Old 01-14-2019, 04:11 PM   #1

Heat vent or not?

Hi All,
New to the site. We bought a 2019 Wildwood 42DL Grand Lodge back in September and have been going back and forth with the dealer about repairs, etc. One thing I noticed this last time was that there is a vent that appears to be for heat. But, nothing comes out of it when the heat is on. There are 2 vents ( I think) in the bedroom. One is below the wardrobe. The other is in the dresser between the the drawers and the fuse panel/converter. It is the one in the dresser that is not blowing any air. The dealer is trying to tell me that it is not a heat vent, but a vent for the converter. I'm not so sure I believe them because it wouldn't make sense to me for them to put an adjustable direction vent in for the converter. I also don't think it would need to be anywhere near that large. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Steve

Mr Fix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fix View Post
Hi All,
New to the site. We bought a 2019 Wildwood 42DL Grand Lodge back in September and have been going back and forth with the dealer about repairs, etc. One thing I noticed this last time was that there is a vent that appears to be for heat. But, nothing comes out of it when the heat is on. There are 2 vents ( I think) in the bedroom. One is below the wardrobe. The other is in the dresser between the the drawers and the fuse panel/converter. It is the one in the dresser that is not blowing any air. The dealer is trying to tell me that it is not a heat vent, but a vent for the converter. I'm not so sure I believe them because it wouldn't make sense to me for them to put an adjustable direction vent in for the converter. I also don't think it would need to be anywhere near that large. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Steve
I think you are looking at the return air vent for the heater since you said it was "That large" remove the screws and see what behind it.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:18 PM   #3
Site Team

It is possible it is a vent. My outdoor kitchen has two such vents between it and the bathroom to allow the fridge heat to escape the outdoor kitchen. They simply use the same vents as they use through out the RV. Simpler to only use one style vent.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #4

Hi Cavie, thanks for your response. No, the return is actually in the bathroom. It is about a foot square or larger (from memory) . this vent is the same size as the heat vent under the wardrobe. It is about 4" diameter brown directional vent that you can rotate to direct the airflow. What I meant by large was that that it was a 4" vent that I would have expected to be smaller and just be a grate if it was for the converter.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:02 PM   #5
Lacey's Spring, AL

It's quite possible that it's for the Converter since it's Charger function creates heat and needs airflow, especially if it's contained in a tight place with little outside air - My dad has one in the side of the island, where his Converter is located. Looks just like an air conditioner vent that you see in the ceiling. You hear humming from it, too.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx,
100,000+mi since '14, US, Alaska, Canada, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Hi Cavie, thanks for your response. No, the return is actually in the bathroom. It is about a foot square or larger (from memory) . this vent is the same size as the heat vent under the wardrobe. It is about 4" diameter brown directional vent that you can rotate to direct the airflow. What I meant by large was that that it was a 4" vent that I would have expected to be smaller and just be a grate if it was for the converter.
Go it. It is not unusual for A/C ducts and Heter duct to leave the factory unattached. LikmI said, remove the two screw and pull it and see what's there. I could still be a return air for the bed room for when the door is closed.
Just guessing at this point.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
Old 01-14-2019, 06:28 PM   #7

Quote:
I just reread this. You say the return air vent is in the bathroom??? Say it aint so!!!! Never in my 67 years have I heard of a return air in a bathroom. Asside from the obvious, you would also be pulling very humid air directly into the furnace.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:35 PM   #8

Hi Cavie,
Yes, I had multiple concerns with this. One being the humidity Two being the possible odors that may be created in the bathroom. And, three being that with the floor plan design it has, the bathroom door needs to be closed almost all the time because it opens into a hallway. This is one of the things I am thinking about changing. At first I was thinking about putting a vent in the door to improve airflow. But, now considering bringing the return out into the stairway (to the loft)which is right on the other side of the wall from the furnace. I'll have to look it over when I get it back from the dealer. But, yes, a horrible design.. we love the rest of the camper though... :-)
Old 01-15-2019, 02:23 PM   #9
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Go it. It is not unusual for A/C ducts and Heter duct to leave the factory unattached. LikmI said, remove the two screw and pull it and see what's there. I could still be a return air for the bed room for when the door is closed.
Just guessing at this point.
You might try tracing it from the furnace unit back to the vent in question and see if a vent hose even runs that direction or if there is a vacant duct opening not being used off the furnace which you could use (if you wanted to install a hose). I bought a new Sandstorm in 2018 and one of the furnace hoses was "sabotaged" (for lack of a better word) with a 15" section torn out in the middle. Dealer had no explanation but maybe someone having a bad Friday at the factory. I pulled an entire new section of hose through and replaced it; rather than taking it a 4 hour drive each way to the dealer. Attached is a photo to give an idea what my furnace duct attachments look like and the other photo shows the break in the hose before I replaced it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	448.0 KB
ID:	194674   Click image for larger version

Name:	vent 1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	194675  
Old 01-15-2019, 02:27 PM   #10

Can you remove a drawer and see if it's ducted?

lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent