Old 11-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
Another rat in the race
Help with a Step Mod

I am considering doing the axle flip with my trailer (will add about 5 1/4" per other posts) to allow a bit more clearance for the dirt roads in our foothills but was wondering instead of just carrying an extra step could I change the folding 2 step set up to a 3 step set up.

I figure that would drop the step box a little, but the box is just before my tires so dragging the step box would not be a big problem its not like I will be rock crawling this thing just don't want to drag the back end going up a hill.

A rainy day camping is better than any sunny day at work
2004 F250 V10 SD Xcab 2011 Wildwood T26BHXL
jar3316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
You may want to look at
It is portable and hooks on to what you already have.
I have one and it is very stable.
Could be an option for you.

dap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
I did an axle flip on my T26bhxl and have thought about the triple step a couple of times. I carry a step, one of the nice $78, 4inch aluminum ones it folds up and fits nicely right inside the door with our out-door mat. Also we carry 4 ˝ inch blocks(3-2x6 screwed together) for all stabilizers. We do not always use the extra step but is much more comfortable when we do.
On my last TT I swapped axles, a drop axle for a straight axle, giving me two inches and tire size for another inch, three inch total, a new step was only $65 so I cut out the old single step and welded in the double step. Worked great and might do it again(triple step this time) if I didn’t already have this free standing step. It ends up I kind of like having a good free-standing step; I dont carry a ladder and having the step helps with window cleaning and and stuff. One issues I would think about is curb-side, if you do a lot of camping or loading curb-side check your final height. My old camper was right at the curb and my new one is good without an extra step curb-side, may not be important but most designs have to be fully extended to use. Another issue is, as you put on more steps your canter leaver gets greater so secure it well.
Please post after your flip and step install its nice to hear about mods and how they work out.
Good Luck
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
Incheon, S. Korea
I couldn't get the link to work.
Me, Julie, Lil' Barry, Faith, and OSDs, Fang and Treaty
2003 Hyundai Starex (H1), 2012 Coachmen Clipper 126
I don't know when we'll be able to go camping again...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote