Old 04-03-2016, 05:12 PM   #11

Tow Question

It's a little frustrating trying to get reasonable answers from the forum. The response comes back as if money were never a consideration. I think most seem to think that anything less than a one ton duelie with a large diesel is a toy. So now that I've said that, I'll tell you what I have done and let you decided. I pulled a 30 foot 1980 Prowler around the country with a old 1/2 ton doge van 318 two barrel 3 speed torque flight. It pulled fine just not fast. Crested most hills at about 45 mph and kept top speed down to 65 mph on the flats. Had an entry level WDH and friction sway control. Only mods to the van was 3.55 rear in place of the 3.08, large radiator, and a transmission cooler. You might discuss the health of that vehicles cooling system with a knowledgeable mechanic but otherwise sounds like you have a great rig for family fun! Take a couple of trips under two hundred miles to work the kinks out and enjoy.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:50 PM   #12
RetiredRVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRob View Post
It's a little frustrating trying to get reasonable answers from the forum. The response comes back as if money were never a consideration. I think most seem to think that anything less than a one ton duelie with a large diesel is a toy. So now that I've said that, I'll tell you what I have done and let you decided. I pulled a 30 foot 1980 Prowler around the country with a old 1/2 ton doge van 318 two barrel 3 speed torque flight. It pulled fine just not fast. Crested most hills at about 45 mph and kept top speed down to 65 mph on the flats. Had an entry level WDH and friction sway control. Only mods to the van was 3.55 rear in place of the 3.08, large radiator, and a transmission cooler. You might discuss the health of that vehicles cooling system with a knowledgeable mechanic but otherwise sounds like you have a great rig for family fun! Take a couple of trips under two hundred miles to work the kinks out and enjoy.
Exactly! This isn't rocket science!

Old 04-03-2016, 10:30 PM   #13
MCTroy

We towed a 31 foot Mallard TT packed heavy with a 1/2 ton dodge passenger van , 318 v8, WDH, and sway bar. Slow and steady up hills and watched our gauges. No problem. Finally upgraded to a 3/4 ton dodge van. 383 v8 that sucked the gas like it was water! But it didn't tow any better! Give your rig a try. Take it easy. Tow without water tanks full and watch what your van does. It Will tell you if it is straining. Good luck.
Hurry Spring 2018! We have plans ready!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #14
RiderBloke

The figures quoted by various people put this very near my 26RR towed by a 5.7L Tundra. I am currently on the road - actually as I write I'm eating in an iHop. I use an Equal-izer hitch and the rig tows well. However it takes some patience and throttle control on the hills so that I don't annoy the trucks. You will find the same with the Nissan and your rig I suspect. Get the Nissan rigged for towing, buy an Equal-izer tow system and have it installed properly and give it a go. Ask othe RVers you meet for help - I still do and they always do.

RiderBloke is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer, wildwood