed from their selection,... it really is a two man operation, but can be done by one, I did,..... for info, I did a lot of searching and also found that the YouTube videos all pertain to replacing the material, not an original install,.... but watching them you can get a good idea of what to do, .... I would let a dealer do it, but not at $1000,........ we bought a new tt and our dealer was going to add it for $400, .... it cost me $350 plus $50 for the rail to attach it to the tt, so I was out my time and the trouble of figuring how to do it and then doing it,...... let them do it if the price is reasonable,.....

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Soler...ide+out+awning

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
when we bought our tt it didn't have that topper either and the dealer didn't have the black material that we needed to match the black color of our awning, ..... we were 425 miles from home and couldn't wait over the weekend for him to get it in,.....the link below is where I bought my 9.5' topper from,...... for some reason, now 9' and 9.5' have been removed from their selection,... it really is a two man operation, but can be done by one, I did,..... for info, I did a lot of searching and also found that the YouTube videos all pertain to replacing the material, not an original install,.... but watching them you can get a good idea of what to do, .... I would let a dealer do it, but not at $1000,........ we bought a new tt and our dealer was going to add it for $400, .... it cost me $350 plus $50 for the rail to attach it to the tt, so I was out my time and the trouble of figuring how to do it and then doing it,...... let them do it if the price is reasonable,.....

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Soler...ide+out+awning

I guess I should have said $1000 Canadian, we pay almost double up here for most things.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73 gears
2O12 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:00 PM   #6

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will see what the dealer charges. Those of you that have added slide awnings (topper cover), no regrets right? Much happier?

Old 08-27-2016, 05:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies guys. I will see what the dealer charges. Those of you that have added slide awnings (topper cover), no regrets right? Much happier?
absolutely no regrets, I consider it a "must have",.... so much that when the dealer couldn't add ours, I included a ladder to be added to that side so I could climb up to see if the slide top was clean before bringing it in,... from the ladder I could see and wouldn't have to get on the trailer roof unless it was necessary to clean the slide top,... thoroughly discussed this with the salesman, of why I wanted it and why on that certain side,... yep, the next day when we went to get the tt, the installer had put the ladder on the wrong side, which meant I did have to get on the trailer roof every time and walk over to the slide to see if it was clean,.... needless to say they became very generous, threw in the ladder, a set of Cipa mirrors and was still apologizing when we drove away,......

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:17 PM   #8

Once in Colorado we had a quickie snow storm. Pulling in the slides with snow on them would have been a major mistakes. The slide toppers paid for themselves that day. They are a must have.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:59 PM   #9

Bought my 5er last December before heading to Florida . Had CW measure for them before we left. In March they had them on sale with reduced installation. Had all 3 installed for about $1500 inc tax.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:07 PM   #10

Slide topper

I tried to have a topper awning put over my slide out and was told Forest River didn't install the supports in the wall frame. Unit had to be ordered that way. Also couldn't install a roof ladder for same reason.

I do have a beautiful 19' patio power awning that came with the unit. Love that.
wildwoodtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:17 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodtraveler View Post
...and was told Forest River didn't install the supports in the wall frame.
Who told you that FR didn't install supports for the slide awning?

I think I'd check with FR about that, if they're not the ones who told you that. I'd want to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:26 PM   #12

Slide covers

I had the dealer install covers over all three slides. Help keep the pine needles and cones off the top.
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:52 PM   #13

Quote:
I tried to have a topper awning put over my slide out and was told Forest River didn't install the supports in the wall frame. Unit had to be ordered that way. Also couldn't install a roof ladder for same reason.

I do have a beautiful 19' patio power awning that came with the unit. Love that.
I have often heard no ladder on units that did not have a walk on roof. However, wood or aluminum there is framing that should be available to attach a topper to I would hope.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:14 PM   #14
Wanna Be Camper

Some units are easier than others, our Flagstaff V-Lite already has the tracks on the trailer to slide the toppers into so it is a pretty simple job. My BIL's Spree does not have the tracks so it seems to vary by brand.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:16 PM   #15

Last week I installed a 8 ft. Solera Topper on our Vengeance 29V. Purchased the topper from CW for $275.00 It including shipping and awning rail. The installation was easy and straight forward. The DW helped with the actual installation. Every screw found something to grab onto, like FR had planed ahead with backers.

Don't know this this picture is upside down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Topper.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	118651  
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:20 PM   #16

Quote:
We've had units with them and we purposefully ordered our last one without. MUCH happier without them. I realize we are in the minority here, but we didn't care for the flapping, the maintenance (another item to sun rot), and in a storm you still get water and debris on your slide. But that's just us
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #17

I got a slide topper from PPL Motorhomes (online)

RV Awnings, Slide Out Covers, Screen Rooms, Sunvisors - PPL Motor Homes

They have been the least expensive for most of my aftermarket purchases.

I installed it myself and had no problems. Came out very nice. Just follow the instructions. As mentioned before, it would have been easier to have a helper.

Some come with covers which I did not get. Wish I would have because the birds keep going under and making nests.

Lots of choices size, color, fabric etc.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:16 PM   #18

slide awnings

awnings for slides are available thru amazon but most require additional install kit
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:18 PM   #19

Quote:

Uh oh, mine didn't come with a ladder for that reason. Sales guy said it was to save weight. Seeing as how I got a hyper-lite it makes sense. I'll have to make sure to ask. Thanks!

Old 08-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Who told you that FR didn't install supports for the slide awning?

I think I'd check with FR about that, if they're not the ones who told you that. I'd want to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak.
Camping World. They also replaced my patio awing with one that had a cover. The old one rotted from the California sun. I would have thought they would want the sale for the slide topper and ladder. Good point though; I will see if I can get anyone to call me back from the Forest River Rialto plant.
wildwoodtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, led, slide