Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #1

Has anyone tried a tankless hot water heater ?

I found an inexpensive one at this link:

RV Camper LP Propane Tan...

However i'm not sure if this is do-able. I am sick of taking 2 minute showers and was thinking of other options.
Thanks
mrbowtie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
Villa Estate 392FLFB

I have seen people use them. some guys use them for an outdoor shower. not sure how you vent it though. that is prob the biggest issue
Old 11-24-2010, 02:32 PM   #3

Hi, I recently ordered a new V-lite 30WFKSS and I am having the Girard tankless water heater installed. This unit drops right in for the Suburban 6gal unit and I understand they will soon have an adapter for the Atwood.

Here is the link to thier site Girard Products, LLC | Green RV Company | Green RV Companies | Sustainable RV Company | Girard Products, LLC | Girard Green RV Products | Eco Friendly RV Companies | Best Green RV Companies | RV Companies The Leader in Green Technology for RV

Thanks

Bryan
BKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKennedy View Post
Hi, I recently ordered a new V-lite 30WFKSS and I am having the Girard tankless water heater installed. This unit drops right in for the Suburban 6gal unit and I understand they will soon have an adapter for the Atwood.

Here is the link to thier site Girard Products, LLC | Green RV Company | Green RV Companies | Sustainable RV Company | Girard Products, LLC | Girard Green RV Products | Eco Friendly RV Companies | Best Green RV Companies | RV Companies The Leader in Green Technology for RV

Thanks

Bryan
Bryan
Keep us posted and take pictures..Ken

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:33 PM   #5

Ooooooo.....me likey!
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:02 AM   #6

Liking that here, too. I just contacted them through the website to see if that will work in a Sandpiper.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaylor View Post
Bryan
Keep us posted and take pictures..Ken
Ken

Will do. I talked with the folks at Girard and they told me that it was designed to be a direct drop in for the Suburban. I installed a Noritz 6.9gpm tankless water heater in my house back in 2006 and it has been working perfect no issues and hot water forever. I think it may start coming standard in RV's at some point. It all works off water flow. When you turn on the hot water it ignites and heats water when you turn it off it shuts down. Will save lots of propane. I will keep everyone here informed on how it goes with mine. That is when I get it, trailer on order should take delivery last week in December... can't wait.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #8
The Old Man

Any idea how much? Would love to have one!

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis View Post
Any idea how much? Would love to have one!
They run around $695 depending on where you purchase from.

Here is a link to a dealer for them.

RV Tankless Water Heater from Girard

Hope this helps

Regards

Bryan
Team Kennedy
Old 11-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #10

Are they only propane?
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #11
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan View Post
Are they only propane?
In the FAQs on their site they say they are only propane. I had the same question. But I think the benefits of tankless would outweigh the advantage of using AC. Besides, this unit only uses propane on demand so it won't be running all the time like a regular water heater.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis View Post
In the FAQs on their site they say they are only propane. I had the same question. But I think the benefits of tankless would outweigh the advantage of using AC. Besides, this unit only uses propane on demand so it won't be running all the time like a regular water heater.
Your correct. They make electric and gas versions for your house but the gas versions are much more efficent. Propane would be the only way you would want it for a RV the way I see it. And also it is only on when you turn the hot faucet on. Glad to see this technology make it into RV's Versions for your home have been around for over 15 years.

BK

Team Kennedy
Old 11-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #13
Anacortesians

I did some basic engineering calculations on these things and I'm very skeptical. Someone identified a 6.9 gpm flow rate which works out (6.9 * 60 * 8) to about 3400 pounds of water per hour. Assuming an inlet temperature of 45 F and a temperature at the shower head of 115F, a heat transfer rate of 235,000 BTU/hr would be needed for continuous operation with no degradation in temperature (3400 * 70).

This works out to about 92 horsepower (235,000/2545) which converts to 68 KW (92*0.746), or 60Amps at 115V.

All the S&B versions I've looked at have needed 220V wiring - maybe this is why?

I don't have data on the calorific value of propane so I don't know how much you'd have to burn per minute to get the equivalent of 68 KW.

Any other engineers on the forum? Get your slings and arrows out - I may have dropped a 12 or a 60 in there someplace.

If DW wants the hot water to last longer when she showers, maybe a much bigger (40-gallon residential type) water heater would be a better idea.

Tags
wildwood